Habs worth $1Billion dollars according to Forbes..

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Gillet put in $25M and cashed out $400M!

Gillet was a visionary who realized the value of the Habs brand (and sports brands in general) and was able to turn around the franchise by hiring a smart hockey man as GM... yes, the much maligned, Bob Gainey.

It was more their President at the time then Gainey, the name slips my mind though, Boisvert maybe??
Anyways, the guy was a marketing genius.....now I'm thinking Boivin, anyways I'm sure someone here remembers

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It was more their President at the time then Gainey, the name slips my mind though, Boisvert maybe??
Anyways, the guy was a marketing genius.....now I'm thinking Boivin, anyways I'm sure someone here remembers

When Gillett took over the Habs payroll was around 27 millions, this is back when Dallas/Detroit/Toronto/Colorado/NYR had a payroll of around 65-80 millions.

As soon Gillett took over the Habs payroll almost doubled and was around 65 millions before the first lock-out.

So yeah Gillett deserves credit, The Molson Brewery wasn't willing to put money on the team and Gillett changed that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
When Gillett took over the Habs payroll was around 27 millions, this is back when Dallas/Detroit/Toronto/Colorado/NYR had a payroll of around 65-80 millions.

As soon Gillett took over the Habs payroll almost doubled and was around 65 millions before the first lock-out.

So yeah Gillett deserves credit, The Molson Brewery wasn't willing to put money on the team and Gillett changed that.

I never said Gillett did not deserve credit, he deserves it in the sense where he put up the cash, but Boivin is the brains behind the HABS going from kingdom to empire. Anyways, I wasn't at the boardroom meetings but I'm under the impression and from what I've heard we have Boivin to thank for the HABS being bigger then life.

habitue*

To be honest it's one of the few times I enjoyed a DD reference outside of a DD thread :laugh: Kudos to the guy who made it.

As if DD would have so much charisma and be a TV personality in Quebec... which is far from being the case.

habitue*

I never said Gillett did not deserve credit, he deserves it in the sense where he put up the cash, but Boivin is the brains behind the HABS going from kingdom to empire. Anyways, I wasn't at the boardroom meetings but I'm under the impression and from what I've heard we have Boivin to thank for the HABS being bigger then life.

Not that much... Caisse de Credit (our money) put lots... Gillett and Boivin (and ray lalonde) did a great job marketing a sub par product (at that time). Gillett was then able to make big cash with the sale to the Molson's brothers.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hum did not Molson merged with Coors to form a new company Molson Coors?

That's correct, they did. All of that Canadian, Coors, Budweiser, etc. is all disgusting though. I'd rather not drink, than drink that stuff. :laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wow. Selling the Habs could solve so many problems, like ending homelessness in Canada and finding cures for otherwise intractable diseases. But... uh... not willing to make that sacrifice...

Well to be fair, some of this homelessness is (surprisingly) intentional. I regularly speak with homeless guys, given the area of town I work in. They're pretty honest about it. Basically, they're pretty content with receiving money from the government/stealing/drinking/having a place to stay in the Ottawa Mission. Obviously many don't like the situation they're in, but you're acting like it's such an easy thing to do. It's like saying "let's end unemployment," which is impossible. That's right, you cannot eliminate unemployment.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Molson is an evil genius... paying DD $15 million over 4 years and getting $280 million over 4 years from the local TV stations!

Wish we had thought of it first. But then again ... without hard cash, you don't get to play with the big boys. The adage of money making money takes hold.

Plus, Club $19.09/ beer doesn't hurt either.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Well to be fair, some of this homelessness is (surprisingly) intentional. I regularly speak with homeless guys, given the area of town I work in. They're pretty honest about it. Basically, they're pretty content with receiving money from the government/stealing/drinking/having a place to stay in the Ottawa Mission. Obviously many don't like the situation they're in, but you're acting like it's such an easy thing to do. It's like saying "let's end unemployment," which is impossible. That's right, you cannot eliminate unemployment.

There are obviously immense challenges, and simply throwing money at it clearly won't solve the problem. But I'm sure with the right minds and a billion bucks and a little cooperation from the right people that some considerable improvements could be made. I think it's the bureaucratic bs, though, that you'd have to go through that would be the stumbling block. And, you're right, always a certain percentage that will choose that lifestyle, but there are so many more still that have that lifestyle thrust upon them. And while some may be able to overcome their circumstances, many just fall victim. Such is life...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Player salaries should go down to 40% of league revenue, when Molson bought the Habs he took on all the risk.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There are obviously immense challenges, and simply throwing money at it clearly won't solve the problem. But I'm sure with the right minds and a billion bucks and a little cooperation from the right people that some considerable improvements could be made. I think it's the bureaucratic bs, though, that you'd have to go through that would be the stumbling block. And, you're right, always a certain percentage that will choose that lifestyle, but there are so many more still that have that lifestyle thrust upon them. And while some may be able to overcome their circumstances, many just fall victim. Such is life...

Absolutely we could help to improve their lifestyles, but ultimately, there's a natural unemployment rate that is unavoidable. This is mainly due to frictional unemployment and cyclical unemployment. To anyone who wants to improve their life, there are a ton of services offered, but many suffer from mental illness, or simply think that they're too far off the edge to come back. It's really sad sometimes, but also frustrating when you see perfectly capable people claim to be hard done by, yet consistently make terrible choices. Many of them are very nice people (albeit kind of scummy in nature), but complain about the hardships they face as though no one else endures any hardship. Obviously no two situations are identical, but you have to wonder what makes some of them feel so entitled. Many capable people are not in the labour force (defined as working, or actively seeking work), and instead feign injuries and illness.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

If these numbers are correct, its not gonna be too long down the road until we're the richest team....I mean obviously Toronto and new York are is a bigger and richer cities, that's why they have the numbers they do....but does anyone really believe we aren't the most popular and iconic hockey team in the world....just laughs fans.:laugh:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If these numbers are correct, its not gonna be too long down the road until we're the richest team....I mean obviously Toronto and new York are is a bigger and richer cities, that's why they have the numbers they do....but does anyone really believe we aren't the most popular and iconic hockey team in the world....just laughs fans.:laugh:

It's practically impossible for us to be worth more than the Rangers or Leafs simply due to the sheer size of their local market. Montreal doesn't compare at all to those cities in terms of population or wealth.

I do however think it's a safe bet to say the Habs are the most iconic and popular team in hockey.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Wow. Selling the Habs could solve so many problems, like ending homelessness in Canada and finding cures for otherwise intractable diseases. But... uh... not willing to make that sacrifice...

Why are you expecting Molson to sacrifice everything for your lefty goal?

What about the guy who would buy the team for 1MM... why don't he save the world instead?

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Why are you expecting Molson to sacrifice everything for your lefty goal?

What about the guy who would buy the team for 1MM... why don't he save the world instead?

(Laughing) Not my lefty goal. Just wondered out loud what good that much money could do is all. Nothing more than lip service on my part, though. I'm hardly well off, but I also realize I could get by with a lot less (like this cell phone I'm using to type this) if I really had philanthropic concerns. Honesty, it's the ones that pretend to care about this, that, and the other, and then live well above their means that piss me off. Interesting question, though, IF you could all but eradicate homelessness in Canada by selling the Habs franchise, would you? Now there's a moral dilemma!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Gillet was genius, buy low (not using your own money) sell high. Boivin and is team did a great job taken the team marketing to new level.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Darn it, I wasn't going to offer more than $500M! Maybe I'll have to setle for the Sabres.:cry:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Still chump change compared to NFL, Premiere Leave and La Liga teams.

NFL team are worth, on average, 1.4B$

Cowboy are at 3B$

If 1/3 is chump change for you, I will gladly take the chump change you leave here and there from you paycheck! :laugh:

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Even threads about the financial state of the NHL takes digs at DD...so tiresome.

The league as a whole is so strong right now. Love'em or Hate'em, The Penguin Gary Bettman has done a fairly solid job working to get TV money and selling the game. Is he the best commish in NA major league sports...hard to say no, isn't it. Not sure I like the idea of putting at team in Vegas, but there are smarting people than I making this decision.

I think the only thing he would do over concerning TV contracts is making the NBC one only 5 or 6 years, not 10. However the NHL had very little leverage at the time they signed the deal and probably preferred the stability that a 10 year deal offered. But overall the league has done well and is growing nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad