Post-Game Talk: Habs spank Blues 5-2 in a great collective effort!

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
A great road win. The PP is the difference this year. They can actually make a cross ice pass (KK to Drouin) and have a much better down low play with lots of options.
I'm not impressed with Tatar this year. Dumb penalties and passes. He's riding the coattails of his linemates.
The combination of KK and Drouin is good offensively but they get caught in their zone with pressure more then any linemates.
Nick Cousins continues to impress. This is the same way he played for the Yotes last year. .I watched every game and often he was the Yotes best player.
Our third line D pairing is a weak spot on the team. Folin treats the puck like a hand grenade.
Our shorthanded unit cannot stop the cross ice pass.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lots of skill there ,but no meat.

True. But, although it's early, today's NHL is much faster than last year.

Case in point: this afternoon's game. We'll see how the season progresses - i.e. if the refs keep calling the game according to the rule book, and we keep getting this scorching fast hockey. If so, I'm not sure how much meat will be needed. And Suzuki's pretty tough along the boards.

Reactions: angusyoung

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Maybe Tatar with Domi to get him going a bit?

Nate has been very solid, and I like him playing with Suzuki. Nick must be learning so much by playing with a vet like him. I think they said he was top 10 in FO's this year.

If we would of had this PP last year the team makes the playoffs easily. Keep it going.

I think Price is getting into the zone, some big games coming up next week we will need him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A great road win. The PP is the difference this year. They can actually make a cross ice pass (KK to Drouin) and have a much better down low play with lots of options.
I'm not impressed with Tatar this year. Dumb penalties and passes. He's riding the coattails of his linemates.
The combination of KK and Drouin is good offensively but they get caught in their zone with pressure more then any linemates.
Nick Cousins continues to impress. This is the same way he played for the Yotes last year. .I watched every game and often he was the Yotes best player.
Our third line D pairing is a weak spot on the team. Folin treats the puck like a hand grenade.
Our shorthanded unit cannot stop the cross ice pass.

The cross ice pass was key on the first pp goal too - it was Tatar to Domi cross ice, to Weal in front. That was the much maligned Tatar's...

I'm looking forward to seeing Chiarot-Fleury for a longer sample size. Chiarot's playing steady on the 3rd pair and Fleury was gaining confidence last game. It could be a good pair. The game is becoming faster and faster. Hard for players of Folin's style to be effective. But I like him a lot as a #7.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Case in point: this afternoon's game. We'll see how the season progresses - i.e. if the refs keep calling the game according to the rule book, and we keep getting this scorching fast hockey. If so, I'm not sure how much meat will be needed. And Suzuki's pretty tough along the boards.

Good point,that line would be as large as what Tampa roles at times.

Reactions: 26Mats

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Our PP is looking good. Love Drouin on the half-boards. He needs to be in the Kovy spot. He has a terrific shot and one timer. Sweet pass by KK too.

Suzuki has been doing fine on the 4th line. Looks comfortable and is putting up points. It allows him to face less stiffer competition than what Domi gets. Kid is going to be ok.

Price was solid. Team needs to grab the back-to-back. Wild suck.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Price was solid. Team needs to grab the back-to-back. Wild suck.[/QUOTE]

Wild do suck,but...

tenor.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He’s gonna find his game.....this is 100%

Just like Suzuki and everyone calling for his demotion 3 games in.........now alls good in Hab land......

Slow start plus small sample size. He's shown over a full season what he can do. Why would he suddenly crater? He should be able to bounce back.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Julien always likes a defensive player on each line. The thing about Suzuki is, he is also a great defensive player.

So maybe Julien tries Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki.

Would be nice to see that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our PP is looking good. Love Drouin on the half-boards. He needs to be in the Kovy spot. He has a terrific shot and one timer. Sweet pass by KK too.

Suzuki has been doing fine on the 4th line. Looks comfortable and is putting up points. It allows him to face less stiffer competition than what Domi gets. Kid is going to be ok.

Price was solid. Team needs to grab the back-to-back. Wild suck.

Then struggling Sharks on Thursday, and Leafs on Saturday.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I always hate afternoon games at home.

I've concluded they are way more disruptive for the home team - kills their routine.

Bring them on on the road. Superbowl only at home.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Great game, really liked Suzuki his first NHL goal gives him tons of confidence, KK was good too seems to connect well with JD, CP had his best game so far

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Is this the Vegas Tatar we're seeing? Probably just short-lived.

I don't know , it's hard to say without seeing more but he is not skating as hard as last year. He looked like a man on a mission that wanted to prove his old team wrong , I'm seeing signs of complacent attitude but I could be wrong. Our coach certainly gives vets like him a longer leash, that's for sure...

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I still think this is our best offensive lineup (forwards only):

Tatar - KK - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki (might go as far as swapping Suzuki and Domi)
Armia - Danault - Lekhonen
Cousins/Byron - Thompson - Weal

Any thoughts?

It's very close to mine. You may have it right. But don't Domi and Suzuki didn't have chemistry early on. Perhaps because of Lehkonen, perhaps because Suzuki wasn't yet adjusted. But I see you put young KK with stable vets, and similar with Suzuki.

I have it:
Tatar Domi Gallagher (no explanation needed)
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki (like KK-Drouin chemistry, and KK-Suzuki chemistry so far)
Byron Danault Lehkonen (like Byron's speed with Danault over Armia)
Cousins/Weal Thompson/Weal Armia

and in April I have it:
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Poehling Domi Caufield
Drouin Kotkaniemi Suzuki
Lehkonen/Cousins Weal/Thompson Armia/Byron

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Habs have been one of the best 5 on 5 teams the last 90 games. Why do the lines need to be shaken up? I think we have great balance right now and I like the young guys playing with responsible vets.

Imagine if we had an offensive LD. We are producing a ton of offence with almost nothing coming from the back end.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

It’s the same thing every season, come February when the races are on and games become ever more important, the refs swallow their whistles.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s the same thing every season, come February when the races are on and games become ever more important, the refs swallow their whistles.

It would be a shame.

Many long time hockey people are saying this is the best hockey they've ever seen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I fully expect Habs to lose tomorrow, Minny is mad , Habs on back to back ,Kinkaid in nets,feeling overconfident...Perfect storm.

It's up to Julien to calm them down and remind them to play their game.

For the reasons you mention, it's good that we have a hardworking, more defensive player on each line. They will be important to set the tone, as will rolling 4 lines and spreading out the ice time on a back to back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad