Post-Game Talk: Habs vs Sens, 10/7 @7:00 PM

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Since 2018, sens have had :
-Four top 10 picks (3 of them in the top 5)
-Seven 1st round picks
-Eleven top 40 picks

The habs had:
-One top 10 pick
-Four 1st round pucks
-Six top 40 picks

The sens have also added prospects such as Norris, Brannstrom, and Gustavfsson by trading great nhl players.

Even with a better scouting staff, it would make no sense for the habs to have a better pool of young players than the sens.

I'm not saying to have a better prospect pool, you're right it makes no sense. But why can't we hit on anything? The common excuse here is that we're working with high picks - but I've just given a bunch of Ottawa picks that were pst 25th OA. That "no excuse" slogan did not even survive MB ...

Sergachev (10oa... traded) and caufield (15oa) are the only players we hit on in the past 10 years.

Jury is out for recent prospects... as always they're fantastic though ;)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You have Petry, Romanov and Wideman that can move the puck all day long and even the 3 other guys are good enough to make a tape to tape pass...

This obsession with puck movers is ridiculous...

I have a feeling a lot of people think about puck carriers but call them puck movers.

Romanov? lol He's not a true puck mover, he doesn't launch the attack at all. Wideman can barely play hockey. An obsession with puck movers? Have you watched the Habs' games last year? They were stuck in their zone all year cause they had a bunch of big slow bruisers who carried their own fatass around. All they have is Petry. We have been looking for someone like this as a left D for a while. They got lucky in the playoffs but a bunch of big slow Ds doesn't work in modern hockey.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Romanov? lol He's not a true puck mover, he doesn't launch the attack at all. Wideman can barely play hockey. An obsession with puck movers? Have you watched the Habs' games last year? They were stuck in their zone all year cause they had a bunch of big slow bruisers who carried their own fatass around. All they have is Petry. We have been looking for someone like this as a left D for a while. They got lucky in the playoffs but a bunch of big slow Ds doesn't work in modern hockey.

A lot of front office people in the NHL will disagree with you. Not saying their right, but say they don't work in modern hockey..... again, people who watched the Habs get to the SCF in large part attribute the run to their "big, slow, D". Seattle had their pick of the litter, what did they choose? a bunch of small, quick PMDs??

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
A lot of front office people in the NHL will disagree with you. Not saying their right, but say they don't work in modern hockey..... again, people who watched the Habs get to the SCF in large part attribute the run to their "big, slow, D". Seattle had their pick of the litter, what did they choose? a bunch of small, quick PMDs??

Let's See if they perform half decently.

But Romanov and wideman lol.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Other than Price in 05... which 1st rounder Habs drafted has had an impact on the team? Or just plain panned out in any capacity?

Ridiculously sad.
Since 1973 only 1st rounders that have had any impact even for 1-season: Napier, Koivu, Price, Pacioretty, McDonagh, Sergachev

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well, NHLers praised the MTL D top to bottom in the POs.

what were they gonna say? "This team got lucky"? Montreal was not scoring goals, they cant put the credit all on Price bc its a team sport, so "defense is great" it is

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
what were they gonna say? "This team got lucky"? Montreal was not scoring goals, they cant put the credit all on Price bc its a team sport, so "defense is great" it is

I'm not talking TV personalities, I'm talking NHLers. It's a simple fact. As I said earlier, you had a new franchise, the Kraken, who had an opportunity to shape their team from scratch. What did they pick for the blue line? The average height is 6'3" and 210 lbs. Only one is 6' 0". That's what they see as the modern NHL game. Just sayin...

Reactions: Walrus26

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I'm not talking TV personalities, I'm talking NHLers. It's a simple fact. As I said earlier, you had a new franchise, the Kraken, who had an opportunity to shape their team from scratch. What did they pick for the blue line? The average height is 6'3" and 210 lbs. Only one is 6' 0". That's what they see as the modern NHL game. Just sayin...
lol the only reason why that defense was ''god in playoff was for 1 reason''

Regular season price last year , close to .900 3.00 most of the season , defense was god shit , Price couldnt save any pucks to save himself
Playoff arrives habs still get dominated and outplayed make dumb turnovers , what changed? Price goes .935 1.35 in the playoffs.

Was it the defense? Bullshit , Price saved their sorry ass again.

Now you tell me Kraken drafted their team cause of habs defensive players? LOL. This is why they did not pick Price. Price and the defense has been bad for the last 2 seasons but somehow Price goes to 2015 mode when enter the playoffs.
I mean they never made any good changes defensively since Markov left , god knows why Price always gotta carry our ass to even a chance.

Reactions: amethyst and abo9

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Wideman went to the KHL for a reason, was no demand for his services at the NHL level. He is yet another patchwork attempt at fixing our D, MB has plenty of those guys on his resume. We do have a solid forward group but it will be difficult for them to manufacture offense with little help coming from the back end. We so desperately needed a good puck mover to help Petry but we didn't get it. Add this to the loss of Price for the foreseeable future and you would have to think that another top 5 pick is in our future.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Wideman went to the KHL for a reason, was no demand for his services at the NHL level. He is yet another patchwork attempt at fixing our D, MB has plenty of those guys on his resume. We do have a solid forward group but it will be difficult for them to manufacture offense with little help coming from the back end. We so desperately needed a good puck mover to help Petry but we didn't get it. Add this to the loss of Price for the foreseeable future and you would have to think that another top 5 pick is in our future.
Bargain Bin has the name for a reason. Always trying to be clever, trying to make a diamond out of mud.

Reactions: amethyst

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
lol the only reason why that defense was ''god in playoff was for 1 reason''

Regular season price last year , close to .900 3.00 most of the season , defense was god shit , Price couldnt save any pucks to save himself
Playoff arrives habs still get dominated and outplayed make dumb turnovers , what changed? Price goes .935 1.35 in the playoffs.

Was it the defense? Bullshit , Price saved their sorry ass again.

Now you tell me Kraken drafted their team cause of habs defensive players? LOL. This is why they did not pick Price. Price and the defense has been bad for the last 2 seasons but somehow Price goes to 2015 mode when enter the playoffs.
I mean they never made any good changes defensively since Markov left , god knows why Price always gotta carry our ass to even a chance.

I'm not sure why you're yelling at me. I'm just telling you the general perception. It is what it is. I guess I'm out.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

Losing's alright,
If it's for Wright

Reactions: OldCraig71

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wideman was essentially blackballed from the NHL, for that Uber video mocking the Sens coaching staff.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
typing = yelling

ok i guess:dunno:

Haha..... the typing sounded loud to me... I guess you were being pretty emphatic in your point of view about the value you placed in the D, whereas, I was presenting the general perception of the league, both specific to the Habs as well as "big, slow" D in general. Not my opinion, but a generalization of the opinions I hear expressed quite a lot. Not necessarily my personal point of view, but the view of lots of others.

So, it seemed you were arguing with me about my point of view and it wasn't my point of view.

Anyway, enough of that. On to the next issue....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad