Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
My dad always says the Price is kinda like Roy, where if he allows a bad/somewhat saveable goal, then the pucks seem to always hit the net after that.

It's all or nothing.
I was too young to remember Roy in the Canadiens, but is it a good comparison?

All in all, I expect a huge game by Price tomorrow (He will start).

I am old enough to comment on the last 5 years of Roy with the Habs so I'll say that 1st of all goaltending was evolving then, so that should be taken into consideration and 2nd - people will irrationally bash you for even putting the two in the same sentence even though you're really just bringing up and interesting question about situations.

I remember Roy giving up a TON of saveable goals, but that was sort of the norm back then. He would, of course, then go into god mode where he stopped everything when it counted (less and less towards the end of his tenure in MTL). Thing is, a Cup run (or two) while being the reason for it can absolve you of all the bad goals you let in. So we remember Roy as being unbeatable, but really it was more of a playoff mode domination (even in his days with Colorado).

People have concerns that Price can't go into god mode in the playoffs and I totally understand that. I think he's been great so far, but I do agree now is the time to show that he is anything but average. If he plays like he did last season, we're in good hands.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
My dad always says the Price is kinda like Roy, where if he allows a bad/somewhat saveable goal, then the pucks seem to always hit the net after that.

It's all or nothing.
I was too young to remember Roy in the Canadiens, but is it a good comparison?

All in all, I expect a huge game by Price tomorrow (He will start).

Well it is true that Roy did let in awful goals from time to time and was not the greatest puck handler.

I think Price is capable of becoming a player of Roy's lofty status, but it will take a lot of playoff success to get there.

Patrick always saved his best for the payoffs and all you need to remember are the 10 straight overtime wins in '93. The most amazing run in NHL history, IMO.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
cant compare price to roy.two different era's.not to mention we now live with a salary cap in place. back to the thread,i like the way the habs have rebounded after losses this season,i expect a full on assault against the flyers .

Habitant by heart

Nov 18, 2012
I am old enough to comment on the last 5 years of Roy with the Habs so I'll say that 1st of all goaltending was evolving then, so that should be taken into consideration and 2nd - people will irrationally bash you for even putting the two in the same sentence even though you're really just bringing up and interesting question about situations.

I remember Roy giving up a TON of saveable goals, but that was sort of the norm back then. He would, of course, then go into god mode where he stopped everything when it counted (less and less towards the end of his tenure in MTL). Thing is, a Cup run (or two) while being the reason for it can absolve you of all the bad goals you let in. So we remember Roy as being unbeatable, but really it was more of a playoff mode domination (even in his days with Colorado).

People have concerns that Price can't go into god mode in the playoffs and I totally understand that. I think he's been great so far, but I do agree now is the time to show that he is anything but average. If he plays like he did last season, we're in good hands.

Like you said, I was not comparing what they have done or how they goaltend, but just the mere fact of the way games would be dictated depending on the quality of the first goal.

It's really weird, because while saying this I remember that 8-0 loss to the Detroit in like 2002 in the playoffs to get eliminated.
He allowed a bad first one, and then every shot seemed to go in.

Also, for people thinking that Price can't go in beast/god mode, they should start remembering WJC/Hamilton, heck even 2011 playoffs.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Well it is true that Roy did let in awful goals from time to time and was not the greatest puck handler.

I think Price is capable of becoming a player of Roy's lofty status, but it will take a lot of playoff success to get there.

Patrick always saved his best for the payoffs and all you need to remember are the 10 straight overtime wins in '93. The most amazing run in NHL history, IMO.

Could not agree more. If Carey can be an OT legend, he'll earn the respect Roy got (in addition to winning us a Cup). Actually, can you imagine if/when we do win a Cup with him, just how much the legend of Price will change?

As for the flyers game, gotta watch out for Danny boy. I don't think he was playing the last few times. That and somehow clearing simmonds out of the crease. They know to just throw pucks on net and hope for a deflection. Who is going to handle that and can we please get back to blocking shots rather than screening the goalie/scoring on him? That Phaneuf goal was :shakehead

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
I wasn't able to watch the last game we played against the Flyers but a few people told me they were lucky. I hope this luck will be with us tomorrow night. :yo:

4-1 Canadiens. Is it at the Bell Centre this time?

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Totally random but I just saw PK Subban at AMC tonight. He was just sitting there, by the bathroom (waiting for this girl he was with) and I was too star struck to chat him up. He's way bigger than I thought.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
All I know is that we have another young future stud on D named Nathan Beaulieu. The kid has loads of potential.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Hoping to see our customary ''strong effort after a bad loss'' performance. Philly's offence is cold with only 3 goals in their last 4 games, we have to jump all over their depleted defence early and squeeze the life out of them.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Price should start, challenge him to be the all-star he's supposed to be.

MT should also shake the lines up and try stuff out against a weak opponent. This type of roster is ripe for experimentation and several combinations could prove dominant if only given a shot. MT so far has shown and said that he rewards guys who play well. Several players have earned more TOI, and others have lost their right to PP minutes and top line minutes. This game should be a message sender AND an opportunity to try and find out how the team's assets can be used to their maximum potential.

The more I think about Gionta, the more I see him like Gorges. We all hate Gorges being on the PP before, but it's not like it's his fault, he's being used incorrectly. It's similar to Gionta, except Gionta was once a good offensive scorer, so it's more understandable that he's on the PP by reputation. He's mediocre at best now however he's still very good defensively. MT needs to wake up and realize that either:

A)Gionta is declining and should have his role changed on the team. His C is about his obvious character and work ethic, which still exists despite his poor Ozone play. He can be a better asset on the 3rd line.

OR

B)Gionta can contribute like he once did but he is simply snakebit or in a slump(which I don't believe but I can see him thinking it). If this is true then he should drop him to the 3rd line anyway because:
-Other players are better offensively and in the end, the team would benefit from more scoring
-Gionta can break out of his slump with easier minutes and fresh linemates
-It would do him good since he is older. Gionta needs energy and jump to be effective, and his TOI being reduced could help him have more spark and play his game more effectively.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
On the bright side, even if the Habs lose, they'd help make the Predators 2nd rounder higher.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
As much as I like Budaj, he shouldn't have been extended...the management should have brought in someone who can't replace Price, but that can at least challenge him. That way the coach could make the decision to bench Price for small periods of times to send him a message without having to worry about the backup not being able to handle the load.

Price is our franchise goalie, I know every goalie can have off-nights but his showing against the Leafs was beyond brutal. I hope he bounces back if he starts tomorrow

Your proposal is strange. Budaj's wins were invaluable, his salary is acceptable, and Price needs work.

AS for shaking up the lines, it's too late for experimentation.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Well it should be clear to everyone we want to avoid the 4 seed.

4 games in 6 nights, gotta start strong

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

AS for shaking up the lines, it's too late for experimentation.

100% disagree. The degree to which they are shaken up would be the question. A few changes could completely spark the team and maximize the use of our assets. And what better time to do it than a statement game after a big loss against a weak opponent. If it fails, at least we see which different arrangements don't work. We go back to the old thing next game. If it seems to work better, continue with the new roster. A non-top heavy team like Montreal has to be open to new alignments because without an elite forward we're more susceptible to cold streaks. Guys like DD, Gionta, Pacioretty and Bourque need to find their game and we can't be afraid to make changes, especially when it's clear things aren't working.

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne
Um... I haven't heard a word about Prust's state of health. I missed what happened because I was banging my head with a hammer at the time, so please fill me in. Did he re-injure his shoulder?

Looked like he just banged his elbow on the stanchion. He came back later and played and looked fine. The announcers figured he had a "stinger".

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Um... I haven't heard a word about Prust's state of health. I missed what happened because I was banging my head with a hammer at the time, so please fill me in. Did he re-injure his shoulder?
He played the whole 3rd period, I assume he's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad