Half-Life: Alyx

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As someone who doesn't really follow them too closely this is more or less what I had always been expecting from Valve concerning Half Life. Not really sure specifically why they left Episode 2 off an a cliff hanger and give us episode 3, but concerning Half Life 3 my impression was that with HL1 and HL2 being ground breaking each in their own right they didn't want to release a HL3 that would just to be an iterative improvement on HL2 and not all that different from all the other shooters on the market. Rather, they were going to sit on HL3 till they could make it as ground breaking as HL1 and HL2 were, and the route to get there would be through VR.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I always figured that was Valve's plan too. Half Life was always kind of the shooter to revolutionize shooters. They weren't just going to make HL3 just to do it. They needed a revolutionary way to do it. VR is that way. Still bummed they left off at episode 2 without completing the story but cool to see they're doing more content after all these years.

And while Arizona Sunshine is great, there are so many other great VR titles. The absolute must haves IMO are Beat Saber and Pavlov.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
As someone who doesn't really follow them too closely this is more or less what I had always been expecting from Valve concerning Half Life. Not really sure specifically why they left Episode 2 off an a cliff hanger and give us episode 3, but concerning Half Life 3 my impression was that with HL1 and HL2 being ground breaking each in their own right they didn't want to release a HL3 that would just to be an iterative improvement on HL2 and not all that different from all the other shooters on the market. Rather, they were going to sit on HL3 till they could make it as ground breaking as HL1 and HL2 were, and the route to get there would be through VR.

They get into it here.

They still won't make the next mainline entry VR only.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does this mark a full return to the series? Should we expect more?
Yes. It’s probably no surprise that many people at Valve have been wanting to get back to the Half-Life universe for a long time, and this experience has only reinforced that. In the process of creating Half-Life: Alyx, we’ve had to explore new ways to tell stories with these characters and this world, and we’ve discovered a lot of new gameplay experiences that go beyond what we’ve been able to do before. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see how people react to Half-Life: Alyx once it’s out, but we’d love to continue pushing forward.​

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
All that's old is new again.

Diablo 4
HL 3
WoW Classic

What's next?

Starcraft 3
Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 (a real one written in Assembly the whole way through)

Also:

Age of Empires IV
Baldur's Gate III
System Shock 3

Each of those is the first sequel in its franchise in 15-20 years.

Reactions: JBeast

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Hopefully L4D is getting revived as well. Makes a lot of sense as another title to push the Index.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
While I never got into Half-Life back in the day, Valve developing games again is nothing but good.

That trailer does look pretty great.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm trying to get the Index with the knuckle controllers. I just want to upgrade from my Vive but I heard it's A LOT better with knuckle controllers so I'll wait until I get them. Unfortunately, they're on back order. No idea when I'm going to get them, hopefully early-mid May.

I did hear it's incredible though, game of the year quality.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm trying to get the Index with the knuckle controllers. I just want to upgrade from my Vive but I heard it's A LOT better with knuckle controllers so I'll wait until I get them. Unfortunately, they're on back order. No idea when I'm going to get them, hopefully early-mid May.

I did hear it's incredible though, game of the year quality.

The new controllers in particular look like stunningly cool tech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad