Habs Wing Depth

Where does the Habs wing group rank in the league?

• Total voters

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Flyers are better. Giroux, Konecny, Atkinson, Farabee, JVR, Lindblom.

Sep 18, 2009
Wow, Montreal fans get riled up real quick. While I don't think many people would put them below the top 15, it should absolutely be an option.
I see their wingers and think they're okay, nothing great, just okay.
There are quite a few teams that I think compare to this group, and wouldn't be at all surprised if someone legitimately see them as the 16th best group or quite possibly even lower.
Top 20

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Well, title clearly says otherwise, so where does that leave us? The whole poll is invalidated based on the fact everyone has voted on either one of these statements.

I see "Where does the Habs wing group rank in the league?" twice and "wing depth" only once. Ask op for clarification I guess lol.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah,Montreal isnt going to like Hoffman by around half the season...He scores you 2 goals in a 5 to 2 loss,trust me guys he is soft

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Uh, I don't get this "saying the Habs winger group isn't top 15 is absurd" narrative. I mean, it's going to be close, this is the NHL and there's a crazy amount of talent in this league

To properly answer this, you'd have to make this kind of comparison for every team (and even then, it kinda stays subjective)

Stutzle vs Caufield
Tkachuk vs Gallagher
Batherson vs Hoffman
Brown vs Toffoli
Formenton vs Anderson
White vs Drouin
Paul vs Armia
Watson vs Lehkonen

I find that Hoffman and Drouin are pretty hard to compare as they are very "flawed" players. I put Hoffman against another highly skilled player and Drouin against another "disappointing" 1st round pick but White's overall game is actually solid. Toffoli is the better proven goal scorer, however Connor Brown seem to have found another gear offensively, he just scored 21 goals in 56 games. He's also pretty fast with flawless work ethic and is a supreme PKer. This guy is literally a coach's dream. I know people will give the advantage to Anderson but watch out for Formenton, he's an elite skater and creates havoc all over the ice. He also had much better numbers in his AHL rookie season. Watching Formenton's game evolve will be fun. Paul vs Armia is very interesting, both are extremely hard to play against. Don't think there's many (if any) stronger man than Nick Paul in the NHL, the guy is literally an ox. Lehkonen over Watson is the only clear choice (in Habs favor) here (with maybe Anderson over Formenton as the latter is only 21).

Habs have nice insurance policies in case of injuries (Perreault, Byron, Paquette) while Ottawa will have some decent vets in the AHL (Logan Shaw, Pontus Aberg and Andrew Agozzino) but in case of injuries, I think they'd want to give some games to prospects like Egor Sokolov, Angus Crookshank and Parker Kelly. There's also Roby Jarventie who's pretty young but could get a NHL taste (played in Liiga as a 18 y/o last year). This kid has a lethal shot. Oh and Sokolov is also pretty damn good. He has worked very hard on his body and is much leaner now. If he's quicker, then he makes the team out of camp and never looks back.

Sens players in general are obviously much younger and some still very unproven at the NHL level but I'm pretty comfortable going into the season with that group over the MTL group. Defense/goaltending is another story though but pieces are not all in place yet. Ottawa going into year 5 of the rebuild

Well, title clearly says otherwise, so where does that leave us? The whole poll is invalidated based on the fact everyone has voted on either one of these statements.

You often see polls with contradicting or different questions so you answer randomly. It pretty much voids any seeked rationality

Last edited:
Reactions: Bee Holder

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
How many teams have two 30 goalscorers on their 2nd line, talent like Drouin and Anderson on the 3rd line, and then guys like Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, and Perreault as their 7th to 10th best wingers?

Gallagher, while a talented player, is a 50 point winger it appears. Toffoli remains to be seen considering his career sample size. Hoffman has talent but clearly flawed as well. Anderson is a middle six winger. Drouin, who knows? Following that group, depth wingers are depth wingers. Every team has depth.

It is fine to be excited for your team but you may be finding yourself quite underwhelmed when the divisions and competition return to normal this season, regarding regular season points/goals totals.

Middle of the pack forward group.

Reactions: tricky and The90

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Gallagher, while a talented player, is a 50 point winger it appears. Toffoli remains to be seen considering his career sample size. Hoffman has talent but clearly flawed as well. Anderson is a middle six winger. Drouin, who knows? Following that group, depth wingers are depth wingers. Every team has depth.

It is fine to be excited for your team but you may be finding yourself quite underwhelmed when the divisions and competition return to normal this season, regarding regular season points/goals totals.

Middle of the pack forward group.
Habs wingers 20-21 goal scoring pace over an 82 game season:

Toffoli: 44 goals
Gallagher: 33 goals
Hoffman: 27 goals
Anderson: 27 goals

Caufield is coming in as well. Over 30 games (regular season + playoffs), he scored at a 22 goal pace fresh out of college. He's a good bet to score 25 this year.

The centre group is concerning because of how young they are, but that is far from true for the winger group.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Caufield is coming in as well. Over 30 games, he scored at a 22 goal pace fresh out of college. He's a good bet to score 25 this year.

The centre group is concerning because of how young they are, but that is far from true for the winger group.

Can you show their goal/point career averages? I may be wrong but I am firmly placing last regular season as an outlier considering the division structure. Caufield is the main piece I'd be excited about for the Habs. The others are what they are which to me is less than their last season scoring paces.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Caufield is coming in as well. Over 30 games (regular season + playoffs), he scored at a 22 goal pace fresh out of college. He's a good bet to score 25 this year.

I think you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting Toffoli to score 44 goals.
Unless of course they play the Canucks every sixth game again this year. :laugh:
I agree with the above poster that the results in the North Division likely inflated a lot of offensive stats last year.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Top 15 as a safe bet

Toffoli and Anderson will regress outside of the North Division, Drouin is a mystery and Hoffman has historically been a defensive liability which may have been fine if he was paired with Danault but obviously that's no longer an option

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
top 12. I think we're still missing a game-breaker. Caufield could become one but he's just a rookie and I don't expect him to score 35+ next season. Our depth is absolutely amazing, though... even if we have a couple injuries, we have players who are able to play on a scoring line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad