Habs Special Teams

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Did anyone almost become suicidal during those PKs or PPs? Absolutely depressing...and Gorges and Bouillon on the PP together?? :help:

I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing and the special teams improve. Subban better sign fast too...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Can't make any definitive conclusions after one game, but I think Markov and Kaberle will become an effective PP combo.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Can't make any definitive conclusions after one game, but I think Markov and Kaberle will become an effective PP combo.

There's no doubt about that in my mind...the problem is our lack of quality QBs...we need Subban so we can have 3 offensive Dmen. Without Subban one of our PP units will always struggle on the back end unless we send a forward back there

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
A few years ago our 5 on 5 play was awful, but our speacial teams were great.

Last year, our 5 on 5 play and PP were awful, but our PK was great.

This year, we'll draft a great player in the first round.

Kovalev and Jagr both with 3 points tonight. Both would have helped the Habs PP IMO.

Jagr maybe, but Kovalev is completely washed up.

Besides, add Jagr and we're still not a playoffs team, let alone a cup contender.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The breakout sucks. No one knows what to do. It looks like a player is going to carry it in himself, then he'll just pass it off right at the line to an unsuspecting teammate. Or that player does get in, but everyone else is caught flat footed waiting for him. It's atrocious. They also couldn't get to any rebounds first. When they got a shot on net, very rarely did they regain possession in the zone.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There's no doubt about that in my mind...the problem is our lack of quality QBs...we need Subban so we can have 3 offensive Dmen. Without Subban one of our PP units will always struggle on the back end unless we send a forward back there

Diaz can handle the 2nd PP with Kaberle maybe playing 2 minutes.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Did anyone almost become suicidal during those PKs or PPs? Absolutely depressing...and Gorges and Bouillon on the PP together?? :help:

I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing and the special teams improve. Subban better sign fast too...

Looking at tonight's game it looked like they had a week of camp and no exhibition games, unreal! :sarcasm:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I thought our PK was decent despite being scored on twice. The second goal was horrible coverage by Bouillon and, I want to say Armstrong. But the first PK goal was just lucky that Price read it wrong.

PP was a joke though.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our PP will rebound. Last year's horror show was a result of giving the weight of our defensive chores over to a bunch of inexperienced defensemen. Subban, Emelin, Diaz and Weber weren't able to backstop a legit NHL powerplay, and that allowed opportunity after opportunity to slip away. All those lost PPs meant all those lost games -- that's last season in a nutshell.

Emelin and Diaz have a year under their belts, PK will sign, Markov is back, and Kaberle has someone to play alongside. No, I doubt we'll be as good as we were with Hamrlik and Wiz, but we'll be closer to that than to last year's hopeless mess.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
pp worked wonders for years with

winger - C - winger at FO circle for one timer

Markov - good shot from the point.

and Markov isnt a "puck carrier", never was, and probably never will be.

guess coaching staff didnt look at tapes of when we had a solid PP.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Like I said in the GDT, one adjustment for the 1st unit PP should be to have a good shot from the point.

When you look at the habs history with Markov as the quarterback, he is best when he has a PP triggerman beside him. While we dont have a Schneider, Souray, Streit, or Wisniewski anymore, we should still try to cater to that type of partnership, so kaberle is not the answer.

With that in mind, the best option available to the habs is Diaz. To see what I'm talking about, look back to the gionta goal tonight. He would be a much better compliment to markov than kaberle is.

DumFries

Jun 18, 2009
Shawinigan
There was 1 good thing last year about the Habs, the PK was very solid, second in the league. After this game, the Habs actually regressed, their PK is also brutal.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Drama Queens,

it's ONE FREAKIN GAME!:shakehead

Adjustments will be made, players will rebound, systems will be learned.

Holy cow, some of you need to be sedated.:help:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I will preface this by acknowledging this was only a single game but our powerplay has been on a downward slope for years now. The team is simply lacks adaptability to the defensive systems coaching we hire fancy. One can hope Therrien makes the proper adjustments, although I have my doubts.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I've always been a Bouillon hater, and I want him out of this city. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad