Post-Game Talk: Habs win against BJs after losing big the night before.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I just can't take your Suzuki take seriously. He was already on pace for 60 points by his second season and the best forward on the team. One outlier stretch where the whole team looked awful doesn't change that. And this is besides the point, the fact of the matter is the guy who acquired the best center in two decades is MB. It's arguing against reality to say otherwise. We can only hope HuGo manage to get someone as good.
We are looking at a 50-60 point player to now a PPG player under Gorton/Hughes. Again it all comes down to track record. Bergevin has no history of developing any player reaching such a ceiling in his decade long reign of terror.

For me it comes to no surprise that our best prospect was developed by another organization.

Suzuki had plateaued until MSL showed up. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Also I still think Saku Koivu is our best center in the last 2 decades. Suzuki is getting close but he's not there yet.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Come on man, I don't like Bergevin but that's stretching it to outer space. Suzuki was awesome even before MSL and was the best forward on that cup final team. He's the best center this team has had since Damphousse. Danaults is at least equal to this version of Monahan.

Last season, when Ducharme was head coach, Suzuki had 9 goals and 27 points in 45 games, a pace of 16 goals and 49 points over an 82 game season.

Since MSL took over as head coach he has 23 goals and 57 points in 57 games, a pace of 33 goals and 82 points over an 82 game season.

Do you think, in the past 57 games, he would have put up the same number of goals and points if Bergevin and Ducharme were still in charge?

Hughes/MSL have been able to help Suzuki take his game to the next level.

Hughes/MSL have been able to help Suzuki to take his game to the next level.

I agree he’s the best centre since Damphousse.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Last season, when Ducharme was head coach, Suzuki had 9 goals and 27 points in 45 games, a pace of 16 goals and 49 points over an 82 game season.

Since MSL took over as head coach he has 23 goals and 57 points in 57 games, a pace of 33 goals and 82 points over an 82 game season.

Do you think, in the past 57 games, he would have put up the same number of goals and points if Bergevin and Ducharme were still in charge?

Suzuki pre-MSL was much better than current Monahan.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This conversation is bonkers. It started with a statement about Monahan being better than any center under Bergevin. I hate MB as much as the next guy, but come on. Toffoli signed here to play with Suzuki after watching him in the bubble. Suzuki's bubble play and SC runs are better than anything Monahan has ever done, never mind broken Monahan. He did it without Johnny Gaudreau either. Put Gaudreau on Suzuki's wing his sophomore season and I guarantee he's not pacing for 60 points either. This isn't a serious conversation we're having, it's piling on a terrible GM by discrediting what was easily his best move, that just so happens was the best move by a Habs GM in decades. Yes, it means Bergevin wasn't all bad. He's still terrible, but that move was brilliant.

I do agree with that.

Well, that was exactly the point.

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Monty 28 saves on 29 shots :yo: well played
Slightly better than Allen the night before. What was it to start the game- 3 goals on 2 shots?

I would love to see MSL help out Monahan and Slafkovsky. Swap Slafkovsky with Armia and make up a line of Anderson - Monahan - Slafkovsky.
And give them 5-10 games to work out the kinks.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Montembeault was solid. Allen has been absolutely shit lately. MSL should play Montembeault Friday. Kid deserves it.

Xhekaj scores. Caufield, Dach, and Slafkovsky pick up assists, so happy about that.

Gave CBJ so many chances in 1st period it was nuts, but Montreal did get better defensively as game went on.

Oh, except on CBJ's goal in 3rd period when Savard & Matheson played hockey's version of duck, duck, go with the puck. In this case, it's:

Savard: You turn it over.
Matheson: No, you turn it over.
Savard: I insist you.
Matheson: Ok - passes to CBJ player in slot.

Holy crap!

Overall, a better game tonight by Montreal.
It was more like duck, duck , oh f***…

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We are looking at a 50-60 point player to now a PPG player under Gorton/Hughes. Again it all comes down to track record. Bergevin has no history of developing any player reaching such a ceiling in his decade long reign of terror.

For me it comes to no surprise that our best prospect was developed by another organization.

Suzuki had plateaued until MSL showed up. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Also I still think Saku Koivu is our best center in the last 2 decades. Suzuki is getting close but he's not there yet.
Suzuki is already leaps and bounds better than Koivu, IMO, with a much better shot and and at least equal on ice vision and passing skills.

The better Koivu only lasted as long as it took for him to injure his knee at the very beginning of his career -- And that's entirely debatable because the sample size wasn't very big. However, the advantage he did have there was blazing separation speed which, unfortunately for him, never lasted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79 and cphabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This conversation is bonkers. It started with a statement about Monahan being better than any center under Bergevin. I hate MB as much as the next guy, but come on. Toffoli signed here to play with Suzuki after watching him in the bubble. Suzuki's bubble play and SC runs are better than anything Monahan has ever done, never mind broken Monahan. He did it without Johnny Gaudreau either. Put Gaudreau on Suzuki's wing his sophomore season and I guarantee he's not pacing for 60 points either. This isn't a serious conversation we're having, it's piling on a terrible GM by discrediting what was easily his best move, that just so happens was the best move by a Habs GM in decades. Yes, it means Bergevin wasn't all bad. He's still terrible, but that move was brilliant.

Well, that was exactly the point.
Bergevin was already discredited for even that move when they said he desperately wanted Glass, but settled for Suzuki when that player was imposed in the trade instead.

If Bergevin had been drooling for Suzuki all along, he would have been swimming in praise for the move.

However, to his credit, I think it is false to say that Suzuki was developed elsewhere because it was Montreal's decision not to rush Suzuki that saw him go back to Juniors where he dominated and first established himself as a money player, carrying his team deep into playoff runs.

Bergevin could have kept him in Montreal to play as a 4th line player instead. I think that would have had a much worse effect on Suzuki's development than playing under Ducharme might have had.

We'll never know if Suzuki would have plateaued eternally had Bergevin stil been around (hiring D-first coaches ad nauseam), but, at only 23, still, it's fair to believe he might still have continued to progress.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Monty should be starting. Allen is just waste of roster spot
That's just silly.

However, I think we should start testing Monty in a 50-50 split, rather than continuing to give Allen the higher end of a 60-40 or a 70-30 split.

Go with the Lemaire system in MIN -- Winning G gets the next start if he wins a game, unless it's a back-to-back matchup in the schedule.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Suzuki was still in juniors when Habs acquired him. Vegas did not "develop" him.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Dach already have 17 points in 20 games, last year, he put 26 points in 70 games.

He need to put 9 points in his 50 next games to catch up his last year production.

That's very impressive, perfect progression from him so far.

It's feels like Habs killing the 2019 draft with Kirby Dach and Cole Caufield. 🤩

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’m still pro tank for this season but I’m happy for Monty. I give him a lot of grief but he deserves to be in the rotation more. I‘d say start him for the next 2-3 games and give Allen a break.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I’m still pro tank for this season but I’m happy for Monty. I give him a lot of grief but he deserves to be in the rotation more. I‘d say start him for the next 2-3 games and give Allen a break.

Don't worry. Schedule is getting tougher in December. End of the year is gonna be super tough not to crash down. Many strong teams we haven't faced yet.

Mid to end of December : TB, Ari, Col, Dal, TB, Flo, Was

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad