Confirmed with Link: Habs trade Shea Weber to Vegas for Dadanov (Mod warning post #987)

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The "we didn't deserve to be in the finals" statements are so embarrassing.

Yeah we got help getting into the playoffs, that's legitimate but then we beat everybody but the Champs. It's so hard for people to give last year's team credit for creating an incredible playoff run where everybody on the team played to their full capabilities. There were no passengers.

It was great time to be a fan.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Wasn't it 20 million?

I remember NY tried the same thing with Fedorov.

Three years, $21M total with a $15M bonus. At the time Colorado was owned by Ascent Entertainment whose subsidiary helped fund the movie Air Force One. The movie being a big success allowed them to pay the bonus. If the movie flopped they would have had to let him go to New York.

Fedorov got an offer sheet from Carolina, six years $38M with a $14M bonus. It had a sweet kicker where the bonus is to be paid over four years unless the team with Fedorov makes the conference final. Then the bonus is paid all in one shot.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Yeah we got help getting into the playoffs, that's legitimate but then we beat everybody but the Champs. It's so hard for people to give last year's team credit for creating an incredible playoff run where everybody on the team played to their full capabilities. There were no passengers.

Totally agree. Half our core came back for game-1 against Toronto, after being injured for awhile (months in some cases). Price, Weber, Danault, Gallagher were back in the lineup. No surprise the Habs suddenly played much better.

We'd been moaning for years that the Habs weren't built for the playoffs. Last year we were. Even if it was totally unsustainable and held together with painkillers, the team was no different than many one-off Finalists. The roster wasn't built to last, but its SCF appearance was completely earned. Too bad we never got a more solid roster during Bergevin's term. Price and Weber deserved more.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Amazing that of the 23 players who played at least one game in the 2021 Stanley Cup playoffs (still being played less than a year ago) more than half are no longer with the franchise.

Gone are Toffoli, Perry, Kotkaniemi, Staal, Weber, Lehkonen, Danault, Gustafsson, Chiarot, Kulak, Tatar, and Merrill.

There’s also a good chance Petry and Price don’t play a game with the Habs next season as well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

We did deserve it under the circumstances, we beat those teams fair and square.
But, if we played under normal divisions, we probably don't even make the POs and if we did, then we'd face TB either in first or second round.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We did deserve it under the circumstances, we beat those teams fair and square.
But, if we played under normal divisions, we probably don't even make the POs and if we did, then we'd face TB either in first or second round.

There's no point talking about that anyway. The team made the scf. That's about it. Nothing more needs to be added. It was a fun run until midnight.

What i hate though is the fact some of our fans used this scf appearance to pretend it was a well constructed team by MB. It's not the first underdog to reach the scf final and it wont be the last one. Dallas did it the year before. Reaching the scf doesn't magically make a mediocre team good. And it definitely was a mediocre team the results before and after the scf run speak volumes.

Now if we want to talk about the year before the scf run where a stupid covid tournament robbed us of a good pick (hopefully Guhle will repair that) then yes that year they 100% did not deserve to play against the Flyers i the "2nd" round.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I really like this move by Hughes.

Dadonov's production has been lackluster these last two years but I think some of that can be corrected. In Ottawa, it seemed to simply be a bad fit for him. He played the vast majority of his minutes with Nick Paul, a rookie Stutzle or Colin White which is nothing to write home about. His ice time was relatively low (15:30 mins) and he appeared to be shooting a lot less per game (1.6 SOG on avg a game vs his usual sub 2.5 ish). He also had only 1 point on the PP which is far from the back to back 17 PPP he had in his last two seasons in FLA.

This season was still subpar but I don't think Vegas utilized him at his best. It may have been a result of injuries but he had a revolving door of linemates and at times was stuck playing with bottom sixers like N. Roy, Janmark or Carrier.

These were the quarterly splits for his time in Vegas:

It's not a surprise that he started producing down the stretch given his linemates. Dadonov is a facilitator and not necessarily a play driver à la Nyquist. If you put him with good players, he'll produce. In his time in FLA he was playing mostly with Barkov and at times with Huberdeau on the same line. Quite the contrast to what he had the last two years.

His IPP, PPIPP or secondary assist % have never been too ridiculous so I do believe that if he plays with Suzuki and Caufield, there's potential for something interesting here and we could potentially sell him off at the deadline @ 50% retained for good value.

Something to keep in mind also is that our options for left shots have not been amazing (Hoffman, Pitlick, Dvorak) and Drouin is our only distributor on the PP and I think it's been proven by now that we could use an upgrade on Drouin and the rest of these options.

Reactions: ReHabs

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Why the heck do we play playoffs? we could as well give the trophy to the best team during the regular season, or have a committee judge the best team on paper.
You made the finals means you made the finals, period, you earned every bit of it, you eliminated your "more deserving" opponents.
There is always a bit of luck and external factors in every win whatever the sport. If we knew results before the games were played, well that would be boring, sad.

Reactions: Peter Puck

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I really like this move by Hughes.

Dadonov's production has been lackluster these last two years but I think some of that can be corrected. In Ottawa, it seemed to simply be a bad fit for him. He played the vast majority of his minutes with Nick Paul, a rookie Stutzle or Colin White which is nothing to write home about. His ice time was relatively low (15:30 mins) and he appeared to be shooting a lot less per game (1.6 SOG on avg a game vs his usual sub 2.5 ish). He also had only 1 point on the PP which is far from the back to back 17 PPP he had in his last two seasons in FLA.

This season was still subpar but I don't think Vegas utilized him at his best. It may have been a result of injuries but he had a revolving door of linemates and at times was stuck playing with bottom sixers like N. Roy, Janmark or Carrier.

These were the quarterly splits for his time in Vegas:

It's not a surprise that he started producing down the stretch given his linemates. Dadonov is a facilitator and not necessarily a play driver à la Nyquist. If you put him with good players, he'll produce. In his time in FLA he was playing mostly with Barkov and at times with Huberdeau on the same line. Quite the contrast to what he had the last two years.

His IPP, PPIPP or secondary assist % have never been too ridiculous so I do believe that if he plays with Suzuki and Caufield, there's potential for something interesting here and we could potentially sell him off at the deadline @ 50% retained for good value.

Something to keep in mind also is that our options for left shots have not been amazing (Hoffman, Pitlick, Dvorak) and Drouin is our only distributor on the PP and I think it's been proven by now that we could use an upgrade on Drouin and the rest of these options.
The problem is that the habs lack play drivers. They have a lot of players who can look goid and put up points as long as someone else is pushing the play, occupying the opposing D, and opening space. The habs don’t have many players who can do the heavy lifting.

They’re going to have to choose who they showcase. Play guys with Suzuki or expect them not to produce much. Maybe Dadanov will work with Dvorak. Add Drouin and trade the whole line at the deadline.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

I know a lot of other team fans, and you will never be able to convince anybody on what you say but Habs fans. The outside opinion is that the Leafs would have won the series if the Habs didn't make that (what they say was intentional) dirty play on taking out Tavares. Opinion is if Tavares was playing, Habs would have lost. That is what is out there and why the Habs get little credit.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

We did.............deserve to be in the finals, that said we kinda didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs.
It's embarassing how some can't wrap their head around how we do NOT make the playoffs in our regular division. We had the 18th most points in the 56 game regular season............we were NOT in the top 16 and we did NOT play 82 games.............a reality check...........

It's a double edged sword.
Now, on to da playoff,

It was some great playoff hockey, Price's performance against the leafs in the OT game where we were outshot 13-2 was amazing.....The sweep of the Jets, was crazy.............Lekky's goal vs the Big Knights was awesome!!

But you have to have some reality in your perspective to.........

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
So the Habs save a little more than $2M+ on the cap prior to Weber going on LTIR. Vegas gets to put Weber him on LTIR so his whole cap hit is gone on top of the saving of Dadonov's cap hit. And the Habs actually pay even more in that his cap hit in salary $5M vs $6.5 in real salary this year. Weird one.
I think you’re making a mole hill into a mountain

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
At the risk of derailing this trend I would like to talk about the trade.

What made it possible was that the Habs had the means to pay a salary above the cap hit for a player with a salary under the cap hit. Dadonov salary is 6.25M for a cap hit of 5M and we all know about Weber's salary.

So how burdening yourself with that much money make sense?

First you gain 2.8M in cap space this year and 7.8 in the next 3 years;
Second you get a player instead of giving up a draft choice;
Third you get rid of him for 1M at TDL and get a draft choice for him;
And fourth you get the main obstacle to cap hit problem out of the way, which mean you only have to get rid of Petry and let's say Hoffman and you're back to cap hit sanity (or is that health?).

So back to the trend and I say Weber was underrated with the Habs, so that makes me a racist.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
At the risk of derailing this trend I would like to talk about the trade.

What made it possible was that the Habs had the means to pay a salary above the cap hit for a player with a salary under the cap hit. Dadonov salary is 6.25M for a cap hit of 5M and we all know about Weber's salary.

So how burdening yourself with that much money make sense?

First you gain 2.8M in cap space this year and 7.8 in the next 3 years;
Second you get a player instead of giving up a draft choice;
Third you get rid of him for 1M at TDL and get a draft choice for him;
And fourth you get the main obstacle to cap hit problem out of the way, which mean you only have to get rid of Petry and let's say Hoffman and you're back to cap hit sanity (or is that health?).

So back to the trend and I say Weber was underrated with the Habs, so that makes me a racist.
There's more bad contracts to get rid of:

1) Price
2) Petry
3) Gallagher
4) Armia
5) Drouin
6) Byron
7) Savard

Most of these guys are finished, with very little return and high cap hit. Other guys like Hoffman, Allen, Dvorak, Edmundson and Anderson still bring something to the table, even though they haven't had stellar performances with the Habs.

Drouin/Byron come off the books next year, so the Habs get st least some 9 mil in cap relief. Dadonov adds to that cushion.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

:rolleyes:

Anyway...

I loved Subban, loved watching him play because he was of course highly entertaining. But he also had a secret weapon... A few players had this weapon too, Komisarek and Sourray come to mind...

Subban could be Subban because we had Mr.-I-don't-give-a-shit Andrei Markov holding everything together with his legendary stoicism. Subban didn't have to worry about being #1 because we had one of the most prolific (and underrated) #1 out there doing his thing.

On the other hand, Weber didn't have this luxury. He also didn't have PK's youth as well. I think all things considered, Weber did a fantastic job on the Habs, considering where he was at this point in his career and considering his health.

Weber not only had to replace Subban, because of the trade, but also Markov, who quickly left because of our idiot in chief at the time. This is no small feat let's be honest here... Bergevin should have found an other solid defender to support the backend core but he didn't... Outside of Alzner that is.

So all in all, this trade can be analyzed again and again, but the real meat here was shameful way Markov was shown the way out... I still can't believe this wasn't what got Bergevin fired...

Edit: My memory being a bit fuzzy, I do remember now that Petry was also on board at this point... So I guess we can try and argue if Markov/Subban is better or worse than Weber/Petry... I feel Markov will tilt the scales any way you look at it... And I have nothing against Petry, I actually think he is a more than decent offensive defenseman.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dadanov consistent 20 goal scorer on expiring contract Habs get quite a return for him at deadline. Plus Montreal in position to retain on him. A first? A second for sure.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dadanov consistent 20 goal scorer on expiring contract Habs get quite a return for him at deadline. Plus Montreal in position to retain on him. A first? A second for sure.

Depends on what kind of season he has. It's not going to be a 1st though. A 2nd is reachable.

* Petry trade (with retention to make it more attractive to playoff teams with cap issues). Frees up around $5M
* Weber/Dadonov flip frees up around $3M
* Enough room to sign Romanov and Pitlick and others while also not being forced to put Price on LTIR before the season starts.

Price on LTIR after the season starts creates a lot of cap room. Enough to retain on Byron, Drouin, and Dadonov. Teams looking for improvements at the deadline with 50% retention will be interested but this time around, I see lots of 2nd rounders vs 1st coming to us. Even if all 3 have good seasons, I doubt we get late 1st for them.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad