CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The top five depicted by the hockey writers is;

Price 5th
Anderson 4th
Hoffman 3rd
Armia 2nd
Gallager 1st

not listed was Drouin and Dadanov. I see Drouin as the worst.

While I don’t think the Anderson contract is that bad at all the top 3 are terrible. As a note the top 4 were given out by Bergevin in his last 14 months as GM.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Josh Anderson isnt a bad contract.
Hockey writers arent a management team and the moment they are going to understand the law of supply. They will understand that a 6ft3 winger, skating like the wind, able to score 20 goals is something rare on the trade market. then, I hope they are gonna understand his contract isnt that bad.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
1661820530350.png

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
The top five depicted by the hockey writers is;

Price 5th
Anderson 4th
Hoffman 3rd
Armia 2nd
Gallager 1st

not listed was Drouin and Dadanov. I see Drouin as the worst.
I somewhat agree with that ranking, would've put Price second, but I guess the LTIR makes the contract less restrictive

Not sure about your comment on Drouin and Dadonov, 1 year contracts movable at TDL, dont even qualify for bad contracts at this point, let alone the worst

Reactions: Dutronc

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My order (except 1 year contract/ELC because who cares):
Gallagher
Armia
Savard
Hoffman
Dvorak
Matheson
Price
Anderson
Montembeault
Edmundson
Evans
Pitlick
Wideman
Suzuki

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This kind of stuff doesn't move me...bad contract, good contract...meh.

Not every contract handed out has the ultimate objective of of proving maximum value.

I promise you the Flames didn't sign Huberdeau thinking his contract would provide value throughout the length of it.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This kind of stuff doesn't move me...bad contract, good contract...meh.

Not every contract handed out has the ultimate objective of of proving maximum value.

I promise you the Flames didn't sign Huberdeau thinking his contract would provide value throughout the length of it.
I am Marc Bergevin and I approved this message.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The opinions that matter are within the Habs front office, they have to deal with these contracts. Would think their list would be different.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I am Marc Bergevin and I approved this message.
Oh Bergevin joke...haven't heard that one before.

Maybe you, like him, dont understand how contracts work.

Players don't always get paid for what they're worth or going to do, that's true for the Habs and it's true for all the other teams.

That obviously doesn't mean you go handing inflated contracts right, left and centre...but it's also par for the course when players reach a certain vested status in the NHL, they get paid for what they've done rather than what they're going to do.

The Tampa Bay Lightning won back to back Stanley Cups with players who had "bad contracts".

Welcome to pro sports.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Oh Bergevin joke...haven't heard that one before.

Maybe you, like him, dont understand how contracts work.

Players don't always get paid for what they're worth or going to do, that's true for the Habs and it's true for all the other teams.

That obviously doesn't mean you go handing inflated contracts right, left and centre...but it's also par for the course when players reach a certain vested status in the NHL, they get paid for what they've done rather than what they're going to do.

The Tampa Bay Lightning won back to back Stanley Cups with players who had "bad contracts".

Welcome to pro sports.

Giving out contracts to players for what they’ve accomplished rather than what they’re going to do can lead to untradeable contracts, trades with retained salaries, trades where a team has to add a sweetener, and potential buyouts like Alzner (especially when the player is not elite). I understand GM’s need to reward veterans who’ve been with the club since their draft but Bergevin made a big mistake giving out longer term contracts to Hoffman and Armia.

A lot of GM’s now seem to be handing out long term contracts to players yet to reach their prime. I believe that’s a better way to handle the cap.

As far as Tampa goes, if the Habs had elite talent like Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, Stamkos, etc. it would be a lot easier to forgive a couple bad contracts.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not sure why Armia make #2on the list... He might be #5 based on pts vs. salary but 3.4M$ isn't that much... 82M$/23 players, mean that the avg. salary on a cap team is 3.5M$
3 years left for a 29yo isn't crazy
He hasn't had a great season maybe but he is a still a good middle 6, he has size, skills, he is reliable player and pretty good in the playoffs.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure why Armia make #2on the list... He might be #5 based on pts vs. salary but 3.4M$ isn't that much... 82M$/23 players, mean that the avg. salary on a cap team is 3.5M$
3 years left for a 29yo isn't crazy
He hasn't had a great season maybe but he is a still a good middle 6, he has size, skills, he is reliable player and pretty good in the playoffs.
Armia is on the list because he is crap and his contract goes for 3 more damn years. He and Gallagher are definitely the most idiotic contracts on the team. At least Hoffman's only goes to 23-24.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad