Post-Game Talk: Habs win against BJs after losing big the night before.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do you think Sam have the potential of a real #1 G?
This is an option we have to think about. And you're right. We will know it when we'll give him more games.
Depends what you mean by "real #1 G", he's never going to win the Vezina if that's your requirement. But he's already better than a few starter in the league like Comrie (Sabres played him more than Graig so I assume he's their starter, he's injured right now thought) and Campbell.

The Habs overplayed Allen so far, Monty should have played more games already. Allen can't play more than 40 games a season. He gets worst the more he plays. Always been like that. He's on track to play 60 this season, he's going to be dead by January.

Guillermo

Aug 13, 2002
Hull / Québec
Visit site
First off, that was awful hockey. Exhibition level

Monty was great. He better have the net as Allen is just terrible.

Outside of Monty, there werent many positives. Guys like Dach, Guhle, Jackeye were solid, but didnt overly standout either

The vets, i dont even know what you can say anymore. Most are just corpses on the ice.

Free Slaf please. At least rotate him up once in awhile. Outside of Cole and Dach, the other wingers dont deserve the time they get

Yeah we're not seeing much production from lines 2 and 3.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Being the father of a newborn child can be tough on the sleep of the parents. Wouldn't be the first time a goalie gets a bit shaky with a newborn. Might explain Allen.
Let’s wait and see if Allen gets his A game back on the road before that theory gains traction ;)

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Suzuki is already leaps and bounds better than Koivu, IMO, with a much better shot and and at least equal on ice vision and passing skills.

The better Koivu only lasted as long as it took for him to injure his knee at the very beginning of his career -- And that's entirely debatable because the sample size wasn't very big. However, the advantage he did have there was blazing separation speed which, unfortunately for him, never lasted.
Whoaaa, hold your horses there Buckaroo. Koivu is not a name to mess with on this board.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Somebody call the cops because Sam is a thief!.lol.
Happy for the kid,looks like he's a contortionist at times,so supple and flexible.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Being the father of a newborn child can be tough on the sleep of the parents. Wouldn't be the first time a goalie gets a bit shaky with a newborn. Might explain Allen.
I didn’t sleep for 2 years!

Montembeault was solid. Allen has been absolutely shit lately. MSL should play Montembeault Friday. Kid deserves it.

Xhekaj scores. Caufield, Dach, and Slafkovsky pick up assists, so happy about that.

Gave CBJ so many chances in 1st period it was nuts, but Montreal did get better defensively as game went on.

Oh, except on CBJ's goal in 3rd period when Savard & Matheson played hockey's version of duck, duck, go with the puck. In this case, it's:

Savard: You turn it over.
Matheson: No, you turn it over.
Savard: I insist you.
Matheson: Ok - passes to CBJ player in slot.

Holy crap!

Overall, a better game tonight by Montreal.
Lmfao thank you!

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Suzuki was a poor man version of Danault towards the end of Ducharme tenure as a head coach.

I could give the W to Bergevin for getting us Suzuki but his horrible track record to develop any young player disqualifies him.

It looks even worst knowing that our first successful propect in 8 years at the time was mostly developed by Vegas.

I'm convinced that the Suzuki we see today wouldn't exist if Bergevin was still around.

Money Hands Monahan is on pace for 50 points all by himself. He's been given an impossible task. No way Danault could be this productive all by himself.

Funny because I remember Danault producing 47 and 53 points all by himself, centering Tatar and Gallagher, with mostly defensive zone starts and no power play time.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think that Sam exists anymore. His base mechanics are no where near as bad as when we first saw him. Not to worry though I don't think he can maintain that save percentage all season and we have Jake Allen still getting double his starts. :laugh:

Monty deserves credit cause he is better than what fans pegged him as. He's really working hard and he's improved since his 1st game with the Habs. Certainly not one we should consider as a long term solution in net but I like what I see during our rebuild years. He's letting in a lot less soft goals vs Allen. I like both but Monty is performing better.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Funny because I remember Danault producing 47 and 53 points all by himself, centering Tatar and Gallagher, with mostly defensive zone starts and no power play time.

Yeah but remember the... "Gallagher is making Danault look better" comments? I'm still pissed off on how we treated Danault and I might never get over it. A lot of fans and media need to apologize for what they said cause we lost a good talent.

Don't sign Armia and Hoffman and play hard ball with Gallagher. Lock up Danault and we would have another 1st with no Dvorak after the KK offer sheet.

Bergevin's worse two off seasons by far were expansion draft years (2017 and 2021). Weird. Bergevin crying when he was announcing Gallagher's contract says it all.

Somebody call the cops because Sam is a thief!.lol.
Happy for the kid,looks like he's a contortionist at times,so supple and flexible.

Monty is allowing less soft goals vs Allen. There is no other way to spin that. Monty said himself that the Habs played better D vs the game before and that's true to some degree but he's saying what a teammate should say.

Reactions: WatchfulElm

durojean

May 29, 2007
Losing Danault and Tatar for free after a Hail Mary attempt ( we were lucky it worked and we made the final )

Was one of the dumbest thing Bergevin did for this team. I'd have not problem if we traded them. But losing them for nothing is shameful.

We should have been way further along in our rebuild if :

Price was traded before he fell apart. Our team was not really good at the time and Price had earned the chance to win a cup elsewere. We would have gotten a really big Price because his new contract should not have been signed when we should have traded him.

Gallagher was traded when he asked for too much money. It was a previsible thing that he would be overpaid in the continuing years of his contract. I would have signed him for fair value, but when the ask was too high we definitively should have moved on. Again, with his salary at the time, we would have gotten a lot for him,

Without a goalie like Price, we would have probably finished way lower in the standing ( even if we were already losing either way)

Even trading Subban for a younger assets at the time or at least trading Weber because of the rebuild would have given us something really good.

A rebuild well done and we would have been at least at the Devils level and talking about how we are competing for the cup in the next 10 years.

Instead we got what Bergevin worked for : An half and half with not much playoff presence in the last 6 years and still at the 1st stage of a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad