Post-Game Talk: Habs win 3-2 in OT in Arizona! Hoffman with the winner!

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I told my girl to yell at me if she catches me watching this debauchery at 10PM tonight loool. One of the rare times where I think I value sleep over watching. I'd be more interested in watching if they had player cams on cole and slaf all game lmao no need to see any of the other guys

Well I got yelled at but worth it.

Pretty awful game by Slaf but those are bound to happen here and there I suppose

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Was a late game, for Hoffman when the moon was out:

0PlCKAO.gif

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
There needs to be a mini reset with Marty.. I think there's a bit of feeling bad on his part for some of the veteran players who are being met with the end of their NHL careers. Considering how close Marty was to losing it all before he broke out, it's probably a soft spot for him.

But Drouin and Dadonov are done.

One thing St. Louis has shown is he really wants all 23 players on the roster to be part of the team. Even during rare winning streaks, he will rotate the lineups so players aren't sitting and it has been mentioned on many broadcasts he'll spend lots of time talking to players at practice who are being scratched.

St. Louis is stuck with plugs like Drouin and Dadonov so he keeps trying to get them in positions to succeed (PP, top six minutes etc), however it is obvious these guys are done and shouldn't be on the roster.

HuGo should've punted these guys to Laval after pre-season when they showed nothing, instead of making them Marty's problem.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gotta win the odd game here and there..............the kids are playing well.
As we know, this will be a season long struggle as they play better teams, we just saw what Tampa did to them....
The vets, and the goaltending have not been there with any consistency, but the kids have played above expectations....
Being more competative and being able to score, is a nice change from the past 4-5 seasons...

One thing St. Louis has shown is he really wants all 23 players on the roster to be part of the team. Even during rare winning streaks, he will rotate the lineups so players aren't sitting and it has been mentioned on many broadcasts he'll spend lots of time talking to players at practice who are being scratched.

St. Louis is stuck with plugs like Drouin and Dadonov so he keeps trying to get them in positions to succeed (PP, top six minutes etc), however it is obvious these guys are done and shouldn't be on the roster.

HuGo should've punted these guys to Laval after pre-season when they showed nothing, instead of making them Marty's problem.
Sending those clowns to Laval would have been perfect..............and it migh have lit a fire in their belly.......just sad what we see most nights from the vets.
Hoffman is proving he can score...........Armia, Gally, Dad, Drouin etc time to say goodbye....

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

And HuGo have player agents on their asses who ask for their players to get more ice time/better opportunities.

It's quite sad this is the 3rd year in a row where it happens and there was a change of management, three head coaches and an heavy line-up rotation in that span...

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So... this team is supposed to be better than Ducharme's team, right? These are some very telling stats. And this doesn't include, of course, the greatest stat of them all - scoring on PP. Sigh. Why I compare this to Ducharme's team is not really the stats though... I mean you can't hope for much better with the group that only has 3 NHL forwards and 3 NHL dman. It's the vibe and lack of any visibly enthusiasm, feistiness, competitiveness that gives me the Ducharme vibes. When St Louis first came there was that feeling of the new, fresh, different... I suppose you can go only as far on sheer enthusiasm and good will before you regress back to the state that reflects the talent level of both hockey players and the coaching staff.

1671550196643.png

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Thank you for this! Leave Marty alone. He's icing a hockey team and he has what he has and he wants to get the best out of everyone.

Things will get better once contracts expire as long as Hughes doesn't sign more of them.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So... this team is supposed to be better than Ducharme's team, right? These are some very telling stats. And this doesn't include, of course, the greatest stat of them all - scoring on PP. Sigh. Why I compare this to Ducharme's team is not really the stats though... I mean you can't hope for much better with the group that only has 3 NHL forwards and 3 NHL dman. It's the vibe and lack of any visibly enthusiasm, feistiness, competitiveness that gives me the Ducharme vibes. When St Louis first came there was that feeling of the new, fresh, different... I suppose you can go only as far on sheer enthusiasm and good will before you regress back to the state that reflects the talent level.

View attachment 624337
The team is awful at shot suppression, it's a dzone system problem.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Thanks you for this! Leave Marty alone. He's icing a hockey team and he has what he has and he wants to get the best out of everyone.

Things will get better once contracts expire as long as Hughes doesn't sign more of them.
I would almost believe it if the same applied to Slaf, Guhle, Xhekaj... as far as PP is concerned. Or Slaf in general.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would almost believe it if the same applied to Slaf, Guhle, Xhekaj... as far as PP is concerned. Or Slaf in general.

Personally, I'm the type of coach that likes the player to produce in many areas before I spoil them on the PP. Guhle deserves a shot on the 2nd unit in a more consistent spot but he's playing 20 min as it is at age 20.

Would you have no problem playing Guhle 23-25 min a game in his rookie season? Not so sure I like that idea. He did play 23:37 last night.

Slaf needs to learn puck management. I see this as a MSL focus from a mile away. No way he should be spoiled in an offensive role before he learns puck management.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Personally, I'm the type of coach that likes the player to produce in many areas before I spoil them on the PP. Guhle deserves a shot on the 2nd unit in a more consistent spot but he's playing 20 min as it is at age 20.

Would you have no problem playing Guhle 23-25 min a game in his rookie season? Not so sure I like that idea. He did play 23:37 last night. His highest yet this season by far.

Slaf needs to learn puck management. I see this as a MSL focus from a mile away. No way he should be spoiled in an offensive role before he learns puck management.
Again, a solid argument IF the same applied to other stiffs who can't manage the puck, position, shot, pass, or any other aspect of the game. I am not saying Slaf is all that great at these things - he is not. I am saying he gets punished while others who do same or worse do not, or better yet they get rewarded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, a solid argument IF the same applied to other stiffs who can't manage the puck, position, shot, pass, or any other aspect of the game. I am not saying Slaf is all that great at these things - he is not. I am saying he gets punished while others who do same or worse do not, or better yet they get rewarded.

There are different standards to rookies vs vets though right?

I do smell some frustration with MSL/Slaf. Not going to dwell on it cause there has been some up/downs and I despise dwelling on the lows/highs on the bigger rollercoaster trajectory. That's noise we can live without from our media and fans but it's not going to happen. We can't help our selves

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
There are different standards to rookies vs vets though right?

I do smell some frustration with MSL/Slaf. Not going to dwell on it cause there has been some up/downs and I despise dwelling on the lows/highs on the bigger rollercoaster trajectory. That's noise we can live without from our media and fans but it's not going to happen. We can't help our selves
Absolutely... and hence to me St Louis is really not any different than other glorious coaches we had privilege witnessing in the past 20 years. I never agreed and accepted that approach. To me, if the player is producing, they should be given the appropriate opportunities (Guhle). If the player sucks, he should sit after given numerous opportunities (and blowing htem) not to suck (Drouin, Wideman, Dadonov, Armia, et Co). We are clearly not aligned on the merit of this approach so let's agree to disagree.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Never seen a 20 yr old take over a game like that for us before in my life honestly
And on f***ing D no less lol
Just wow

Edmundson was already taking up a key spot moving forward... but it looks like Matheson might be in Guhles way too lmao..

Matheson is 100% in his way, he is terrible and Guhle is captain material. Guhle, Arbs...future looks bright back there. I am not a fan of harris still

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely... and hence to me St Louis is really not any different than other glorious coaches we had privilege witnessing in the past 20 years. I never agreed and accepted that approach. To me, if the player is producing, they should be given the appropriate opportunities (Guhle). If the player sucks, he should sit after given numerous opportunities (and blowing htem) not to suck (Drouin, Wideman, Dadonov, Armia, et Co). We are clearly not aligned on the merit of this approach so let's agree to disagree.

Nice chat but its as far as I go with this. We as fans need to be fans and do our thing but not in a way where is undermines what our coach is trying to do. We just don't have the information we think we do

Matheson is 100% in his way, he is terrible and Guhle is captain material. Guhle, Arbs...future looks bright back there. I am not a fan of harris still

Harris is OK. But what are we building? A playoff pretender or a contender? For now, Harris has Hutson's spot and I'm fine with it.

But If I was to project 3-5+ years, Guhle and Xhekaj are the staples with Hutson as the wild card. Kova as the bottom pairing guy. Barron is a bit of a wild card too and if he can figure out how to actually play sound D, he will be a good one.

I don't hate Harris. I just don't see enough offensive skill to pencil him in that smaller/skilled piece on D and yes, it's cup contender narrative.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Nice chat but its as far as I go with this. We as fans need to be fans and do our thing but not in a way where is undermines what our coach is trying to do. We just don't have the information we think we do

Harris is OK. But what are we building? A playoff pretender or a contender? For now, Harris has Hutson's spot and I'm fine with it.

But If I was to project 3-5+ years, Guhle and Xhekaj are the staples with Hutson as the wild card. Kova as the bottom pairing guy. Barron is a bit of a wild card too and if he can figure out how to actually play sound D, he will be a good one.

I don't hate Harris. I just don't see enough offensive skill to pencil him in that smaller/skilled piece on D and yes, it's cup contender narrative.

I just think Harris is soft, and besides the odd good outlet pass I don't see how he can be counted on in a tight game or series down the road, he's not physical at all. Remains to be seen about Hutson and that tiny body, that's why I'm sour on him too... but I hope he can fill out and be the quarterback we need. I don't know what we are building either, because if we are rebuilding why are we using Wideman, Dadano and Armia on special teams instead of our awesome kids? Guhle, Arbs and Slav should be getting that ice time when your PP is dead last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad