Post-Game Talk: Habs Will Select 3rd Overall

What do you want to happen with 3rd overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Can't see Price and Weber getting moved while MB is GM. Shaw's market value has to be close to nil -- I'd wait and see if we can get a less injury-filled season from him and if so, attempt to move him at the TDL. Pacioretty, Petry and Byron are the best assets to move from the lot -- although, you can only trade Petry after the draft since his limited NMC kicks in on July 1st, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the clause doesn't kick in until after July 1st, but you can always ask the player and they can always agree if they like the team you would be trading them to, especially if they are not wanted with your team.

Not every player will say no just to stick it to the man. Thankfully, or the NHL would be the worse league to be GM in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe the clause doesn't kick in until after July 1st, but you can always ask the player and they can always agree if they like the team you would be trading them to, especially if they are not wanted with your team.

Not every player will say no just to stick it to the man. Thankfully, or the NHL would be the worse league to be GM in.

Anything is possible but the contractual impediment exists and it needs to be dealt with. I wouldn't take it for granted, nor do we know if MB even wants to trade Petry. It's great fan fodder until it actually happens.

Reactions: jaffy27

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Read a good article regarding the third overall pick. I'll post my favourite paragraph.. Kind of what reiterates what my train of thought has been on this pick. It's from HOTP.

Basically the writer is debunking thought processes from Habs fans.

3) Teams would be lining up to get him, we can get a lot for the pick
Pro tip: if a lot of teams are after a specific player, that probably means he's good. He's probably a player that you would regret giving up, considering you had the chance to get him for free. Why not keep a player like that? This team has needed to score FOREVER, and here we have an elite player who rifles the puck in the net top corner. Go watch some of his highlights right now
I just hope to god that Marc Bergevin goes ahead and takes him. Taking Brady Tkachuk over him would be an AWFUL move.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Read a good article regarding the third overall pick. I'll post my favourite paragraph.. Kind of what reiterates what my train of thought has been on this pick. It's from HOTP.

Basically the writer is debunking thought processes from Habs fans.
Awful, is MB's middle name...lord help us all.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Awful, is MB's middle name...lord help us all.

Right though? Doesn't that make perfect sense? If teams want the pick to take Zadina or whoever then we will probably regret trading it. MB needs to think about the future more just like other teams. Stop being mister right now.

What do you think Pittsburgh is doing right now? Probably in meetings getting ready to set up for the future, not next year.

This was my second favourite segment from the article.

2) He can get traded for a young #1 centre

If the pick were to get traded, I'm pretty sure it would be worth a good centre under 23 years of age. I don't think any team in the league with a centre of that calibre would trade him away for a winger.
Ultimately, we've seen on some teams the #1 winger is better than his centreman, and those teams are doing just fine. Filip Forsberg is better than Ryan Johansen; Nikita Kucherov is better than Steven Stamkos; Blake Wheeler is better than Mark Scheifele. Considering Zadina is projected to be elite, I'm pretty sure he could play alongside a centre who is worse than him while the two would still do well.

EDIT: Yes I know that we have no center even close to Scheifele, stamkos or Ry Jo.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I disagree that Forsberg is better than Johansen and I disagree vehemently that Wheeler is better than Scheifele.

I also disagree that Zadina shares the game breaking qualities of a Kucherov who literally controls the game like a center from the wing.

Reactions: Hannibal

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Right though? Doesn't that make perfect sense? If teams want the pick to take Zadina or whoever then we will probably regret trading it. MB needs to think about the future more just like other teams. Stop being mister right now.

What do you think Pittsburgh is doing right now? Probably in meetings getting ready to set up for the future, not next year.

This was my second favourite segment from the article.

EDIT: Yes I know that we have no center even close to Scheifele, stamkos or Ry Jo.

We don't have any forwards as good as Scheifele, Stamkos, RyJo (debatable), Wheeler, Kucherov or Forsberg in any position

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Anything is possible but the contractual impediment exists and it needs to be dealt with. I wouldn't take it for granted, nor do we know if MB even wants to trade Petry. It's great fan fodder until it actually happens.

I agree. Was just saying that nothing can be written off as a possibility, although many things shouldn't be based off as likely, either.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Can't see Price and Weber getting moved while MB is GM. Shaw's market value has to be close to nil -- I'd wait and see if we can get a less injury-filled season from him and if so, attempt to move him at the TDL. Pacioretty, Petry and Byron are the best assets to move from the lot -- although, you can only trade Petry after the draft since his limited NMC kicks in on July 1st, if I'm not mistaken.

If Montreal actually wants to win in the near or medium future (and it sounds like they do), they really can't afford to trade Petry. He's the only other top-3 D-man on the roster and he probably doesn't get a great return with his age, NMC/NTC and lack of value among old school thinkers.

If you can get a great return, sure. But don't move him for a late 1st and a B prospect if you want to win with Price and Weber.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I disagree that Forsberg is better than Johansen and I disagree vehemently that Wheeler is better than Scheifele.

I also disagree that Zadina shares the game breaking qualities of a Kucherov who literally controls the game like a center from the wing.

In all this rush to get centers, I would be happier getting 2 game breaking, play driving wingers, that play center (such as Radulov, Kucherov, and Patrick Kane) than two 2nd line centers of the level of say O'Rielly in Buffalo. I know he's good. But I'd rather two Radulov's that two O'Rielly's. Bergevin is SUCH an idiot for letting Radulov go.

From the descriptions about him, it sounds like Svechnikov could be such a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->