Post-Game Talk: Habs spank Blues 5-2 in a great collective effort!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Small recapitulation on the first 8 game slice :

I have to do a mea culpa on Petry. Because of his age, contractual situation and the state of our team I thought that we should trade Petry after a career year last year. I really wasn't convinced he could get better. But he is been even better this season than last year which is impressive. The question is how durable can he be ? How long can this last ? Can he sustain that level of play all season ? Because so far he's been better defensively, and he's also been better offensively IMO. Interesting to think that he's actually better than Subban and Weber this season.

On the other hand, I was not all wrong. I knew that guys like Cousins, Weal, Thompson, Folin, Reilly were astute signings. They couldn't possibly hurt us or prevent us from playing deserving rookies like Suzuki and Fleury. I bet if Poehling had remained healthy he would have started over one of the aforementioned players as well. Anyway, it's not a bad thing for the hype to go down with him after his first game with us. He'll be a better player after playing games under Bouchard.

I have to admit I was shocked at how ineffective we were against TB despite playing with a lot of effort and focus and TB only turning it on for like 3-4 min in the entire game and winning easily on the road. It's hard to reconcile that team with the one we saw against the blues twice but you have to think that the blues likely have their care level at -4 playing against an eastern team at the start of the season after having won the cup. We have to keep our expectations in check.

Let's hope this offense will keep ticking all year, especially on the PP. We have so much depth up front. Even with 3-4 injuries we have guys like Poehling, Evans, Cousins/Weal waiting in the wing. Same thing on defense. It's the first time in 25 years we have this much depth. I don't know if it's just a Montreal thing or league wide phenomenon, or what to degree which is what but it definitely feels like we're ahead in that department at the moment.

And to think Caufield and Romanov (can he?) might join if we get in the playoffs...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I still think this is our best offensive lineup (forwards only):

Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki (might go as far as swapping Suzuki and Domi)
Armia - Danault - Lekhonen
Cousins/Byron - Thompson - Weal

Any thoughts?

I still think this is our best offensive lineup (forwards only):

Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki (might go as far as swapping Suzuki and Domi)
Armia - Danault - Lekhonen
Cousins/Byron - Thompson - Weal

Any thoughts?

This would have been the lineup were it not for the Armia last minute replacement:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Byron
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousins - Thompson - Suzuki

I don't know about moving Suzuki to right wing however if he's staying on the 4th line, why not put him a center and send Thompson to RW? This way, he at least plays his natural position.

Also, why is not Drouin at RW?

I'd have Suzuki centering the 4th line and send Thompson to the wing. I'd also have Suzuki on the PP and even for defensive purposes since he's responsible. Suzuki could keep earning playing time with KK on the PP.

Finally, Drouin has been tried with Domi last year. Didn't that experiment not work?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Missed the game, sounds like Clod let the kids play today?

As I posted earlier, great game. Don't bother watching a full game replay, there is only so much vegging we can do in front of a TV -- especially that we have another game to look forward to tomorrow afternoon.

I'd suggest going with this: Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Small recapitulation on the first 8 game slice :

I have to do a mea culpa on Petry. Because of his age, contractual situation and the state of our team I thought that we should trade Petry after a career year last year. I really wasn't convinced he could get better. But he is been even better this season than last year which is impressive. The question is how durable can he be ? How long can this last ? Can he sustain that level of play all season ? Because so far he's been better defensively, and he's also been better offensively IMO. Interesting to think that he's actually better than Subban and Weber this season.

On the other hand, I was not all wrong. I knew that guys like Cousins, Weal, Thompson, Folin, Reilly were astute signings. They couldn't possibly hurt us or prevent us from playing deserving rookies like Suzuki and Fleury. I bet if Poehling had remained healthy he would have started over one of the aforementioned players as well. Anyway, it's not a bad thing for the hype to go down with him after his first game with us. He'll be a better player after playing games under Bouchard.

I have to admit I was shocked at how ineffective we were against TB despite playing with a lot of effort and focus and TB only turning it on for like 3-4 min in the entire game and winning easily on the road. It's hard to reconcile that team with the one we saw against the blues twice but you have to think that the blues likely have their care level at -4 playing against an eastern team at the start of the season after having won the cup. We have to keep our expectations in check.

Let's hope this offense will keep ticking all year, especially on the PP. We have so much depth up front. Even with 3-4 injuries we have guys like Poehling, Evans, Cousins/Weal waiting in the wing. Same thing on defense. It's the first time in 25 years we have this much depth. I don't know if it's just a Montreal thing or league wide phenomenon, or what to degree which is what but it definitely feels like we're ahead in that department at the moment.
And to think Caufield and Romanov (can he?) might join if we get in the playoffs...

astute signings ?? especially fringe NHLers like them ?? come on now...

Reactions: Ben Chariot

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Was worried about Price. That last game against Minnesota was what the doctor ordered. He needed that to give himself momentum. The team is fighting hard. I’ll give Bergevin that. He seems to have found a group of players who aren’t that great on paper but will battle with the best. I was expecting a loss in St. Louis.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We also can't forget about Romanov/Brook and Ylonen.

Yeah I was talking about the prospects and young players in the NHL that we've recently had good news on: KK, Suzuki, Mete, all producing in the NHL, Fleury looking comfortable; Poehling, Caufield, Primean, and Norlinder doing well in their steps before the NHL, and Juulsen skating again.

But that's true we have heard good things about Romanov and Ylonen so far. And Brook got his first recently.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Couldn’t catch the game. Afternoon weekend games are a challenge with two young kids. Game is on but I don’t really watch.

Very happy to see Domi, Drouin and Gallagher continue to put up points.

Another goal for a Suzuki and a good set up for Kotkaniemi. Nice to see the scoresheet on this one.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Of course after I **** on the team after the Detroit game they pull these two games out.

We looked really good today. Our PP is somehow clicking. Who knew that not looking for the exact same play every time would work?

Cousins has to be a mainstay in our lineup, even at the expense of Weal (who scored). He brings a lot more, IMO. I was skeptical at the start of the year for Thompson taking Poehling's place but he's been awesome too.

Pricer looked amazing tonight. Let's close this out against the Wild tomorrow.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
And a disappearing act from the usual pundits.......no fear, they will be back in full force next time we lose by one while outshooting the opposition:)

Afternoon game. People who dislike Bergevin are still here just like the ones who scratch his back before he goes to bed always are. We’re 4-2-2. Don’t plan the parade yet.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kotkaniemi... Suzuki... soon to be Poehling and Caufield...

Feels good man

and possibly in a way...Drouin. Kid was pretty much written off as even an effective top 6er (for good reasons) now we could be getting the kid that was so hyped pre-draft. That could be huge for us and do a lot in assuaging my tank ambitions.

Lot to look forward to. Early returns are looking good.

Reactions: phillytennis

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Was worried about Price. That last game against Minnesota was what the doctor ordered. He needed that to give himself momentum. The team is fighting hard. I’ll give Bergevin that. He seems to have found a group of players who aren’t that great on paper but will battle with the best. I was expecting a loss in St. Louis.

Not drool worthy on paper but not exactly a bunch of plugs either.

I know the dumpster diving narrative has a strong hold (not saying you are perpetuating it necessarily) but can someone tell me the last time we've had this much skill up front under 25? Domi, KK, Suzuki and a Drouin who could be just finding his way is not a bad young core at all. Not exactly jaw dropping but pretty damn solid.

For the first time in a long time we actually have young quality and quantity in the cupboards and on the team. Sure we've been fooled before but I'd take what we have now youth wise over our early 2000s future. Even without the benefits of hind sight. There's just more and the quality seems much higher imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad