Habs worth $1Billion dollars according to Forbes..

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Molson is an evil genius... paying DD $15 million over 4 years and getting $280 million over 4 years from the local TV stations!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Latest NHL team valuations by Forbes places the Montreal Canadiens at $1B dollars!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/11/25/the-most-valuable-teams-in-the-nhl/

One of the factors for the close to 30% jump from last year is the new TV deals including $70M annual local TV money for the Habs. This $70M is mostly from RDS and TVA... the main reason why DD is still a 'Canadiens' IMO.

Even threads about the financial state of the NHL takes digs at DD...so tiresome.

The league as a whole is so strong right now. Love'em or Hate'em, The Penguin Gary Bettman has done a fairly solid job working to get TV money and selling the game. Is he the best commish in NA major league sports...hard to say no, isn't it. Not sure I like the idea of putting at team in Vegas, but there are smarting people than I making this decision.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Jokes aside... TV money is huge and the local media has to be catered too.

So it has nothing to do with the team's great play since MB took over and the fact that they're improving every year?

The team has 1 Quebecois aside from Malhotra... and the local media couldn't care less because the team is winning.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So it has nothing to do with the team's great play since MB took over and the fact that they're improving every year?

The team has 1 Quebecois aside from Malhotra... and the local media couldn't care less because the team is winning.

I know I am counting 3...

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013

DD, PAP and Bournival is 3.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Obviously Forbes didn't look at the advanced stats to come up with that figure :sarcasm:

thom

Mar 6, 2012
George Gillet deserves a lot of the credit for the turn around-Lets not forget it was Molson Brewery who messed things up in late 1990s-Molson at time was sold to Miller beer located in colorado

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
George Gillet deserves a lot of the credit for the turn around-Lets not forget it was Molson Brewery who messed things up in late 1990s-Molson at time was sold to Miller beer located in colorado

Gillet put in $25M and cashed out $400M!

Gillet was a visionary who realized the value of the Habs brand (and sports brands in general) and was able to turn around the franchise by hiring a smart hockey man as GM... yes, the much maligned, Bob Gainey.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Hum did not Molson merged with Coors to form a new company Molson Coors?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Molson coors-my mistake-but it was not a merger it was a take over just like Labatt is owned by a Belgium company.But my pt about Gillet is valid and habs fans should thank him

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Therrien alone is worth $950 million dollars.

Extending Therrien = +30% value over the summer. :sarcasm:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Molson coors-my mistake-but it was not a merger it was a take over just like Labatt is owned by a Belgium company.But my pt about Gillet is valid and habs fans should thank him

I agree wth you about Gillett breaking the team away from the evil Molson empire, Dan O'Neill almost single handedly ran the team into the ground.

However one small correction. Molson Coors was a merger of equals in every sense. It is controlled equally by the Molson and Coors families who own equal voting shares in the company and have equal representation (each family appoints 5 Directors, with an additional 3 directors voted by class B shareholders) on the company's board of directors.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Wow. Selling the Habs could solve so many problems, like ending homelessness in Canada and finding cures for otherwise intractable diseases. But... uh... not willing to make that sacrifice...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Wow. Selling the Habs could solve so many problems, like ending homelessness in Canada and finding cures for otherwise intractable diseases. But... uh... not willing to make that sacrifice...

I don't think 1 billion is enough... not even close.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Jokes aside... TV money is huge and the local media has to be catered too.

no matter who's on the roster, RDS would be on their knees begging for T.V rights to air HABS games with or without québécois..but of course it always helps to have DD and Co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad