Post-Game Talk: Habs win in SJ WOW!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Quality road win by the Habs. Stayed within striking distance and battled all night. Nice to see Gurianov in the lineup. Also nice to see Ylonen score and Pitlick playing fairly well again. Barron had some rough moments I thought.
True recap. Barron is experiencing the growing pains. I think that early mistake that caused the first goal was something he couldn't shake the rest of the game.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It does ruin the posting experience when folks are hoping their team loses. I could never outright watch the Habs play hoping for a loss.
You're not concerned your comments may ostracize you from the masses?lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You're not concerned your comments may ostracize you from the masses?lol
I want the best pick but I also want to see our current group of young players experience success. Having Guhle and Ylonen score was much more important than the tank.

Habs will draft in a good spot and grab some good players.

Remember they are about to undertake the toughest schedule of any team for the rest of the season.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It feels awesome. I was in bed cheering! It was a good sleep. GO HABS GO BABY!!!!

Or at least keep the bullshit to one thread. Beyond annoying.

Let them have their own cheering to lose thread. Keep it out of the rest of the them though.
Yep maybe 2 GDT threads, one for the tankers and one for the actual fans who want their team to win.

• Love
Reactions: Natey

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I understand wanting a better draft pick. But if you're going to pray and hope for unlikely things, wouldn't you rather pray that Guhle, Harris, and Barron score 50 next year? That RHP and Ylonen both break their barrier and score 30? That Caufield scores 60? That Suzuki is a PPG?

I'd rather watch hoping for those things than a lose.
The league is DESIGNED to partially compensate for weak results with better draft odds and selections. PARTIALLY.

The difference in roster quality between the 5th worst team (28th) and the 5th best team is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the difference in calibre between the player picked 5th OA and the 28th OA pick, even including the slight gains in future rounds.

The 5th place team is probably 5 or 6 strong players ahead of the 28th place team. Developing your guys for bigger roles, and acquiring talent by means other than just the draft are BOTH neccessary to succeed. Doing so means climbing steps in the standings and not an all-at-once arrival as a Cup winner.

We must remember - Some teams have won a Cup with a strong roster but no megastar. ZERO teams won with a megastar but no supporting roster.

Build the entire roster and the megastar is just icing on the cake.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I want the best pick but I also want to see our current group of young players experience success. Having Guhle and Ylonen score was much more important than the tank.

Habs will draft in a good spot and grab some good players.

Remember they are about to undertake the toughest schedule of any team for the rest of the season.
Of course I think most fans want to see the players have success but a great draft pick would be more than welcome.However,the way they went about things this year when they could have manipulated their position to solidify the best pick possible went awry it seems. For long stretches the just played abysmal with no effort and then suddenly they started to give effort and were playing better and getting higher up in the standings. It leaves me perplexed as to what was their objectives.

Reactions: Tyson

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I understand wanting a better draft pick. But if you're going to pray and hope for unlikely things, wouldn't you rather pray that Guhle, Harris, and Barron score 50 next year? That RHP and Ylonen both break their barrier and score 30? That Caufield scores 60? That Suzuki is a PPG?

I'd rather watch hoping for those things than a lose.
Well, going by your logic, there are unlikely things... then there are highly unlikely to improbable feats like the ones you mentioned above.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Our 2023 pick is looking less optimal by the day! Hopefully we graduate a few players next year and pick up steam from there. If we don't get a top 3/5 pick this year , rebuild is over.
Don't think it's hapenning. What we have atm is clearly not enough to contend. And if we don't draft high then we'll need to get lucky but those guys will take a few years to develop. I hope we get lucky but at the same time i'm being realistic we never ever get lucky. We will likely end in the no man's land with just enough to make the playoffs but not enough to get far.

Canadarocks66

Jan 5, 2018
Guhle wasting no time...kid just hit the ground running. What a performance for first game back after a long time off. Forgot how good he was there for a second.
He ain't Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power. Believe that and Montreal doesn't have a Tage Thompson or Dylan Cozens type center (although there is hope for Dach). Suzuki isn't a true #1 on a Cup caliber team. He'd be a #3 center on the team back west that hasn't gotten out of the first round in 20 years.

Ya again stuck in nowhere land. At this rate we will be mediocre for yrs.
Where they have been the last 30 years. Not one game breaking forward since Pierre Turgeon and they gave him away after a year and a half for a washed up 3 plus years older Shayne Corson for that overrated "grit."

Canadarocks66

Jan 5, 2018
It does ruin the posting experience when folks are hoping their team loses. I could never outright watch the Habs play hoping for a loss.
Because maybe people are tired of seeing a team without a legitimate chance of winning. How the mighty have fallen when "making the playoffs" is the standard (and they can't even do that consistently). Not a top 10 scorer since 1985/86 for the most successful franchise in NHL history and 2nd most successful franchise in North American sports history is a disgrace. I guess being knee deep in mediocrity is o.k. for some. Now watch the Blackhawks successfully complete their 2nd tank job since the last one got them 3 cups while Montreal with a dearth of elite young talent pushes themselves from a potential game changing top 3 pick to a barely top 10 pick if lucky. This draft doesn't have 10 franchise players. They have Bedard, Fantilli/Carlson, Michkov and then some very good pieces.

The league is DESIGNED to partially compensate for weak results with better draft odds and selections. PARTIALLY.

The difference in roster quality between the 5th worst team (28th) and the 5th best team is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the difference in calibre between the player picked 5th OA and the 28th OA pick, even including the slight gains in future rounds.

The 5th place team is probably 5 or 6 strong players ahead of the 28th place team. Developing your guys for bigger roles, and acquiring talent by means other than just the draft are BOTH neccessary to succeed. Doing so means climbing steps in the standings and not an all-at-once arrival as a Cup winner.

We must remember - Some teams have won a Cup with a strong roster but no megastar. ZERO teams won with a megastar but no supporting roster.

Build the entire roster and the megastar is just icing on the cake.
I'll give you St. Louis a few years ago, but who else? Inquiring minds want to know.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Because maybe people are tired of seeing a team without a legitimate chance of winning. How the mighty have fallen when "making the playoffs" is the standard (and they can't even do that consistently). Not a top 10 scorer since 1985/86 for the most successful franchise in NHL history and 2nd most successful franchise in North American sports history is a disgrace. I guess being knee deep in mediocrity is o.k. for some. Now watch the Blackhawks successfully complete their 2nd tank job since the last one got them 3 cups while Montreal with a dearth of elite young talent pushes themselves from a potential game changing top 3 pick to a barely top 10 pick if lucky. This draft doesn't have 10 franchise players. They have Bedard, Fantilli/Carlson, Michkov and then some very good pieces.

I'll give you St. Louis a few years ago, but who else? Inquiring minds want to know.
LA and Boston had very good players, but none in the Crosby, Overchkin, Kane megastar level. Even Mackinnon is not at that level. In fact, LA and Boston and Saint Louis won 4 cups without a top-10 scorer, all in the last 11 years.

So it happens sometimes that a team wins without a top-10 league-wide star.

On the other hand, there have been ZERO cases of a team winning the Cup without a strong 10-11 guys though.

So best course of action in my view is to build the core roster of 10-11 strong guys and if one of them, or a lucky arrival, is a megastar one year or even several years, it's icing on the cake.

Leo Carlsson instead of Will Smith or another top-10 pick is not going to be more impactful than having 5 good players, so be happy if Guhle, Matheson and Dach are supplementing Suzuki and Caufield now and getting us closer to that strong perrenially contending core.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Our 2023 pick is looking less optimal by the day! Hopefully we graduate a few players next year and pick up steam from there. If we don't get a top 3/5 pick this year , rebuild is over.
If you define a rebuild in terms of high draft picks, then, yes. But rebuilds have other components besides high draft picks, which have yet to be implemented.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
So best course of action in my view is to build the core roster of 10-11 strong guys and if one of them, or a lucky arrival, is a megastar one year or even several years, it's icing on the cake.

Leo Carlsson instead of Will Smith or another top-10 pick is not going to be more impactful than having 5 good players, so be happy if Guhle, Matheson and Dach are supplementing Suzuki and Caufield now and getting us closer to that strong perrenially contending core.
I strongly disagree. Carlsson (top3-4 this year) could make a great difference in 3-4 years vs a top10 pick. I want a strong core AND high elite talent. This draft is our best chance to find one. Let's not regret this oportunity for years... it's time to tank hard. Other teams are not shy to do it, why would we be?
It's time to trade Allen, Anderson, Edmundson, etc.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I strongly disagree. Carlsson (top3-4 this year) could make a great difference in 3-4 years vs a top10 pick. I want a strong core AND high elite talent. This draft is our best chance to find one. Let's not regret this oportunity for years... it's time to tank hard. Other teams are not shy to do il, why would we be?
It's time to trade Allen, Anderson, Edmundson, etc.
Allen and Edmundson are not in the plans. OF COURSE I'm ok to trade them.

Anderson has value. We would need a great return, and not just move him to weaken the team on purpose to fall one spot in the standings.

I'm pretty sure that at least one player drafted 4-10 will be better than the guy drafted third. It happens 80% of the time, if not more. The problem is we may not get that guy either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad