News Article: Habs worst contracts - The Hockey Writers

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I agree with you, St Caufield, that Gallagher earned his AAV. But as you said the term was ridiculous because with his playing style he was going to fade within 2-3 years of the contract. And th backloading of the contract makes absolutely no sense.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Gallagher earned his AAV
He absolutely did not earn his AAV.

He hit 30 goals twice in ten seasons. His career average GPG is 0.30 and PPG is 0.59, that's 25g and 48pts a season. His production goes down in the playoffs, it's not like he's even stand out there.

He is not remotely good enough to be 1m cheaper than Tarasenko.

backloading of the contract makes absolutely no sense.
Very few things Bergevin did made sense at the time or at any time later. The real scandal is why so many in the media and so many fans had so much undying loyalty toward him and would make so many excuses for him.

• Love
Reactions: the

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think he makes this team better...but he's not a franchise player, he's not paid like one either.

He's paid the same amount and his production is in line with them.

He's currently 106th in the NHL amongst forwards in terms of cap hits. I don't see what the problem is here?

You can use whatever superlative to describe his contract (i.e. overpaid) it doesn't change the facts.

Phil Danault just had his first 20 goal season this past season and he's making the same cap hit (Yes I understand he's a much more complete player).

Look I get it, Josh Anderson can be frustrating as a player and his contract is a bit longer than I'd like but his salary is in line with the market.
Danault has way more value than Anderson. I’m not sure why you’re slipping this in. It doesn’t help your argument.

Josh Anderson makes too much for too long. It’s not a boat anchor like Price’s contract, but it’s not a good contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Danault has way more value than Anderson. I’m not sure why you’re slipping this in. It doesn’t help your argument.
Clearly wrote right there that I wasn't comparing both players...just using their identical cap hits.
Josh Anderson makes too much for too long. It’s not a boat anchor like Price’s contract, but it’s not a good contract.
He's paid what others in his range are. He's paid market value.

You not liking the contract or labeling as "bad" doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

You probably think if he was on another team he'd be making 3.5M a year for 3 yrs...but be wouldn't.

He'd be paid what he is now because thats his market value.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and SOLR

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That was Bergevin motto. Stability. Stability in mediocrity.
17f2cf96-18a1-4d0a-89ba-7c408f969e5a_text.gif

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Clearly wrote right there that I wasn't comparing both players...just using their identical cap hits.

He's paid what others in his range are. He's paid market value.

You not liking the contract or labeling as "bad" doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

You probably think if he was on another team he'd be making 3.5M a year for 3 yrs...but be wouldn't.

He'd be paid what he is now because thats his market value.
Bla bla bla. Comparing their caphits when one is clearly more valuable doesn’t help your argument. Not mentioning Danault at all would have the same impact. Keep babbling on about market value as you wish. It’s not a good contract, it’s not our worst, but it’s not one bit attractive.

Done or not, Price's contract is one of the worst in the entire league.
The worst imo. Even the bonus structure is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Bla bla bla. Comparing their caphits when one is clearing more valuable doesn’t help your argument. Not mentioning Danault at all would have the same impact. Keep babbling on about market value as you wish. It’s not a good contract, it’s not our worst, but it’s not one big attractive.
That must be the reason Hughes told us 25 times already since the end of the season that he gets a lot of calls asking for Anderson.

Other GMs must be calling because they can't wait to take on that bad contract.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Don't have the time to do that right now but apart from the Price contract (where I think the reaction was mixed), fans on this board were happy with everyone of those deals, at the time they were made. You can go dig up those threads if you wish but it's absolutely true.

That's such BS. Many complained about Price, Anderson, Armia and Gallagher's contracts.

You like re-writting history to fit your narratives.

I hope you follow your hero Drouin wherever he goes after this year.

Reactions: the

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
That's such BS. Many complained about Price, Anderson, Armia and Gallagher's contracts.

Hoffman:

Armia:

Anderson: (ok this was much more negative than I remembered, and rightly so)

Gallagher:

Drouin:

Byron:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bla bla bla. Comparing their caphits when one is clearly more valuable doesn’t help your argument. Not mentioning Danault at all would have the same impact. Keep babbling on about market value as you wish. It’s not a good contract, it’s not our worst, but it’s not one bit attractive.
I don't need help making the argument...they have identical cap hits, that's a fact, you can verify if you'd like.

The fact you keep mentioning that Danault is more valuable is just parroting off what I wrote previously. So i'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. The reason Danault was mentioned was to use the salary as comparables, not the player or their impact.

You can bla bla bla all you want...

I will keep talking about market value because market value is the only thing that matters, your or my description of the contract is completely pointless and is just used to fill up discussion boards like this with useless drivel.

Again, if Josh Anderson was a free agent today...he wouldn't sign for less than he's making now and teams would be lining up to sign him, which would probably drive his salary up even higher.

It's not my fault you don't understand how market value works.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Talk is cheap. No one has acquired Josh now have they.
Did it ever cross your mind that the Habs don't want to trade Josh Anderson?

It's actually hilarious to watch you actually try to act like Josh Anderson's contract is so bad that he's got no value.

Meanwhile, in the real world, teams were lining up all summer trying to squeeze him off the Habs.

bla bla bla

The Times ain't the only thing you behind in

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hoffman:

Armia:

Anderson: (ok this was much more negative than I remembered, and rightly so)

Gallagher:

Drouin:

Byron:

Those don't even prove what you were saying.

I was here and I remember plenty of posters disliking those contracts as they were signed. Can find plenty of posts in those threads.

Stop making stuff up to support your weak arguments.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As long as Josh Anderson stays healthy, he'll bag 25 goals (which is roughly the pace he's carried over 2 years with the Habs) and whether his contract is good or bad won't freaking matter because guys who score at that pace, get paid in that range.

bla bla bla

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Jeeze, man, you're too much. You call the guy out for making up crap. He responds with evidence and you don't even bother to look at the evidence. You ignore it and continue with your narrative.:shakehead

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

The worst imo. Even the bonus structure is ridiculous.
I don't think Anderson's contract is a big hurdle, it's a hurdle. I get what you are saying, but I get what @417 is saying too. Truth is probably somewhere in-between your 2 positions.

The mitigating factor with Anderson is that he can go in hot streak that makes him look like a more valuable player for short stints. A cup-ambitious team might bite.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Jeeze, man, you're too much. You call the guy out for making up crap. He responds with evidence and you don't even bother to look at the evidence. You ignore it and continue with your narrative.:shakehead

What evidence? He's pretending those contracts were universally approved and those links do not prove that.

No shit sherlock as if there wouldn't be positive posts about it. It doesn't prove there weren't any negative ones.

I know you and logic is like Betsy Kettleman and logic, yet here you are saying things that aren't even accurate.

The fact you say his links prove anything shows you're butting in without an inkling of what I'm arguing over. Go back to reading Schopenhauer so you can stop failing at being a contrarian.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What evidence? He's pretending those contracts were universally approved and those links do not prove that.

No shit sherlock as if there wouldn't be positive posts about it. It doesn't prove there weren't any negative ones.

I know you and logic is like Betsy Kettleman and logic, yet here you are saying things that aren't even accurate.

The fact you say his links prove anything shows you're butting in without an inkling of what I'm arguing over. Go back to reading Schopenhauer so you can stop failing at being a contrarian.
Don't switch the goalposts. The poster you were responding to never said there weren't any negative posts. After all, this is HF's Habs forum where negativity is a constant. You're the perfect example.

He said fans (meaning most) were really satisfied with the contracts. Drouin was the perfect example. The dissenters were maybe a handful. I should know I was one and it felt really lonely in here.

But continue doing what you accused the other poster of doing. Revising history. You're an expert.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think Anderson's contract is a big hurdle, it's a hurdle. I get what you are saying, but I get what @417 is saying too. Truth is probably somewhere in-between your 2 positions.
I don't really care to be in the middle of debating whether a contract is good or bad. It's neither here nor there for me.

I'm pretty confident that if he's healthy, he's good for 25ish goals and that's the cost for that kind of player.

If he scores 10 goals or scores 40 next year. I won't think his contract is "bad" or "a steal" either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad