• Dahlin

• Pettersson

• Tkachuk

• other (Who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Rookie of the year should not only be the best statistical performance, it should regard the best performance taking into account age and talent. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but thats my opinion. I think its not just an award about who has the best statistical performance in a given season. I think its an award about who you want representing the league in that category for that given year.

I also think you could make a good case that what Dahlin is doing this season has less precedent than what Pettersson is doing. Dahlin's having one of the 2-3 best 18 year old seasons for a defenseman. Pettersson's 20 year old season probably doesn't even reach the top 30 of 20 year old seasons. He'll score a lot more points, but I don't think thats all the award should be.

this is petterssons 19 year old season not his 20

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted EP

could see Dahlin winning by season end tho. he's really good - half the year to go too

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rookie of the year should not only be the best statistical performance, it should regard the best performance taking into account age and talent. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but thats my opinion. I think its not just an award about who has the best statistical performance in a given season. I think its an award about who you want representing the league in that category for that given year.

I also think you could make a good case that what Dahlin is doing this season has less precedent than what Pettersson is doing. Dahlin's having one of the 2-3 best 18 year old seasons for a defenseman. Pettersson's 20 year old season probably doesn't even reach the top 30 of 20 year old seasons. He'll score a lot more points, but I don't think thats all the award should be.

That's an opinion not how the actual award is set up though.

I think defensive Dmen get short shrift in norris voting but that doesn't taint in how I think voting will (and sometimes should) go .

And exactly how is one to interpret and account for age and talent?

Voting can get subjective enough in times, those conditions would open the flood gates.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Only 12 games this season was he 19. I'm considering it his 20 year old season, but I don't think it matters.

It's still only his 2nd year after the draft. That's what matters. It should been seen as one year of development over Dahlin. Pettersson wasn't even eligible to play in the league for his "18 year old season" based on your standards

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's an opinion not how the actual award is set up though.

I think defensive Dmen get short shrift in norris voting but that doesn't taint in how I think voting will (and sometimes should) go .

And exactly how is one to interpret and account for age and talent?

Voting can get subjective enough in times, those conditions would open the flood gates.

These votes are all subjective. There is no set criteria. Everyone has their own criteria.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
The Dahlin/Heiskanen race for 2nd place is closer than the gap between Pettersson and 2nd.

Apparently not, according to NHL.com's most recent Calder Tracker.

For me, though, I agree. Has to go:

Pettersson
Dahlin/Heiskanen (edge to Heiskanen, but close enough)
White
Tkachuk

NHL.com said:
A panel of 20 NHL.com writers voted for the winner of the Calder Trophy after the first half of the season, and the consensus was that Pettersson will be the first Sweden-born forward to be named top rookie in the NHL since Gabriel Landeskog of the Colorado Avalanche in 2012. Pettersson received 100 points and all 20 first-place votes.

Buffalo Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin was second with 71 points; Ottawa Senators forward Brady Tkachuk was third (51 points); Dallas Stars defenseman Miro Heiskanen was fourth (39 points); and Senators forward Colin White was fifth (20 points).

Pettersson favorite for Calder Trophy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The age you are when the regular season ends is your age.
It is generally considered your age as viewed by the IIHF rules. That means, whatever age you are as of January 1st 2019 (Making it 18 for Dahlin, 19 for Tkachuk and Heiskanen, and 20 for Pettersson). Although, I don't think age and performance relative to age should be factored in. The question asks who was the best rookie that was eligible, not who was the best rookie relative to age.

I'd vote for Pettersson at this point. For him to win it at the end of the year he needs to stay healthy and continue to perform at a high level.

somebody

Nov 2, 2006
Would you please elaborate on why?
I think what Heiskanen does as rookie defender is much more rare than what Petterson does. But I have no problem what so ever if Petterson takes the trophy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
These votes are all subjective. There is no set criteria. Everyone has their own criteria.

True enough but adding how one plays for their age and their talent level (which is never relevant in any individual season of play) just blows the doors of the subjectivity meter.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think what Heiskanen does as rookie defender is much more rare than what Petterson does. But I have no problem what so ever if Petterson takes the trophy.
Pettersson is one of five active players who have scored at least 40 points in their first 40 games. The other 4? Crosby, OV, Malkin and McDavid.

What exactly is Heiskanen doing that is more rare?

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Pettersson is one of five active players who have scored at least 40 points in their first 40 games. The other 4? Crosby, OV, Malkin and McDavid.

What exactly is Heiskanen doing that is more rare?

Uhh, let's see... Only 4 u20 dmen ever, have scored goals at the same or higher pace with at least 40 gp, those players?

Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque, Phil Housley and Bobby Orr.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Uhh, let's see... Only 4 u20 dmen ever, have scored goals at the same or higher pace with at least 40 gp, those players?

Larry Murphy, Ray Bourque, Phil Housley and Bobby Orr.

I mean, it's still only 4 goals, and on pace for 8. It's impressive that he's playing well at 18, but the goal numbers are so low they're not really statistically significant. For instance, Doughty had 6 as a teenager. Hedman had 4. Karlsson had 5 in 60 games, etc.

Edit: nevermind, was thinking of Dahlin

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad