Proposal: Habs vs Anaheim + Calgary + Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I definitely see with my eyes what the numbers say. If you don't remember the Flames having good defensive forwards I question your judgment. Backlund and Lindholm get Selke votes for a reason. Tkachuk, Frolik and Mangiapane were/are all high end defensive wingers. The numbers say it, their coaches say it, my eyes say it.

If you want to question goaltending and the ability to generate offense (outside of Kipper years) I'm right there with you.

Mangiapane is one of the most effective 5 on 5 players in the league. He had the same amount of even strength goals as guys like Draisaitl, Huberdeau and Ovechkin. More than Pastrnak and Stone who are both elite 5 on 5 wingers. Only Pastrnak, Marchand, and Stone gave up fewer high danger scoring chances per minute for top 6 wingers.

I never said Mangi is not a good player. Never said he is not good defensively.

I argue with the statement that he is elite or top 5 defensively.

And I am not the only one not seeing it. Last year 33 players got votes for the Selkie. I checked 3 times and didnt find Mangi name on the list so apparently many people in the league are missing it also. Dude went from underated to overrated in an instant.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I'd definitely move Monahan. Just not sure what his value is. I mean he scores outside of this season and wins you face-offs. Not sure what else he really brings to the table. If I could get a late 1st for him he'd be gone.

I think we should be prepared for the inevitable “Monahan to Senators” rumours. They want a centre, he is potentially available, and played junior in Ottawa. Doesn’t take much for “insiders” to connect the dots, even if there is no substance to it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I never said Mangi is not a good player. Never said he is not good defensively.

I argue with the statement that he is elite or top 5 defensively.

And I am not the only one not seeing it. Last year 33 players got votes for the Selkie. I checked 3 times and didnt find Mangi name on the list so apparently many people in the league are missing it also. Dude went from underated to overrated in an instant.
Very hard for a winger to win the Selke. Very hard for a player who doesn't score +/- 70 points to win the Selke. Mangiapane is neither. You have to do it for 5+ years too. Mangiapane has only done it for 2.

For the record, the 4th best defensive winger in the game for 2 seasons shouldn't get selke votes, but it doesn't mean a wingers defensive game doesn't matter.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think we should be prepared for the inevitable “Monahan to Senators” rumours. They want a centre, he is potentially available, and played junior in Ottawa. Doesn’t take much for “insiders” to connect the dots, even if there is no substance to it.
It does make a degree of sense. They have plenty of cap room and plenty of assets. They also could use the 2 things Monahan does well. Goal scoring and faceoffs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
First deal sucks for Montreal.
Second deal sucks for Calgary.
Third deal sucks for Montreal.

Ledge And Dairy

I’m a Flames fan but the 21 year old center lighting up the playoffs with the draft pedigree has more value

Mangi is great and I wouldn’t even be surprised to see him put up 30/30 next year in an increased role but he just doesn’t have more value than Kotka right now. Even though he may be better right this second
Sounds like Sam Bennett

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Even worse. Mangiapane had 18 goals and is an elite defensive winger. Kotkaniemi had 5 goals and has average defensive metrics.

Kotkaniemi is 20. 20 years old. Plays a harder position and has a much higher ceiling.

Mangiapane is 25. At the age of 22 he had 0 points in 10 nhl games.

Kk value>>>>mangiapane value.

Armia(signed)>>Ryan

Ylonen>>>>whoever you named

Not even close.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kotkaniemi is 20. 20 years old. Plays a harder position and has a much higher ceiling.

Mangiapane is 25. At the age of 22 he had 0 points in 10 nhl games.

Kk value>>>>mangiapane value.

Armia(signed)>>Ryan

Ylonen>>>>whoever you named

Not even close.
Armia is not better than Ryan. He's basically the wing version of Ryan so less value.

Kotkaniemi scored 5 goals this year. I don't care what age he is. Monahan had 2 20 goal seasons and 1 30 goal season at Kotkaniemi's age and Monahan is not as good as Mangiapane. Your logic is flawed. I wouldn't trade Mangiapane for Kotkaniemi, wouldn't even consider it. Suzuki on the other hand...

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Gallagher>>Brown

Lehk + 1st >>2 2nd + tierney

this is just bad.

Brown is not that far behind Gallagher anymore. The only thing Gallagher has is more seasons at 45-55p, which means nothing if they're both performing at that level right now.

I'll take Tierney over Lehkonen, and the picks are a wash.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Monahan is the anti-ChrisT (ierney)
If you're not expecting him to drive the play he's a decent center. He's just below average defensively, kind of boring and not physical. But he has enough skill to string plays together with good players and he's deadly in the slot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you're not expecting him to drive the play he's a decent center. He's just below average defensively, kind of boring and not physical. But he has enough skill to string plays together with good players and he's deadly in the slot.
This below average defensively narrative is bullshit, he's average to slightly above average and constantly improving. He might not engage physically, but he scores 90% of his goals from the dirty areas where you get played physical against. We also don't know if he can drive a line because he's never been asked to, ther than when he was injured this season. Monahan has easily become the most underrated player in the NHL with all the false narratives and bullshit said about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad