Eklund Rumor: Halak to Maple Leafs

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I'd want Matthews, but would most likely settle for Marner or Nylander.

I get the sarcasm but on a serious note I don't there is single piece apart from Tavares which can land Islanders Matthews, Nylander or even Marner.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I get the sarcasm but on a serious note I don't there is single piece apart from Tavares which can land Islanders Matthews, Nylander or even Marner.

Not likely, but our system is very deep with talent wingers so there may be something to talk about by the end of the year if any of them really raise their stock, like Kapanen having a good year in the AHL

Islanders seem to have some good forward prospects too though: Barzal, Beauvillier, Dal Colle (if he can right the ship)

Pulock would be a nice target for the leafs

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not likely, but our system is very deep with talent wingers so there may be something to talk about by the end of the year if any of them really raise their stock, like Kapanen having a good year in the AHL

Islanders seem to have some good forward prospects too though: Barzal, Beauvillier, Dal Colle (if he can right the ship)

I like the leafs prospects. They fit today's NHL game really well. Speed,skating, and skill.

Isles have JHS Barzal and Beau to fit that mold.

Marner and Nylander are going to be good. Leafs have some young core in thier hands. I know everyone Jokes about Tavares going there but if the isles continue to make bone headed decisions TOR would be very attractive to him. Tavares and Matthews down the middles with Marner and Nylander to support them would be downright scary. Obviously I hope and pray that never happens.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm surprised ppl still read this guys posts...

I'm sure he has connections in the league. He has broke a couple things first, so it's not that I think he's a total sham and fraud artist.

It's just that there's not nearly as much movement or discussion as what he claims. He's got a new rumor or three every day. I feel like a lot of this stuff is just fabricated.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Halak to the Maple Leafs could make sense, unlike Howard to Boston.

I think it makes sense on one hand because they might want someone other than Enroth to maybe mentor and share the net with Andersen. Halak is not much older than Andersen, but older than Enroth and a better goaltender than Enroth.

Of course, I think Andersen would absolutely be playing more games than Halak, which is why trading for Halak with one whole year after this remaining on his contract, does not make much sense.

I don't really think Halak is tradeable right now. He's not bad, unlike quite a few guys under contract for multiple years remaining (Lehtonen, Howard, Rinne, Smith. Ward) but he's not good enough for anyone to take him on either. Maybe if this was his last year, it would make sense for a team with an injury (LAK) or a team with TERRIBLE goaltending (Carolina) to take him on.

I expect him to be one of the leading candidates to get picked up by Las Vegas next year in the expansion draft. Him, Howard or Smith. They'd probably take Rinne in the unlikely event that he was exposed, if not for the name power that some of the other options don't have. Lehtonen and Ward are just horrendous and probably aren't going anywhere but to a buyout. Not that Carolina would buy out Ward.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
good job eklund raking in that cash. I need to make one of those sites and make up ******** rumors so I don't have to go to work anymore and can just drink beer and watch hockey and football. I Mean I could probably make up better bs then that. Then I'll invite a couple people that also know nothing and make up even more bs and call it a buzzcast.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I think it makes sense on one hand because they might want someone other than Enroth to maybe mentor and share the net with Andersen. Halak is not much older than Andersen, but older than Enroth and a better goaltender than Enroth.

Of course, I think Andersen would absolutely be playing more games than Halak, which is why trading for Halak with one whole year after this remaining on his contract, does not make much sense.

I don't really think Halak is tradeable right now. He's not bad, unlike quite a few guys under contract for multiple years remaining (Lehtonen, Howard, Rinne, Smith. Ward) but he's not good enough for anyone to take him on either. Maybe if this was his last year, it would make sense for a team with an injury (LAK) or a team with TERRIBLE goaltending (Carolina) to take him on.

I expect him to be one of the leading candidates to get picked up by Las Vegas next year in the expansion draft. Him, Howard or Smith. They'd probably take Rinne in the unlikely event that he was exposed, if not for the name power that some of the other options don't have. Lehtonen and Ward are just horrendous and probably aren't going anywhere but to a buyout. Not that Carolina would buy out Ward.

Why the actual (!"/!("/$* would Vegas take Rinne?

On topic, the rumor make no sense whatsoever, because, to me, this is the last season of the Maple Leafs "tanking" schedule. And Halak might be bad for this, and he also a very likely candidate to be taken by Vegas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It might make sense in the off season because Enroth is a UFA after this year so we will need a goalie and I don't think sparks or Bibeau will be ready.

That said I wonder if it wouldn't be better for us to sign a guy like Mason or Greiss if they hit UFA or a guy that like Howard or Lethenio. Or Niemi if they get bought out they won't cost assets.

Not that Halak would cost much he could probably be had for a song.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It might make sense in the off season because Enroth is a UFA after this year so we will need a goalie and I don't think sparks or Bibeau will be ready.

That said I wonder if it wouldn't be better for us to sign a guy like Mason or Greiss if they hit UFA or a guy that like Howard or Lethenio. Or Niemi if they get bought out they won't cost assets.

Not that Halak would cost much he could probably be had for a song.

Well Halak could be useful in that you can actually just make him available in the Exp. Draft, something you cannot do with Enroth if he isn't signed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why the actual (!"/!("/$* would Vegas take Rinne?

On topic, the rumor make no sense whatsoever, because, to me, this is the last season of the Maple Leafs "tanking" schedule. And Halak might be bad for this, and he also a very likely candidate to be taken by Vegas.

We aren't tanking this year, we might end up sucking, but we aren't tanking.

Tanking is when you intentionally put a terrible product on the ice to get a pick.

We did that last year and it worked we got Mathews

But this year while we do have some stop gap players most of them are on the marlins with the exception of a couple like Polak and maybe Bozak

The rest are with the marlins

The goal this year isn't to tank they clearly want to improve and take a step forward

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Actually Leafs do have cap issues as likely Nylander/Matthews/Marner will hit several bonus marks which you don't get LTIR protection from.

This would make zero sense.

What does make sense is Rumour * (Star player + Leafs) = $$$$ E7

They dont have cap issues. The Leafs just bury anyone they want on LTIR with fake injuries and the NHL lets them do it because its Toronto. Its not right but I get it

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We aren't tanking this year, we might end up sucking, but we aren't tanking.

Tanking is when you intentionally put a terrible product on the ice to get a pick.

We did that last year and it worked we got Mathews

But this year while we do have some stop gap players most of them are on the marlins with the exception of a couple like Polak and maybe Bozak

The rest are with the marlins

The goal this year isn't to tank they clearly want to improve and take a step forward

Yeah, bad word choice of my part.
I should've sais something like "aren't aiming for the playoffs".

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, bad word choice of my part.
I should've sais something like "aren't aiming for the playoffs".

Babcock is though he came out and said it when he said he wanted 6 out of every 10 points or about 96 points on the year

But as long as Marincin is in the top 4 that can't happen

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Yea, no.

Andersen is slowly getting into form after sitting out with an injury up until the first preseason games. Besides, coaches are focusing on team defense on this team, that will get better through training and games with so many new faces, and if anything happens its probably in regard to that, be it forwards or defenders, everyones part responsible for how the team d has looked (besides the kids whos been amazing)

Edit: I probably should just've let this topic die.

Last edited:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Yeah, I 100% support the Leafs investing $10M into 2 starting calibre goalies. I look forward to seeing one of them cannibalizing the other's starts.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Man...

Hal Gill and Josh Gorges made him look better all series against OV and the Caps than he actually is, okay? You're overrating this guy. Now, if you wanna talk about Gorges for Matthews or Nylander, you might be taken seriously.

Gorges has a corsi of like 10 when not with Risto. Halak is a million times more likely to get a big return, Gorges can't skate.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Has eklund ever had any credibility?

He called some pretty crazy Flyers stuff a few years back. The day they traded Richards and Carter. Those are some of my favourite threads to look back on. Flyers fans were losing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad