Prospect Info: Habs top 10 prospects according to Pronman

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
DLR is a 6'2 prospect with limited offensive upside, if you're familiar with Pronman you'd know those types don't tickle his fancy. Just for reference that ''talent evaluator'' had Grimaldi over Landeskog in 2011. Pick a random fan made prospect rankings from HF and they'll be better than Pronman's.

He had DLR near the top of the Habs system but he graduates players semi quickly. DLR with 33 games played is almost certainly graduated.

NewHabsEra*

Tinordi is so low because he's gonna need a miracle to be more than a 3rd pairing journeyman defender.

I dont see whats wrong with being an excellent 3rh pairing defenseman with great physical attributes.. Still can be a pretty valuable player for us, just like a guy like De la rose up front..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Forsberg dropping was a big surprise, but by the time of the draft Grigorenko's stock had been falling for awhile and he had long since vacated the Top 3. You're misremembering it.

Forsberg was a bit of a surprise but teams badly in need of dmen went on a run of drafting D. The only true surprise for myself was seeing Pouliot go before him. Teams are generally looking for dmen and centers before wingers.

As for Grigorenko, he was a consensus top 5 pick and many had him at 3 before the Q playoffs started. It was his heartless performance in that post season that sent him down the rankings.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
... snip...

If I were to do a top 10 ranking, Tinordi would be on the lower end because of his lack of consistency and lack of progress. I've seen a lot of him in Hamilton over his 3 years and while I really like his play on the PK and the effort is there, one concern I have is that he would struggle to play at the same level night in and night out.

I think prospect rankings takes potential and talent 'on paper' too high into account, and NHL readiness very low.

I can see Tinordi having a long career as a bottom 3 D (8-10 years). I have trouble seeing the same from a lot of our other prospects Dietz, Nygren, just because of sheer size and toughness. What Tinner lacks in talent he can make up in physicality.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
As for Grigorenko, he was a consensus top 5 pick and many had him at 3 before the Q playoffs started. It was his heartless performance in that post season that sent him down the rankings.

It was pretty clear during draft day that Grigorenko wasn't a top 5 choice anymore. Commentators were surprised to see him fall back that far, but no one was surprised to see him fall back.

NewHabsEra*

I think prospect rankings takes potential and talent 'on paper' too high into account, and NHL readiness very low.

Thats all about projection IMO, where do you think they will be in 4-5 years from now.. A kid like Tinordi has shown some very nice things IMO but as Montreal said, he hasnt put it all togheter yet after 3 pro years while a kid like Hudon, a 5th round pick who never really dominated in juniors, just had an amazing rookie season in the AHL showing alot more consistency and promise.. Still, you have to take in consideration that young defensemen take usually longer to develop than fowards, especially the very tall ones like Tinordi..

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It was pretty clear during draft day that Grigorenko wasn't a top 5 choice anymore. Commentators were surprised to see him fall back that far, but no one was surprised to see him fall back.

French media were the only people who still had Grigo top 5.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In a 2012 redraft, Grigorenko would be picked in the second round probably.

French media were the only people who still had Grigo top 5.

Pronman too I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
In a 2012 redraft, Grigorenko would be picked in the second round probably.

He has been misused by Buffalo. He should've stayed in juniors(and done WJC) or gone to the AHL when eligible.

Instead he was bounced around everywhere and his confidence was shot, drama ensued.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

He may have been consensus top five pick among some ill informed independent "scouts" like Pronman ...but not in NHL circles.

I was on here telling people in February of that year that Grigorenko wasn't a top ten player and you'd have thought I'd grown a third eye...by draft time it was even clear to most media folk that Grigs was not going to be picked by many teams in the top 15...and none in the top ten. His effort in the playoffs versus Halifax was deplorable.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wasn't there talk around the draft too about Grigorenko's age being wrong and he was actually 20 years old or something?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Funny to see everyone going nuts. I have Reway in my Top-3. So I actually have him higher than Pronman.

In my opinion, Reway is the definition of boom or bust. He's either going to be really, really good or really, really bad. The thing that makes me put him so high is because I think his top end potential is absolutely insane.

I do find it funny that people are saying who the hell is Pronman, but then they give their own opinions. Like... hypocrite much?

I have McCarron a bit lower than most and until Tinordi stops treating the puck like a hand grenade, he's going to have trouble staying in my Top-10.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He has been misused by Buffalo. He should've stayed in juniors(and done WJC) or gone to the AHL when eligible.

Instead he was bounced around everywhere and his confidence was shot, drama ensued.

I was never a big fan of Grigorenko as a prospect but I agree, Buffalo's handling of him was absolutely absurd. They took a shaky situation and made it way worse than it had to be.

Wasn't there talk around the draft too about Grigorenko's age being wrong and he was actually 20 years old or something?

Yeah but I'm pretty sure no one really took that seriously. Well maybe some message board conspiracy nuts did but I doubt it had any impact on his draft status, in any case.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Funny to see everyone going nuts. I have Reway in my Top-3. So I actually have him higher than Pronman.

In my opinion, Reway is the definition of boom or bust. He's either going to be really, really good or really, really bad. The thing that makes me put him so high is because I think his top end potential is absolutely insane.

I do find it funny that people are saying who the hell is Pronman, but then they give their own opinions. Like... hypocrite much?

I have McCarron a bit lower than most and until Tinordi stops treating the puck like a hand grenade, he's going to have trouble staying in my Top-10.

There's a difference when you're getting paid to write hockey articles about prospects compared to being someone who just posts their lists on a hockey message board. Lots of posters on here have probably watched our prospects more than Pronman has so I'll take their opinion more seriously.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure no one really took that seriously. Well maybe some message board conspiracy nuts did but I doubt it had any impact on his draft status, in any case.

Lol yeah I actually just looked it up and it was Damien Cox who reported a Western Conference GM said it, so definitely not believable.

Last edited by a moderator:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
1. Scherbak
2. McCarron
3. JDLR
4. Juulsen
5. Hudon
6. Ghetto
7. Condon
8. Tinordi
9. Reway
10. Carr

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
I saw a ton of his games last year, he can really dish the puck, has impressive vision and playmaking abilities. The skill is there for sure, as he is a lot of fun to watch but for someone his size it would help if he had that extra gear.

For me rankings unless otherwise stated shouldn't be about who's closest to the NHL, it should be about upside and their likelihood of reaching said upside.

I mean... if you really think about it, likeliness to reach said upside becomes clearer the more the prospects progress. I don't see why Juulsen would be so highly ranked when we just drafted him and have no idea what he'll look like by the time he nears the NHL.

Seems blatant to me.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I can see Tinordi having a long career as a bottom 3 D (8-10 years). I have trouble seeing the same from a lot of our other prospects Dietz, Nygren, just because of sheer size and toughness. What Tinner lacks in talent he can make up in physicality.

I know for me I don't rank on NHL readiness, since a guy like Pateryn that's been around for what seems like forever vs Juulsen who has years to go, it's not really fair to rank them on NHL readiness. So for me I try to take everything into consideration but when it comes to NHL readiness I give it a much lower weighted average. But others may do the opposite, as I've always said as someone that has been ranking Hab prospects for many years, the lists mean nothing and are just done for fun and something to discuss.

Tinordi I have been saying for some time that I see him as a future bottom pairing D that excels on the PK. For some that won't be good enough for someone drafted in the top 22 but for me if he does turn into a solid bottom pairing D for a long time then that's going to help us. Dietz is a 5th round pick that had injury problems but we'll see where his game is at this year since next he has to clear waivers. I have never had him ranked over Tinordi.

Nygren on the other hand, he really impressed me in Hamilton, granted it wasn't a lot of games but he was able to put up points both times on a team that struggled to score. Had he not gotten injured and made the NHL, who knows how it would have worked out as he does have a good bit of offensive skill. Right now though he's a very hard prospect to rank after missing so much time and we don't know what management thinks about him after his 2 years of issues in Hamilton.

I really enjoy watching Reway but no way would I rank him top 3 as his lack of effort in his own end is concerning to me. I don't see what's funny about not knowing who Pronman is and then giving their own opinions since that is what HF is for. If we don't voice our opinions why be here at all?

I mean... if you really think about it, likeliness to reach said upside becomes clearer the more the prospects progress. I don't see why Juulsen would be so highly ranked when we just drafted him and have no idea what he'll look like by the time he nears the NHL.

Seems blatant to me.

It makes sense to want to hold off on ranking someone higher since they were just drafted and there is still a lot of mystery surrounding them. It makes sense to rank Juulsen high up the list since we have a lack of high end prospects in the system and when you have one of the top scouts in the NHL picking him in the top 30, one can go out on a limb and think that he might be good.

Is Reway going to be at training camp this year? I can't remember if he was there last year.

no, his season will have already started, they are in preseason games now.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I don't buy into that as he simply is soft and heartless.......always was

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I like it when lists like these are a bit off the consensus as they tend to spark a lot of conversation.

For me I'd have Scherbak 1st, McCarron 2nd (seems absurdly low at 10th) and move up Andrighetto a few spots. The rest is more or less fine in the same order. If DLR is still considered a prospect, he could slide in at 5th.

Scherbak (up from 3)
McCarron (up from 10)
Hudon
Juulson
DLR (not ranked)
Andrighetto (up from 8)
Reway
Lehkonen
Tinordi
Fucale
Gregoire

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Reway 4th ?

He could be top 3 in terms of compete level and pure talent.

I agree with everyone though, the list is bizarre.

McCarron at 10 is laughable. He's shown this year he has talent to go with his size.

Hudon above Scherbak is another doozey. Imo Hudon is a great prospect and I do consider him one 9f our best and very underrated. That being said though Scherbak is far and away our most talented prospect out of the ones with NHL upside. I understand going against the grain and standing by your convictions as a scout but this list seems almost like he's trying too hard to do that while ignoring common sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad