Confirmed with Link: Habs trade Shea Weber to Vegas for Dadanov (Mod warning post #987)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Depends on what kind of season he has. It's not going to be a 1st though. A 2nd is reachable.

* Petry trade (with retention to make it more attractive to playoff teams with cap issues). Frees up around $5M
* Weber/Dadonov flip frees up around $3M
* Enough room to sign Romanov and Pitlick and others while also not being forced to put Price on LTIR before the season starts.

Price on LTIR after the season starts creates a lot of cap room. Enough to retain on Byron, Drouin, and Dadonov. Teams looking for improvements at the deadline with 50% retention will be interested but this time around, I see lots of 2nd rounders vs 1st coming to us. Even if all 3 have good seasons, I doubt we get late 1st for them.
You can only retain on 3 contracts, so one of Petry, Byron, Drouin and Dadonov can't be retained in your plan.

Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can only retain on 3 contracts, so one of Petry, Byron, Drouin and Dadonov can't be retained in your plan.

Sure. If true, I'd let Drouin expire. It doesn't derail the entire plan and even with 50% on Drouin and a good season, we are not likely to get a 2nd anyways.

Drouin, Byron, Dadonov are not trades like Toffoli, Lehkonen, and Chiarot.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Usually, when you trade a player at TDL, you get a draft choice (if the player is worth his salt from first to third) and you get another draft choice for salary retention (depending on the amount, from fourth to seven). For Dadonov, I'd think a second and a fifth.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't think Hughes will retain on a non-expiring contract. There are four expiring contracts, in high to low order of cap hit:
Drouin, Dadonov, Byron and Allen.

There is a good chance he uses all three retentions permitted.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Usually, when you trade a player at TDL, you get a draft choice (if the player is worth his salt from first to third) and you get another draft choice for salary retention (depending on the amount, from fourth to seven). For Dadonov, I'd think a second and a fifth.

Depends on Dadonov's season TBH. Offense-only wingers (or forwards really) don't usually get a lot at the deadline. Its mostly D depth (especially those with size) and two way forwards that get bigger returns. I think a 3rd + 5th/6th is more likely.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Dadonov could sputter, but there is also a chance he flourishes with offensive opportunities and knowing he is playing for his next contract. If he ends up on a 60 point pace and is considered top 3-4 among available rental forwards, he might fetch a first or a former first-rounder like Barron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Hughes will retain on a non-expiring contract. There are four expiring contracts, in high to low order of cap hit:

If I got a good offer for Petry that involved retention, I'd take it. No guarantee Dadonov, Drouin, or Byron have good years.

But I'm willing to be patient with Petry. Keep him in Montreal for the upcoming year and hopefully with a full season under MSL he gets his trade value back up. All he has to do is play like he did under MSL last year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If I got a good offer for Petry that involved retention, I'd take it. No guarantee Dadonov, Drouin, or Byron have good years.

But I'm willing to be patient with Petry. Keep him in Montreal for the upcoming year and hopefully with a full season under MSL he gets his trade value back up. All he has to do is play like he did under MSL last year.
NHL GMs already know what Petry produced like for most of the last 5 years. His value will not likely go up much. It's just a matter of finding a team who needs him. Hughes shouldn't retain on multi-year contracts. It adds to future cap hits and also reduces the number of permitted retentions in those future years.

But for the helluvit, what would be a good offer, and how much retention would you be ok with? Specifics would help.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Pretty sure his value is already up, he had 21 pts in his last 27.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Depends on Dadonov's season TBH. Offense-only wingers (or forwards really) don't usually get a lot at the deadline. Its mostly D depth (especially those with size) and two way forwards that get bigger returns. I think a 3rd + 5th/6th is more likely.
This is a good point. Obviously it depends if he's considered a buttery-soft middle6 floater or if he has a good enough season (on pace for 50pts+) that a low-scoring but playoff bound team can figure he would help.

The issue is he is (1) Russian, (2) not known for playoff performances, (3) not a particularly well respected player across the NHL, and (4) he's not a Centre or Dman. All these are factors that suppress his trade value.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Depends when they're traded. If it's at the deadline, there won't be much left to retain. If Byron is traded at the deadline (assuming it's Feb 28th), his cap hit is gonna be around 750k...Drouin would be around 1.2M.

Easy to fit under their cap around deadline.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
NHL GMs already know what Petry produced like for most of the last 5 years. His value will not likely go up much. It's just a matter of finding a team who needs him. Hughes shouldn't retain on multi-year contracts. It adds to future cap hits and also reduces the number of permitted retentions in those future years.

But for the helluvit, what would be a good offer, and how much retention would you be ok with? Specifics would help.

Well the primary assets I'm after are lottery picks and lottery pick level prospects - i.e. prospects that have shown a lot since their draft year, regardless of where they were picked.

I don't expect Petry alone to get this. But I'd be willing to retain 50% to get one of those assets in a package. We ain't winning in the next 3 years.

Second is later 1sts and Justin Barron-like prospects. Not sure how much I'd retain for one of them. It would have to be a Barron level prospect that I thought I had a good read on.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I surely missed it..but has Dadonov even acknowledge this?

No, but he isn't one to talk to the media. When everything was going on about his no trade to Anaheim he didn't speak to the media on the record and instead just gave them the info (or his agent did) he submitted his teams properly.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No, but he isn't one to talk to the media. When everything was going on about his no trade to Anaheim he didn't speak to the media on the record and instead just gave them the info (or his agent did) he submitted his teams properly.

Fine but what about Habs management? Anyway, I don't really care. At worst, he refuses to come, we suspend him...but STILL agree to the deal..lol

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Fine but what about Habs management? Anyway, I don't really care. At worst, he refuses to come, we suspend him...but STILL agree to the deal..lol

I've heard nothing to suggest there was a rejection. I just don't think he talks much. I've seen him on some post game scrums. He's a bit awkward. He's likely on vacation right now. Will probably hear him as a Hab at the annual golf tournament.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I surely missed it..but has Dadonov even acknowledge this?

Unless the Habs make him available, there is no way for him to acknowledge it. He doesn't have a social media account and neither does his agent (Maxim Moliver). So there is no way for either of them to acknowledge it through social media.

Also, the trade was made last Thursday. So we know it's legit this time. :laugh:

Reactions: Whitesnake

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well the primary assets I'm after are lottery picks and lottery pick level prospects - i.e. prospects that have shown a lot since their draft year, regardless of where they were picked.

I don't expect Petry alone to get this. But I'd be willing to retain 50% to get one of those assets in a package. We ain't winning in the next 3 years.

Second is later 1sts and Justin Barron-like prospects. Not sure how much I'd retain for one of them. It would have to be a Barron level prospect that I thought I had a good read on.
I hear you.

Just note that if we are not winning in the next 3 years, then we will very possibly have the following guys on contracts of between $6.5M and $10.5M in year 4:
Price
Caufield
Suzuki
Wright
Guhle
Romanov
Gallagher

See the type of cap hell Toronto got into by not winning fast enough after Matthews and Marner came in. Edmonton too.

Dadonov will not risk his $6.5M salary. I actually expect him to be quite productive here. It's already a good sign that we were not on his no-trade list.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hear you.

Just note that if we are not winning in the next 3 years, then we will very possibly have the following guys on contracts of between $6.5M and $10.5M in year 4:
Price
Caufield
Suzuki
Wright
Guhle
Romanov
Gallagher

See the type of cap hell Toronto got into by not winning fast enough after Matthews and Marner came in. Edmonton too.

Dadonov will not risk his $6.5M salary. I actually expect him to be quite productive here. It's already a good sign that we were not on his no-trade list.
That's why I want to move Anderson. Too much of a risk that he falls off from his already not too high level of play.

Price will in all likelyhood be on LTIR in 4 years. Highly improbable he's able to make a comeback that lasts 4 years.

So Gally will be our only bad contract (especially if we move Anderson). And we have to be smart with the Caufield, Wright, Guhle, and Romanov contracts. None of them have broken anything yet at the NHL level.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The "we didn't deserve to be in the finals" statements are so embarrassing.

Yeah we got help getting into the playoffs, that's legitimate but then we beat everybody but the Champs. It's so hard for people to give last year's team credit for creating an incredible playoff run where everybody on the team played to their full capabilities. There were no passengers.

It was great time to be a fan.
Here's the difference. And it's not about acknowledging anything.

We did NOT deserve to be there. Under normal circumstances, we are not. We freakin won the Campbell trophy, tell me that's normal. Other signs that we did not deserve it, the coach that brought us there, was fired the year after. And also, we didn't come close to making the playoffs the year after. It's CLEAR that it was a anomaly. We had the 18th best record. OUt of 31. Playing in a weaker division. Saying anything else is living in a different world.

Having said all of that...WE DID deserve to reach the Finals once in. We did beat what was presented to us. And while injuries played a huge part with Tavares, Stephenson and Scheifele were all gone at one point, it's part of the game and we did win. Period.

So we did NOT deserve to be in. But we DID deserve to go that far once in.

But as much as somehow we have to praise the management for an anomaly, the idea here is this...you do not build a team, you do not build a plan so that an ANOMALY makes what you build legit. It's not. Old management should have done so much more than what they did. And if anything, instead of starting the rebuild from the get go, they started to gain picks in 2018. They push us back 6 years.

Were the playoffs fun? You bet it was. Would playofffs have been fun this year? Would playoffs have been fun 2 years ago? I don't get that argumentation. Yeah we had fun with the playoffs. But not having playoffs, you would not have known the fun you had miss as it was scheduled for us to miss it. AND there's a possibility that on top of what's coming in the upcoming draft years, you would have probably stayed far from the Mailloux circus and maybe add NOT have added Mailloux, but probably a chance at a Sillinger. Cossa, Othmann, Johnson..etc. Would have love how this board would have said to me if I would have bashed the organization for not trying harder 'cause playoffs would have been fun....lol

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

As i said last year Petry should be "unavailable" unless an offer similar to Patch is being made. If such an offer is made we should be open to retain. Lesser offers will still be available in the last year of his contract so no reason to move before that.

Petry struggled under Ducharme but his stats under MSL are not bad. He had 21 points in 30 games +0 under MSL.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Same. He chose to sign with Ottawa in free agency back when he was one of the most sought after free agents that summer. He doesn't seem to me like the usual "wants to live in a hot climate and hates Canada" cliche we hear.

I also wonder if he originally wanted to play for the Canadiens in 2020 and Bergevin went with Toffoli over him. Which I don't blame Bergevin on.

Anyway I agree on him being productive in Montreal. If he can put up close to 20 by the deadline that'll ensure a strong return.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad