Post-Game Talk: Habs Will Select 3rd Overall

What do you want to happen with 3rd overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There is a flip side to that coin. Could you imagine if they pick Zadina and he ends up being a twenty goal winger, and we passed on a six foot two first line centre!!!!!
And no I don't think that Zadina will be a twenty goal scorer just playing devil's advocate...
Imagine we went way off the board, surprised the hockey world and selected Kotkaniemi 3rd......he turns into another Eller.

Meanwhile, Ottawa selects Zadina, the consensus #3 pick and becomes the next Kucherov.......

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Some Detroit and Red Wins fans are against trading up, others really want to trade up. I wonder what kind of package we can look at from either team.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
My point will always be that if you draft a blue-chip prospect like Zadina, it would be easier to turn him into the center we need (With a trade of course) at least it will be wiser than drafting a player a lot higher than he's supposed to because he might fill a need.

Dubois was ranked between 4 and 6 on most list and jumped to 3
Scheifele was around 12 and 14 on most list and was picked at 7
Kotkniemi is between 10 and 16 on most list as of now......that's a hell of bigger jump here.

I always felt that with a top 10 you draft the best player available after that you can draft by needs.

Before intl. tournaments nobody had him in the top 10 (and if you did, you were pretty much the only one). The only reason Habs could be interested in him is because he can play center, if he didn't, nobody would be talking about picking him at #3. But then again he didn't play center outside of Intl Tournaments this year, so a couple of games isn't enough to be 100% sure about his future in the NHL as a center.

Personnally, i don't have him higher than Zadina, Bouchard, Tkachuck, Boqvist, Whalstrom...
Don't get me wrong, i don't think he's a schmuck...i just think there's better players to pick ahead of him at #3.
And for all we know, Svechnikov might fall at #3, i hope nobody would even think about Kotkniemi then.

I have Kotkaniemi at 7 for what it's worth. But after Svechnikov, it becomes pick of the litter between 3-8 (Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi) I have them all close together which is why I'm taking the center at 3. I'm a big fan of Zadina, but I'm drafting my big center finally because no matter how many good wingers I have I'm not getting a number 1 center for them.

I'm ok with Zadina if they have a plan to magically acquire centers without drafting them but I don't see it happening. I'm not ok with this pick if he's centered by Danault for the next 5 years.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I have Kotkaniemi at 7 for what it's worth. But after Svechnikov, it becomes pick of the litter between 3-8 (Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi) I have them all close together which is why I'm taking the center at 3. I'm a big fan of Zadina, but I'm drafting my big center finally because no matter how many good wingers I have I'm not getting a number 1 center for them.

I'm ok with Zadina if they have a plan to magically acquire centers without drafting them but I don't see it happening. I'm not ok with this pick if he's centered by Danault for the next 5 years.

If Montreal can't get really good centers this offseason, they'll be a lottery team next season. They can get a center there too.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Maybe, but I've seen this team be above lottery level without a center on Price's back.

Not with this absolute lack of centers though. Montreal hasn't had a center group this shallow AND lacking in over 15 years. Add the lack of a strong PMD and lack of LHD depth and there's isn't any reason to expect this team to make the playoffs next season.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This post is in as good taste as your avatar beer........nobody in this expanding universe would ever buy what your trying to sell
When it comes to the Habs we must always be prepared to "expect the unexpected", although I grant you that the scenario I posted was hyperbolic. A more frighteningly realistic and probably equally stupid thing for them to do would be to leave Zadina on the board and select Tkachuk instead.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
When it comes to the Habs we must always be prepared to "expect the unexpected", although I grant you that the scenario I posted was hyperbolic. A more frighteningly realistic and probably equally stupid thing for them to do would be to leave Zadina on the board and select Tkachuk instead.
Lol.......Tkachuk is still a good player but he'd be in hot water with the fans if he made that selection and mainly on two counts

1. Zadina is more talented
2. Zadina is from the Q......and I'll never say draft a guy because of his league but this is double trouble.

Bergevin will draft Zadina assuming Carolina drafts Svechnikov, this I'm convinced of

Reactions: sampollock

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Habs management is bad, but Zadina is generally ranked higher, plays in the Q and has good "Character" and "Attitude". Seems like a Bergevin type of guy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They pick 15th though, doubt Kotkaniemi is still there by then. But if you can go Pacioretty + for Mathson and their first, maybe it's a base to something bigger. Use that first plus a second to move up in NYI territory.

I know it's all unlikely and far fetched, too many moving parts, but it's fun to speculate and throw around some ideas :)

A lot of our posters seem to have Dellandrea at or around the 20 range. I wonder how much of a stretch it might be to select him at 15 or whether there are talents far superior to Dellandrea that would not make his selection worth it at that spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It might be a marathon, but Bergevin might be fired if he's not leading at the first water station.

Major issue right now is how Bergevin is in place while the Habs are in a very favorable drafting opportunity.

Perhaps the lack of involvement by Dudley and the infusion of fresh new hockey minds like Ducharme (and likely Bouchard), who both have experience and knowledge about players from across the spectrum, can help offset some of the dinosauritis that has led to moar intangibles, moar size and not enough scoring acumen, skating, hockey IQ first and foremost.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd much rather take Zadina at 3 and then gamble every 2nd rounder on a C than gamble on Kotkaniemi at 3.

I remember W3K posting how a ton of Cs ranked favorably in the 2nd round. I wonder how many other posters here share his rankings in that regard.

The Draft Analyst also recognized the trend where Cs this year were getting pushed off in the rankings into the second half of the first round and logically, into the second round as there are bound to be fallers. Our early 2nd round picks are like late first rounders, so there is definitely an opportunity to focus on Cs for the right reasons.

2018 NHL Entry Draft Pending Transactions

Reactions: jaffy27

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Lol.......Tkachuk is still a good player but he'd be in hot water with the fans if he made that selection and mainly on two counts

1. Zadina is more talented
2. Zadina is from the Q......and I'll never say draft a guy because of his league but this is double trouble.

Bergevin will draft Zadina assuming Carolina drafts Svechnikov, this I'm convinced of

I was listening to Pierre McGuire and he said some interesting things regarding Tkachuk. He seems to think that the Habs should take Tkachuk at that position, and that Tkachuk brings a lot more to a team than people realise.

I'm like you, I want the Habs to go for a high-skill player. I want Zadina. But I have limited knowledge and have only stat-watched and seen some footage of all these top players. If the Habs were to choose someone else, be it Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes, whoever... I'd wait before making a judgement. There could be something there that we aren't fully aware of. Many teams have taken players ahead of their rankings early in the draft, and it has paid off well for them. Pierre-Luc Dubois immediately comes to mind. Barkov and Scheifele are also good examples.

All I know is that this draft should revamp our prospect pool in a BIG way, and I'm very excited!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mooseheads' GM was on with Marinaro earlier to talk about Zadina. I missed the interview, but Tony tweeted some of the quotes. Here they are:

DcSSzumVwAEGTSc

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't need to move up from the top 12 to get a good player, the top 12 has the best tier of players (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, Hughes, Smith, Farabee). You just trade Patches for a top 12 pick + young NHL player and go BPA.

The idea I think they were referring to was drafting a grade A prospect at center... Kotkaniemi seems to have lots of upside and he can score! I am a fan of targeting centers who can dish the puck and score goals. Call me sensitive but I'm tired of the Pleky types.... Passing in shooting opportunities cause their shot sucks!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mooseheads' GM was on with Marinaro earlier to talk about Zadina. I missed the interview, but Tony tweeted some of the quotes. Here they are:

DcSSzumVwAEGTSc

After the U20 world juniors, he came back to Halifax and the Mooseheads wanted him to have rest so they told him he wouldn't play the next game. On game day practice, he showed up anyway and pick up all the pucks after practice. He's a good kid and he loves to score! His parents were in Halifax watching a game this past year and he had 2 goals heading into the 3rd. He didn't get the hat trick but did he ever want it bad and he was all over the place with several scoring chances. I am very curious to see how much more he can improve the older he gets.

Nobody talks about his play making ability. It's mainly focused on his shot and goals. The kid has the complete package but he does need a center with skills... which we don't have! I hope the god that if we draft him, we don't insert him in our mess of depth up the middle next year. Send him back for the memorial cup experience

- Somppi before Zadina: 41 pts in 60 games
- Somppi with Zadina: 83 pts in 59 games.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I find Radulov's movement more frenetic. Feet, arms, stick moving quickly, like it's a fire drill.

Zadina reminds me more of Kovalev, especially in the clips posted by @Runner77. He uses his size and edge work to shield the puck. Subtle faints to open up lanes or buy time. Smooth, rather than Radulov's choppy style. Like Kovalev, not fast, but gets the most out of it by being sneaky. Luckily, unlike Kovalev, he's dialled in most of the time.

He's not making millions yet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin and Zadina could actually work well, just need that center

Totally agree! They need a big center that can skate and has offensive skill as well. It would be a dynamic line! I think Poehling would do well with Galchenyuk down the road on the 2nd line

Drouin / ???? / Zadina
Galchenyuk / Poehling / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Scherbak

Prey for a 2018 lottery win or Tavares signs. Otherwise, we are going to have a hard time still at getting the guy we need for #1C!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad