Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Lukas Vejdemo (1-Year, 2-Way @ $750K {NHL} / $175K {AHL})

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
So I take it they are projecting him to be fighting to be on the 4th line next year? Him, Poehling/Evans and Ylonen. That'd be a nice cap friendly line that would give us lots of cap flexibility.

Could that be pulled off and be somewhat succesful for that group in that role?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So I take it they are projecting him to be fighting to be on the 4th line next year? Him, Poehling/Evans and Ylonen. That'd be a nice cap friendly line that would give us lots of cap flexibility.

Could that be pulled off and be somewhat succesful for that group in that role?

Ylonen has only 30 games under his belt in North America, I would hope they don't rush him. He needs to add mass and strength in the off-season.

I would fully expect Vejdemo to be in the mix for a spot next year. Poehling doesn't need to clear waivers, next season is the last so they could let him get some more time in the AHL depending on how camp goes and what the roster looks like. But having Vejdemo just gives us a little insurance as he is the type of player that won't hurt you at least.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so what, u want de la rose back?

They should have never lost him to waivers when they ended up waiving Pleks a week or so later. At least he would have been cheap depth and added size to our 4th line. I would have easily taken him over Froese, Chaput, Agostino, Peca, Barber, maybe Weise from '19-'20 but that's a tougher call as DLR has more speed but not as gritty.

As for Vejdemo, it's close, he does seem to have more offense to him but I think DLR had some but was just handled so poorly, to go from starting his rookie year in the AHL at 19 on the 4th line and then after the WJC's he came back and was moved up to the top 6 and then ends up on the Habs 4th line, that was just stupid to rush him when he could have worked on his offensive game all year and not burned a year and then doing the yo-yo the next 2 years with him between the NHL and AHL.

So maybe Vejdemo figures it out and finally can be a consistent player for us, but he has a long ways to go in order to be close to what DLR has done in the NHL. And while DLR hasn't done that much in the NHL, Vejdemo has done almost nothing. But I like both players as bubble guys that are cheap depth because they have size, skating, speed, defensive play, can play any forward position. So guys like that are good to have around imo.

Reactions: Habs13

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
They should have never lost him to waivers when they ended up waiving Pleks a week or so later. At least he would have been cheap depth and added size to our 4th line. I would have easily taken him over Froese, Chaput, Agostino, Peca, Barber, maybe Weise from '19-'20 but that's a tougher call as DLR has more speed but not as gritty.

As for Vejdemo, it's close, he does seem to have more offense to him but I think DLR had some but was just handled so poorly, to go from starting his rookie year in the AHL at 19 on the 4th line and then after the WJC's he came back and was moved up to the top 6 and then ends up on the Habs 4th line, that was just stupid to rush him when he could have worked on his offensive game all year and not burned a year and then doing the yo-yo the next 2 years with him between the NHL and AHL.

So maybe Vejdemo figures it out and finally can be a consistent player for us, but he has a long ways to go in order to be close to what DLR has done in the NHL. And while DLR hasn't done that much in the NHL, Vejdemo has done almost nothing. But I like both players as bubble guys that are cheap depth because they have size, skating, speed, defensive play, can play any forward position. So guys like that are good to have around imo.

i think its time to give magnus nygren a chance .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i think its time to give magnus nygren a chance .

I was a big fan of his, if he didn't get injured the Habs said they had planned on calling him up, I fully believe he would have at least seen several NHL games if not more. I don't think he would have be a top 4 or anything but he could have had a few bubble seasons as a bottom pairing D or 7th D imo. Skilled player for sure.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Feels like this is a mutual "let's see how this year goes" type deal.

Likely at the end of this he's back to Sweden.
Most likely, although he has some potential. You never know what opportunities will open due to injuries. It will be up to him to seize them. He was playing probably his best hockey this season, until he got hurt.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This is the kind of guy who is a great option for a #13 forward, IMO.
Eventually, yes. He still has chance to establish himself as one. But that shouldn't be his role to start next season. You need your 13th forward to be a proven, plug and play guy, not a hopeful.

Perry started as our 13th forward this year.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I like Vejdemo but I'm not sure if he has it in him to be an NHL regular. Solid depth option and a great player for Laval though.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Eventually, yes. He still has chance to establish himself as one. But that shouldn't be his role to start next season. You need your 13th forward to be a proven, plug and play guy, not a hopeful.

Perry started as our 13th forward this year.
A guy Bergevin didn't even really want :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad