Eklund Rumor: Habs Want Doan Now

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Doan is going nowhere. He has his life in Arizona and his kids have grown up there. He will retire in Arizona and get a job within the organization as soon as he retires as a player. MANY times he has been given the opportunity to potentially go to a contender but he respectfully declines it. He loves mentoring the young kids in Arizona and does a damn good job.

alfy spent his career in ottawa and raised his kids there, that didnt stop him from signing with detroit. this is a business firstly with both sides wanting money. ek is likely full of it, but dont deny theres a shot he could be moved.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Let's be honest here. Arizona is not going to be in the playoffs this season.
There is no reason he can't return there after the playoffs are over.
He is at the end of his contract, and likely career, and a single playoff series rental elsewhere to try for a Cup should not affect his life in Arizona.
I can see him seriously thinking this through. Not necessarily Montreal, but somewhere.
This could very well be his last chance to do it.
No long term commitment. Just 2016/17 season, no more.

This.

I'm not sure if the Sharks have any interest in him, or would be able to fit him under the cap even with retention, but I could see Doan being willing to come to a team like San Jose should they want him as a rental. It's close enough to Arizona where he'd be able to still see his family fairly frequently for that short time.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Doan is going nowhere. He has his life in Arizona and his kids have grown up there. He will retire in Arizona and get a job within the organization as soon as he retires as a player. MANY times he has been given the opportunity to potentially go to a contender but he respectfully declines it. He loves mentoring the young kids in Arizona and does a damn good job.

Guy is such a class act.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
alfy spent his career in ottawa and raised his kids there, that didnt stop him from signing with detroit. this is a business firstly with both sides wanting money. ek is likely full of it, but dont deny theres a shot he could be moved.

The difference being, of course, is that Alfredsson took less money in his final year of his deal in Ottawa to lower his cap hit. He played the 2012-13 season for a lousy $1 million. He wanted to, rightfully, get paid and Ottawa didn't play ball until it was too late. I don't see Doan or the Coyotes being that far apart on negotiating contracts until he decides to hang them up. Doan is old and being grossly overpaid right now so I can't imagine he'd have much resentment towards management.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Habs won't have an English coach, but apparently will go after a player who made slurs against French people LOL

NJ All Day

Jan 11, 2016
Everyone thought Brodeur would retire in nj and that didn't happen... he wasn't traded though.

No guarantees Doan will retire with the coyotes.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The difference being, of course, is that Alfredsson took less money in his final year of his deal in Ottawa to lower his cap hit. He played the 2012-13 season for a lousy $1 million. He wanted to, rightfully, get paid and Ottawa didn't play ball until it was too late. I don't see Doan or the Coyotes being that far apart on negotiating contracts until he decides to hang them up. Doan is old and being grossly overpaid right now so I can't imagine he'd have much resentment towards management.

Alfredsson took $1m in the final year of his deal because he expected to retire and not play that year when the contract was signed. Lots of history you can read up on what would have been a clear intention between Ottawa and Alfredsson to circumvent the cap. Obviously Alfredsson changed his mind as he neared the end of the contract and wanted to continue playing.

Either way, I agree Doan and Alfredsson aren't comparable situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad