Post-Game Talk: Habs win in SO 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Scheifele is playing a better two/way game but it's not enough to offset KC's issues without Vilardi's help imo. Maybe they choose to try to weather that storm until he's back. My point was more so that of you keep giving up the amount of 5 bell chances that line has given up lately you will eventually be on the ice for more goals against. For the record I loved the line with Vilardi and he was able to really do a lot of defensive heavy lifting as well as he was able to win the puck in the offensive zone for Mark and KC. Those things allowed Mark and KC to do what they do best with puck possesion in the ozone.
I was only referring to the comments that they will revert back to LY - no reason to think that considering the changes in 55's game and the addition of Vilardi. I also think our D has taken a step back TY and is impacting this line's performance defensively - JoMo / Demelo especially.
Not sure what is going on with the blueline but they are lost out there many nights - especially on the PK. They are losing battles, not protecting the front of the net, and our breakouts are returning to that panic mode from yrs gone by - too much chaos and that has really exposed the forwards.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not knowing anything about gambling and what it's lexicon means, this post has me as confused as one of Kanadalainen's fish posts. :laugh:

6-5 favorite: will win 6 times for every 5 times they lose ( = 54.55% chance to win)
"-110": betting odds are given with "+" and "-", with a base of $100. "+" means you bet $100 to win the amount (+140 = bet $100 for a $140 profit if you win); "-" means you bet that amount to win $100 (-110 = bet $110 for a $100 profit if you win).

Pluses are the underdogs, minuses are the favorites.

Now in something that's basically a coin toss (or literally, like in the Super Bowl) you'll see both sides being a small minus. "-110 both ways" basically means "no matter what you bet on, you gotta bet $110 to profit $100"

Vig: The theoretical house edge baked into the wagers so that, in the long run, the amount of money paid out will be slightly less than the amount of money taken in; that difference is the 'vig'.

Example: in that "-110 both ways" coin toss, if there's $11000 in bets on 'heads' and $11000 in bets on 'tails', the winning side will be paid a total of $20000, and $22000 in minus $20000 = $2000 or 2000/22000 = 9.09% 'vig'

... Now you've made me want to change my Rangers GDT at the 11th hour to something Guys And Dolls themed :P

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Goalied again. Uuugghhh

Also losing the special teams battle can make it really tough. We’re still outplaying teams pretty consistently so that’s good.

We keep getting goalied by mediocre (at best) goalies. Maybe it is not the goalies. We need to finish better.

ST have to get better or we are going nowhere.

I don't think Helle would have let that 1st goal get by him. If he was in net, we win that game imo. Brossoit did not look confident in that game. We well outshot, and outplayed the Habs, but those types of games happen. We move on now.

Brossoit looked shaky the whole game.

If Helle had played, he probably gets a shutout.

Yes, put it behind and move on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess the challenging part is that the first 20 games really set the tone for whether you make the playoffs or not... so I'd assume they are afraid to tinker too much.

The easiest fix right now is falling out of love with Pionk... he's playing 20+ mins a game while Samberg hovers around 15? Like somehow Pionk is on BOTH PP and PK and he's one of our worst D.

I agree with the power play assessment - maybe you run something like
Unit 1
Iafallo-Scheif-Nino
Jomo-Ehlers
Unit 2
Connor-Kupari-Perfetti
Schmidt-DeMelo

Get Pionk completely off special teams and let him focus on 5v5

I'd also try the combo of KFC/Apples on PK again.... they were good and it forced Connor to play D - that trickled into his 5v5 game

I don't think the PP troubles are about personnel. It is the plan.

Yes, get Pionk off the PK. Though, to be fair, I think he has played better this year other than the PK.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't we all

*sigh*
But... but... the hands! Even the players here are, like... OMG, don't look at the hands, don't look at the hands... Oh no, Apples looked at the hands...:eek3:

1698641396392.png

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think the PP troubles are about personnel. It is the plan.

Yes, get Pionk off the PK. Though, to be fair, I think he has played better this year other than the PK.
I find it interesting though that our team fell apart without Brad Lauer last year... some of us suggested he should replace Bowness actually.

But our PP was faltering mid-season - and now here we are with the same problems - and that his gig.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I find it interesting though that our team fell apart without Brad Lauer last year... some of us suggested he should replace Bowness actually.

But our PP was faltering mid-season - and now here we are with the same problems - and that his gig.

Why are they playing such a static, perimeter style? They didn't last year, except for that stretch of time Lauer was missing.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I want the team to invest in a better backup. Brossoit is brutal. Waive him and trade for Lyon which shouldn't cost much and would most likely be a better option as backup.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I think the coach was trying to give Ehlers a break in the shootout, hoping to give him a chance to feel good in the case he scored. It's not a bad idea, if he scored he might break out a bit mentally.

But, Allen was stopping shots all night, and Scheif and Connor are shooters, why not throw a guy with mitts like Perfetti, to change it up on a red hot Allen? Guys like Perfetti tend to do well in shootouts because they can get in close.

For the top line, you'd hate to break up the Lowery line but putting Nino on the top line, moving Alex to Nino's spot would be a different look, or Perfetti on the wing. Having Vilardi back is going to be huge, because he can be the top winger or 2nd line center, making us that much deeper.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
We keep getting goalied by mediocre (at best) goalies. Maybe it is not the goalies. We need to finish better.

ST have to get better or we are going nowhere.

Brossoit looked shaky the whole game.

If Helle had played, he probably gets a shutout.

Yes, put it behind and move on.

Yeh we need more finish. Although that spinning save was kinda ridiculous.

Agreed 100% with ST. PP has to get going.

Again agreed on Brossoit. If the play was flipped, he might get pulled. I’m just glad Helle is playing every single game. They’re managing him so far.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad