Proposal: Halak to Oilers

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
We have three goalies with two of the three that have enough experience to be a #1. You have a young goaltender in Berube who has dominated the AHL and is definitely ready for the NHL this season. Something is going to happen before October whether we like it or not, Halak should be the most desirable player with a reasonable contract and his experience would benefit a team like the Oilers.

Greiss has 15 more career games played than Talbot. How is that dramatically different in terms of proven/unproven?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Call me crazy but I think Maroon is such a beast when playing with the right players. Feel like Oilers robbed Ducks trading for him. And as far as Talbot being better than Halak thats nuts. Talbot has proven nothing as a number one. Halak would be an upgrade.

Umm what has Halak done in recent years to be such an upgrade over Talbot?

He's a decent platoon goalie, who's shown time and again that he can't be fully trusted run with the #1 job (be it due to injury or his own inconsistency).

You're arguing Talbot's proved nothing as a #1, but at the same time one could just as easily argue that he's never failed with any challenge thrown at him, be it in Edmonton, with the NYR, or on the international stage. Nor has he given any reason to believe he would fail once tested.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I respect the oiler fans because you guys watch a ton of hockey but I watch and play plenty. We need to revisit this thread in January and really see how Talbot is holding up. I could be wrong but any above average experienced goaltender is needed for a team like this. Two young goalies on a super young team with shaky D is a bad recipe.

Talbot doesn't have the track record that Halak does but outside of one stretch last season, Talbot was very good for us. We also added Gustavsson albeit he is likely a below average NHL back-up.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Talbot had an awful start, a solid finish. The only way Edmonton makes a trade for Halak is if Talbot goes down with a season-ending injury or is horrible to start the season.

Even then Halak would only garner a mid-round pick as the Isles would be desperate to get rid of their third goaltender

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Always love it when OP puts names in the title that aren't the centerpieces of the trade. Don't fool yourself, this trade is centered around Eberle and De Haan/Dal Colle. Halak is there, but either team doing this trade wouldn't be mainly doing it because of him.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
EDM has no need in anything you are offering so why would we give the best player up, we did that once with Hall to fill a huge need. Why make another hole

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Talbot was awesome in the 2nd half of last season, and was arguably the team MVP in the 2nd half. He's perfectly fine as our #1 goalie. End of story. No deal; not even remotely close to being interested, thank you.

By the numbers, last season Halak had a SV% of 0.919 on a much better team compared to Talbot's 0.917, and Cam had a VERY slow start, but picked it up HUGE in the 2nd half, as I mentioned. Again, this deal is almost laughable, to be 100% honest.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I respect the oiler fans because you guys watch a ton of hockey but I watch and play plenty. We need to revisit this thread in January and really see how Talbot is holding up. I could be wrong but any above average experienced goaltender is needed for a team like this. Two young goalies on a super young team with shaky D is a bad recipe.

and you think Halak is the answer?
The guy is nothing more than a cap dump. Would take Talbot over Halak any day.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
We all know Edmonton still doesn't have a a real #1. Isles have 3 goalies and have their own problems.

Oilers receive: Jaro Halak/Calvin Dehaan/Kulimin/Dal Colle

Islanders receive: Jordan Eberle/Pat Maroon/Mark Fayne

This is a trade both sides can truly benefit from. I know some Oiler fans will say that don't need another lefty D but DeHaan is worth it.

Talbot looks just great...

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Call me crazy but I think Maroon is such a beast when playing with the right players. Feel like Oilers robbed Ducks trading for him. And as far as Talbot being better than Halak thats nuts. Talbot has proven nothing as a number one. Halak would be an upgrade.

Halak hasn't really proven he's a number one. Every team he goes to he gets injured and then his job stolen from a younger goaltender.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
We all know Edmonton still doesn't have a a real #1. Isles have 3 goalies and have their own problems.

This is a trade both sides can truly benefit from. I know some Oiler fans will say that don't need another lefty D but DeHaan is worth it.

Isnt Halak now the back up in NY? and the Oilers gave up alot to get talbot. Do not see them giving up Eberle as the key to getting a position they already have someone. I could see the oilers having interest in De Haan and Dal Colle, but not Halak and Kulimin. But De Haan is another LHD and the oilers actually have too many already

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
I could see the Oilers top 6 looking something like this:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-RNH-Draisaitl

Maroon will be Lucic lite for us and open up room for RNH and Drai on the second line.

If you ice that line combo then you have 3 wingers in Yakupov, Puljujarvi and Pouliot without a capable centre.

hqdefault.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you ice that line combo then you have 3 wingers in Yakupov, Puljujarvi and Pouliot without a capable centre.

hqdefault.jpg

The offseason isn't done yet. If we don't make anymore moves we'd have Letestu as the 3C and Khaira, Lander or Hendricks as the 4C.

Pouliot-Letestu-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-Khaira-Kassian

That tells you that odds are that we move out at least one more forward as that's not even including Yakupov. Or you roll with the 3 scoring lines approach:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov (Yak seems to have better chemistry with Drai than RNH)
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen, Khaira/Lander

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

GTFO :laugh: The Islanders dont have a true #1 either

Avenger*

What an awful proposal. It's like you took every single player you wanted to get rid of, didn't consider a single Oilers need and then asked for players the Oilers have no reason to move.

Good job. :handclap:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What a horrible proposal. Thanks OP for wasting everyone's time by starting a thread with a stupid premise that the Oilers don't have a number 1 goalie.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Since January, Talbot was one of the better goalies in the league. The guy is really solid and stood on his head at the World's. No from both sides.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Edmonton has both Talbot and Gustavsson, Chiarelli isn't going to trade for Halak. Just isn't happening.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Talbot > Halak

Talbot has out played Halak since Talbot has joined the NHL... I am not saying Halak is bad, just he simply is not a good as Talbot.

Talbot 113GP .924 S%
Halak 147GP .917 S%

... and Talbot has played behind worse D than Halak.

De haan = Davidson... we do not have a need for this player

Kulemin - want no part of that contract

MDC - he could go wither way right now. He has not developed as expected. Although, he did have a strong back half after being traded to Kingston.

Nope, would not do this trade from an Oiler perspective... we need Eberle's scoring and Maroon's physical play. Fayne, he is just there... let's hope with his commitment to coming into camp in shape he becomes the Dman were thought we were signing.

The main piece the Oiler are missing right now is a puck moving RH D. I don't see that asset in this bunch. That being said, I have a strong suspicion the Canucks are going to need a goalie before the mid way point of the upcoming season... unless they are tanking. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->