Proposal: Habs vs Kraken

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
MTL fan here and I believe Price's contract is impossible to move.

The only way SEA accepts this deal is if they want Price for marketing reasons and think he will be a great goalie for at least 3 of the 5 next seasons (I have my doubts). On the other hand I don't see MTL adding more than a 1st to incentivize SEA to do so.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
this topic has been discussed several times and the only thing, which have been established, is a huge disconnect of how price is valued by the montreal fan base and the rest of the world. this won't get any closer this time.
Except that we keep seeing threads started exclusively by Habs fans trying to pawn of this albatross of a contract to other teams. So there really isn’t a disconnect. There is a contingent of Habs fans that seem to know next to nothing about the NHL and hockey in general.

the Habs guy directly above is not a part of that contingency. Price has an immovable contract. He’s their goalie for the long haul. For better or worse.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Habs : Price (lift is NTC) + first pick 2021 + 3rd pick 2021
for
Kraken : takes Price for the expantion

I wrote earlier on the forum.

“The main thing Ron Francis has to do is to prioritize.

Answer the question - what kind of team does Seattle want to build?
- Put everything on repeating the success of Vegas.
- Create a team that will fight for the playoffs from the first season.
- Create a team that will fight for the playoffs from the third season.
Then the actions of Seattle in the expansion draft will be clear”.

Carey Price will greatly hinder the fulfillment of the first and second paragraphs.
If the club chooses:
“Create a team that will fight for the playoffs from the third season“.
It is necessary to determine the approximate price.

There will be many who want to get rid of bad contracts.
Seattle shouldn't be cheap.

AAV - $ 4,000,000- $ 6,000,000 for two, three years = 1 st 2021 or 1 st 2022
AAV - $ 4,000,000- $ 6,000,000 for five, six years = 1 st 2021 + Prospect A
AAV - $ 7,000,000- $ 9,000,000 for five, six years = 1 st 2021 + Prospect A +

Carey Price - $ 10,500,000 (UFA 2026) - Supplement Needed.
1 st 2021 + Prospect A + Prospect B

Team Prospects A Montreal Canadiens: Cole Caufield, Kaiden Guhle.
Ryan Poehling, Jan Mysak, Luke Tuch… .these are not the best prospectuses.

Accordingly Seattle:

Carey Price
Cole Caufield, (Kaiden Guhle)
Ryan Poehling (Jan Mysak), (Luke Tuch), (………)
1 st 2021

Montreal wants to lower the price?
OK - Clubs agree to withhold wages.

If Canadiens is not satisfied, both teams refuse. :(
Seattle chooses a deal with another team. :)

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Except that we keep seeing threads started exclusively by Habs fans trying to pawn of this albatross of a contract to other teams. So there really isn’t a disconnect. There is a contingent of Habs fans that seem to know next to nothing about the NHL and hockey in general.

the Habs guy directly above is not a part of that contingency. Price has an immovable contract. He’s their goalie for the long haul. For better or worse.

To be fair, there’s a lot of bi-polar Habs fans out there that want to sell the whole team for picks when we are in a rough stretch (see 3 weeks ago) and want to sell the farm when we’re on a 3-4 game winning streak.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If you want to move Price, Seattle has full reign on every one of Montreal's assets it wants. That contract is brutal, and while Price is playing up to it this season, even last year he was considered a massive cap dump at various times during the season.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Montreal traded Price after paying his signing bonus he'd only be owed $33M over the last 5 years of his deal.

For teams not spending to the cap his contract would be reasonable, regardless, it is highly doubtful he is traded.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Not even close. That contract is a boat anchor which would sink Seattle before they even got out of the harbor.

Marleau cost a 1st to move for 1 year, and you think you get out of Price's deal for the same cost?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
i know im not a habs fan, but whats with the hate?

i thought it was a pretty good idea. would i do it? no because price is only 33.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Price to Seattle is a pretty good idea, but it seems almost impossible to nail down a price that works for both sides

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
would you rather have Lekhonen or Chariot ,, or Price + a first round pick + a 3rd pick ?? be serious now
Seriously, start retaining. It's wholly about the contract. If the Habs don't eat some of it, he's going to finish out his career in Montreal. I'm not really sure where the over/under is either, when it comes to the question of when he becomes palatable in terms of the percentage of the AAV for which you are on the hook. The pieces on either side are secondary to the issue of his cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad