Proposal: Halak to Oilers

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
We all know Edmonton still doesn't have a a real #1. Isles have 3 goalies and have their own problems.

Oilers receive: Jaro Halak/Calvin Dehaan/Kulimin/Dal Colle

Islanders receive: Jordan Eberle/Pat Maroon/Mark Fayne

This is a trade both sides can truly benefit from. I know some Oiler fans will say that don't need another lefty D but DeHaan is worth it.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
We all know Edmonton still doesn't have a a real #1. Isles have 3 goalies and have their own problems.

This is a trade both sides can truly benefit from. I know some Oiler fans will say that don't need another lefty D but DeHaan is worth it.

As an islander fan I do not like it one bit.

I'd rather keep MDC and de Haan. I like Eberle, but there are too many players involved in this proposal. I would prefer to try and move Nelson or Strome in an attempt to acquire Eberle.

I'd try and dump Kulemin 25% retained for a 6th round pick.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
But if you guys move Halak then you won't have a real #1 goalie. You guys should probably just keep your real #1 goalie. For real.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

The Oilers do have a #1 and he's better than Halak. The Oilers have absolutely zero need for middle pairing LH shot defensemen. They need to trade away a few. The Oilers will eventually need to trade Eberle when the likes of McDavid, Nurse, Draisaitl etc need contracts, but trading him now means the Oilers top RW would be Yakubust. If we get a great offer for him, sure. This isn't it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The value's actually not awful.

The Oilers can't afford to lose more offense after dealing Hall though, so it probably kills the trade.

The funny thing is that Halak might be the least significant piece in this deal and he's the only one mentioned in the title.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

How so? Talbot was decent last year in the second half and was great at the worlds recently. He's slowly becoming a #1. This upcoming season will be another test.

Pass.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Call me crazy but I think Maroon is such a beast when playing with the right players. Feel like Oilers robbed Ducks trading for him. And as far as Talbot being better than Halak thats nuts. Talbot has proven nothing as a number one. Halak would be an upgrade.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
How so? Talbot was decent last year in the second half and was great at the worlds recently. He's slowly becoming a #1. This upcoming season will be another test.

Pass.

Not saying Talbot not a good goalie but when you put an experienced goalie on a younger team it makes a huge difference as far as team confidence is concerned. Oilers cannot afford only a "decent second half" again. Halak would also pave the way for Talbot eventually. Most successful teams have a solid two goalie tandem anyway.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nyi need a number goalie as well then. Talbot showed he could do the work load

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Call me crazy but I think Maroon is such a beast when playing with the right players. Feel like Oilers robbed Ducks trading for him. And as far as Talbot being better than Halak thats nuts. Talbot has proven nothing as a number one. Halak would be an upgrade.

If Halak's that good then NY shouldn't be trading him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

No, you THINK that we don't have a #1. Cam Talbot is a very solid goalie and showed last season that he can handle the workload of a #1.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I could see the Oilers top 6 looking something like this:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-RNH-Draisaitl

Maroon will be Lucic lite for us and open up room for RNH and Drai on the second line.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
If Halak's that good then NY shouldn't be trading him.

We have three goalies with two of the three that have enough experience to be a #1. You have a young goaltender in Berube who has dominated the AHL and is definitely ready for the NHL this season. Something is going to happen before October whether we like it or not, Halak should be the most desirable player with a reasonable contract and his experience would benefit a team like the Oilers.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We have three goalies with two of the three that have enough experience to be a #1. You have a young goaltender in Berube who has dominated the AHL and is definitely ready for the NHL this season. Something is going to happen before October whether we like it or not, Halak should be the most desirable player with a reasonable contract and his experience would benefit a team like the Oilers.

Sure.. trading our first line RW and Maroon for a bunch of garbage we don't need and Halak would totally benefit the Oilers. :shakehead

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Lots of people i don't think watched Cam Talbot play at all last year. He was solid.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
No, you THINK that we don't have a #1. Cam Talbot is a very solid goalie and showed last season that he can handle the workload of a #1.

I respect the oiler fans because you guys watch a ton of hockey but I watch and play plenty. We need to revisit this thread in January and really see how Talbot is holding up. I could be wrong but any above average experienced goaltender is needed for a team like this. Two young goalies on a super young team with shaky D is a bad recipe.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Talbot showed us at the Worlds that he's more than capable of being an NHL starter.

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015

I'm sure he would benefit the oilers, but not with that package.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I respect the oiler fans because you guys watch a ton of hockey but I watch and play plenty. We need to revisit this thread in January and really see how Talbot is holding up. I could be wrong but any above average experienced goaltender is needed for a team like this. Two young goalies on a super young team with shaky D is a bad recipe.

Talbot is 29 years old. Gustavsson is the same age as Halak. Trading for him doesn't make any sense Talbot is a better goalie than Halak.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Snow would have loved to move Halak at the draft, but it seems like there were no takers. Bernier just got traded for a conditional pick. Halak certainly isn't a massive upgrade on Talbot, might not even be an upgrade at all.

If we can't trade Halak for anything, then I wonder if Snow would bury his contract down in the minors and recall him if Greiss or Berube gets seriously injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad