Confirmed with Link: Hagelin and 59/179 for Etem and 41

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
What fact? There's nothing about him that suggests he's only a third-line player, never mind this team's depth chart. He'd be a second-line winger on most teams. What automatically makes him a third-liner? You didn't clarify this. You merely stated it as fact with nothing to support it.
Watched him play (kinda like I watched Sekac play too) and he's points production on a team that's not really high in offensive talent. He's realistically slightly better offensively than Cogliano (who's BTW also a third liner).

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Hagelin is a breakaway fiend. And he converts on so few of them. The general maxim, though, is he would get fewer of those opportunities in the West.

I'm not even sure I would rate him better than Cogliano offensively.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
At $3.5MM, Hagelin is equal to 1.7 Stoners or Cogliano+Wagner, just for perspective.

Kidding aside, I see Hagelin netting around $3.5MM just because we are seeing a bit of salary inflation going on again, and if Cogs signed today that's probably what he'd get as well. I don't think Hags should get more than $3MM though, but then I don't agree with 90% of the contracts signed in the last couple seasons.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Hagelin is a breakaway fiend. And he converts on so few of them. The general maxim, though, is he would get fewer of those opportunities in the West.

I'm not even sure I would rate him better than Cogliano offensively.
He's sligthly better at getting looks and being in the right spot. But I do agree he'll get fewer of those opportunities in the West.

Here are his goal: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474176&lang=en (watching some of those it's not unrealistic to entertain possibility of him scoring less than for Rangers)

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don't know, I just watched all the goals from 2015 and one was a breakaway. The rest seem to show a guy with a pretty balanced goal scoring skill set. It looks to me like he'll do very well here.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I don't know, I just watched all the goals from 2015 and one was a breakaway. The rest seem to show a guy with a pretty balanced goal scoring skill set. It looks to me like he'll do very well here.

I agree. He also has a much better shot than Cogliano and his size allows him to battle more in front and get a few greasy goals.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Watched him play (kinda like I watched Sekac play too) and he's points production on a team that's not really high in offensive talent. He's realistically slightly better offensively than Cogliano (who's BTW also a third liner).

He was literally a third-liner on the Rangers much the same way Maroon was literally a first-liner (in the playoffs at least). But his goal production and ice-time would make him a second-liner on most teams. That's why the Rangers let him go. Nash and Kreider are ahead of him and he's due to get paid more than a third-liner and that's too expensive for them. He's due to be at least a second-liner for us and will be paid like it I imagine. He would be an absolutely moron for passing up an arbitration filing if it wasn't assured to him that he'd be getting at least three million.

The labels you're placing on these players is a little too rigid especially when we're talking about a team coached by a man who doesn't lock down wingers in defined first, second, third, fourth-line roles beyond Perry and Jackman. I mean Cogliano had the highest ice-time for left wingers and was second in goals. He literally played on the second line 17 times. To me that doesn't automatically classify him as a third-liner. He's clearly capable of being a second-liner and is paid like it. Hagelin will too.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If you guys don't mind a Ranger fan jumping in here I think you're going to love Hagelin. I'm sure some discussion will come from whatever cap hit he takes up, but forgetting financials, you'll love watching him every game as a player.

He has that exciting breakaway speed with a motor that's constantly pushing. When you think of speed like that, it's fun to think about breakaways but, because he's always going 110%, it's the little things that really stand out like backchecking and catching a guy on a breakaway, beating out a definite icing or how he can almost cover two guys on a fresh PK. His board play is also great because he shifts both gears and directions so fast and he's solid with that in both zones.

Now, the scoring isn't totally there, yet. He gets a little streaky and you'd think he score more with all his breakaways(which aren't from cherry picking), but he hasn't put that one, last piece to the puzzle yet consistently. That doesn't mean he won't though. He's got the rest of the tools put in place and the experience to still produce more on the score sheets.

Not that I expect him to turn into the same player, but Marty St Louis didn't really hit his stride until 26-27 yrs old. Some guys have to get that confidence that they belong first and then they can make the next step. Different NHL, I know but I still think Hags can become a consistent 40-50 point guy. A new system and fresh linemates can also be a good thing.

TL;DR I'm gonna miss watching Hags, big time, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If you guys don't mind a Ranger fan jumping in here I think you're going to love Hagelin. I'm sure some discussion will come from whatever cap hit he takes up, but forgetting financials, you'll love watching him every game as a player.

He has that exciting breakaway speed with a motor that's constantly pushing. When you think of speed like that, it's fun to think about breakaways but, because he's always going 110%, it's the little things that really stand out like backchecking and catching a guy on a breakaway, beating out a definite icing or how he can almost cover two guys on a fresh PK. His board play is also great because he shifts both gears and directions so fast and he's solid with that in both zones.

Now, the scoring isn't totally there, yet. He gets a little streaky and you'd think he score more with all his breakaways(which aren't from cherry picking), but he hasn't put that one, last piece to the puzzle yet consistently. That doesn't mean he won't though. He's got the rest of the tools put in place and the experience to still produce more on the score sheets.

Not that I expect him to turn into the same player, but Marty St Louis didn't really hit his stride until 26-27 yrs old. Some guys have to get that confidence that they belong first and then they can make the next step. Different NHL, I know but I still think Hags can become a consistent 40-50 point guy. A new system and fresh linemates can also be a good thing.

TL;DR I'm gonna miss watching Hags, big time, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Cheers brother.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Add another NYR fan who is sad Hagelin was traded. You'll love what he brings to the ice. His speed makes him perform well in any kind of situation, from 1st to 4th line, he contributes. He neutralizes zone clogging very well, his teammates can just dump the puck in his corner an he'll be there, while stretching the defense out, creating space for his teammates.

In today's game, mobility in a player is very important and Hagelin brings it in spades. Like already mentioned, he's a great possession player and plays well two ways. His board work is excellent. His scoring isn't exactly elite, but he'll chip in here and there. But it was never his own point production that made Hagelin an important player in NYR anyway, it was everything else.

And in the playoffs, he'll grow. According to his own analysis, it's because in the playoffs all the other players try to increase their speed and intensity and have to play the game at a speed they're not used to, while Hagelin always plays at high speed, which gives him the advantage.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Another Ranger Fan. I've been watching the Rangers for almost 30 years, and I am one of those guys who roots for the name on the front of the sweater, not the one on the back, but I'm going to miss Hagelin. You will love this guy. He makes so many good plays that don't get tracked by stats. His speed changes the way the opposition has to play. Yes he's a third liner, but that means he matches up with 5-6th d-men and there are very few of those guys in this league who can handle him. He is a demon on the forecheck and creates turnovers on the regular. But he is also a nightmare on a cycle in the offensive zone. He's not a straight ahead burner. He turns and corners as well as anyone I have ever seen. If he had better hands, I don't know what his potential would be. He is a hell of a hockey player, and if there were not a cap in this league, you would never have seen him out of a Ranger sweater. One more reason for me to get Center Ice this year. If any of you have any juice, try to get my man a lot of shifts in the first period, please. I can't stay up too late with your WC start times.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Another Ranger Fan. I've been watching the Rangers for almost 30 years, and I am one of those guys who roots for the name on the front of the sweater, not the one on the back, but I'm going to miss Hagelin. You will love this guy. He makes so many good plays that don't get tracked by stats. His speed changes the way the opposition has to play. Yes he's a third liner, but that means he matches up with 5-6th d-men and there are very few of those guys in this league who can handle him. He is a demon on the forecheck and creates turnovers on the regular. But he is also a nightmare on a cycle in the offensive zone. He's not a straight ahead burner. He turns and corners as well as anyone I have ever seen. If he had better hands, I don't know what his potential would be. He is a hell of a hockey player, and if there were not a cap in this league, you would never have seen him out of a Ranger sweater. One more reason for me to get Center Ice this year. If any of you have any juice, try to get my man a lot of shifts in the first period, please. I can't stay up too late with your WC start times.

Thanks for the 411! For some reason, those characteristics remind me of Sekac. Obviously, Cogs too.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ranger fan here. I come in peace. Any idea when Hags will have his new contract done? Hags is best friends with my favorite player (Zooks) and he was 2nd favorite Ranger before the trade. From a personal viewpoint I hated to lose him. Hags has very good speed although I felt he might have lost a small bit in the last season or so. When I say small I mean small. He is still fast. Because of his speed I think some people have a mis-impression of him. Hags is not a big breakaway guy. He scores many of his goals on wraparounds or other hustle plays within 15-20 feet of the net. Last season he also scored quite a few on empty nets. I always felt Hags had 20-20 potential. I saw some people mention scoring 30 in a season. Anything is possible but that would be a surprise. Last season Hags did not raise his game in the playoffs BUT he has in most seasons. In fact in some playoff seasons he was one of our best performers. I do not know why he dropped off in last seasons playoff production. Maybe he was worried about his friend (Zooks) who had a scary injury.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for all of the scouting reports. I am really looking forward to watching him play. I think we will be forgetting about Beleskey, Etem and Palmieri as soon as the first puck drops.

Hope his deal gets done soon.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Ranger fan here. I come in peace. Any idea when Hags will have his new contract done? Hags is best friends with my favorite player (Zooks) and he was 2nd favorite Ranger before the trade. From a personal viewpoint I hated to lose him. Hags has very good speed although I felt he might have lost a small bit in the last season or so. When I say small I mean small. He is still fast. Because of his speed I think some people have a mis-impression of him. Hags is not a big breakaway guy. He scores many of his goals on wraparounds or other hustle plays within 15-20 feet of the net. Last season he also scored quite a few on empty nets. I always felt Hags had 20-20 potential. I saw some people mention scoring 30 in a season. Anything is possible but that would be a surprise. Last season Hags did not raise his game in the playoffs BUT he has in most seasons. In fact in some playoff seasons he was one of our best performers. I do not know why he dropped off in last seasons playoff production. Maybe he was worried about his friend (Zooks) who had a scary injury.

I think his team is pushing for a one-year deal and the Ducks obviously want to lock him up long-term. Maybe they wanted to wait to see how the arbitration hearings played out before. It's curious that he didn't file for arbitration which would suggest both sides are confident a deal can be made. Maybe Murray is focused on getting Lindholm extended and that's holding up Hags' and Silfverberg's contracts? Considering how long into the summer this has gone on already I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign until camp is about to start.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
My guess is both sides would prefer a multi year deal. But they decided to wait for comparable from the arbitration hearings. They avoid the smearing of arbitration they both get the term and Hagelin gets a reasonable market deal.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
My guess is both sides would prefer a multi year deal. But they decided to wait for comparable from the arbitration hearings. They avoid the smearing of arbitration they both get the term and Hagelin gets a reasonable market deal.

Why? There's plenty of comparable RFA deals they could look at.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Why? There's plenty of comparable RFA deals they could look at.

Inflation? Strengthen his position with more comparable deals? Hagelin was quoted in saying that BM knew what he was looking for contract wise and felt they could get it done. Just my opinion. Nothing more than a feeling. To me I would want the most recent comparable deals to build around because they will reflect the same environment as you are currently negotiating in. A deal 1-2 years old is less representative of the current contract environment.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Hagelin has some serious hair flow, shown at a charity game with Rikard Rakell.

sGl6fta.jpg

RHguMvi.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad