Half-Life: Alyx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Holy crap

Is this it? Is this actually going to be Half-Life 3?!

I imagine that they would've called it Half-Life 3 and it wouldn't be VR-only if it were. This is likely a spin-off game... but it's an encouraging sign that Valve is finally returning to the Half-Life franchise. Maybe they're secretly working on Half-Life 3 alongside this and/or this is testing the waters and could convince them to go ahead with it if this game is successful.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I imagine that they would've called it Half-Life 3 and it wouldn't be VR-only if it were. This is likely a spin-off game... but it's an encouraging sign that Valve is finally returning to the Half-Life franchise. Maybe they're secretly working on Half-Life 3 alongside this and/or this is testing the waters and could convince them to go ahead with it if this game is successful.

Do they really need a VR game to convince them HL3 would be successful?

Really?

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
I am optimistic. VR is the next stage in development, maybe this is the next stage for HL.
Granted, I think the magic of the franchise might have passed them by, as all the talent left long ago, but I am still going to be optimistic about this.

The pessimistic part of me thinks this is just to push the Index which would be really lame.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
People had speculated for years that Half-Life 3 would be a VR title to help sell the technology. Well they were close.

I expect this title will be a big leap forward for VR.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Do they really need a VR game to convince them HL3 would be successful?

Really?

I didn't suggest that they do. They do seem to need some kind of convincing to finally make HL3, though, and being reminded of how much people (including themselves) love the franchise could, maybe, be the boost that they need. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Everyone should be over HL3 by now. The people responsible for the previous two are long gone. Leave the series dead. I'm at peace.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
caf5c02133e17ba5072753d74f71cd20.png

Pictued: Not an accident

Also, the game is already free to all Index owners, regardless of when you bought it or the Index controllers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Everyone should be over HL3 by now. The people responsible for the previous two are long gone. Leave the series dead. I'm at peace.

Wolpaw, Laidlaw, and Pinkerton all came back to Valve. Plus they absorbed Campo Santo (Firewatch), all of which worked on Alyx. Chet Faliszek runs his own company now so he can chime in if Valve wants him to. Even Kelly Bailey (sound, music) is back.

Given the positive response to this and the gang getting back together in the last year or so, I'm more confident than ever that we will actually see HL3 at some point.

If you've never read his piece for HL2, it's a must:
The Final Hours of Half-Life 2

SecretSoupyHerald-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Given the positive response to this and the gang getting back together in the last year or so, I'm more confident than ever that we will actually see HL3 at some point.

Agreed. I think this is a stepping stone to HL3, which I assume will also be a VR title. I bet we see it within the next 4-5 years.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
That trailer... holy f*** that looks absolutely amazing.

And when you mean free, does that mean that if I were to get the Index now, I would be able to get the game for free?

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm actually probably going to be upgrading to an Index from my OG Vive. I heard the screen is a lot better and the knuckle controllers are awesome. I've been on the fence about upgrading but getting this for free is a pretty big motivator to upgrade.

For anyone who hasn't tried VR, it's legit. It's expensive but it's definitely worth the ticket of entry. Playing VR games for the first time is like playing video games for the first time again. There's a whole level of magic as you enter a whole new world that you get to experience everything for the first time. It's a feeling I haven't felt in 20 years playing games as they're just games when you've been playing forever. In VR, it's way more than just a game. It's awesome having to move around yourself and do everything in a game rather than press a few buttons on a controller. The tracking is absolutely perfect too, this isn't the BS motion controls of the Wii days, this is 1:1 imitation and everything feels so natural.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad