Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Galchenyuk to 3 year deal, $4.9M AAV

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm skeptical Montreal would be able to afford it with Alzner and Shaw's contracts and Price's massive contract (plus Pacioretty's expected raise).

Alzner and Shaw will be eventual buyouts. They'll never go to term.

Or, they'll go in a trade with the Habs eating some of the excess salary they doled out.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Chuck becomes an UFA at the end of the contract.. UFA at the age of 26.. Bergevin :shakehead

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Hes already good for around 60 pts, so its already a steal

agree, but it can be even better. He started out the year top 10 in scoring. If he keeps it up this contract can be looked at as a mega steal.

Habs have a chance to have 2 guys way overproduce on their contracts. Drouin and AG can really break out over the next 2/3 years. Most forwards peak around 24-28. If both those guys get 70 or more points :handclap::handclap: Maybe lofty expectations on my part but lets hope one or both can go PPG or better.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is an excellent deal that is beneficial to both parties but benefits the team more in the short term IMO.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
so if he breaks out and asks for the moon in 3 years, are we going to call him an ******* for walking?

Depends....if he breaks out as a winger, we can trade him away if we're loaded at this position at the time. If he breaks out as a Centerman, we've found our guy going forward and we pay the man.

Good deal for both parties imo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good contract. He still has a lot to prove. If he comes up big in the next 2 years he'll get paid.

If the Habs do trade it'll be easier because he's signed & at a fair cap hit too.

I think it's a win-win deal. The Habs were not willing to commit longer term. And he gets 3 years to show what he can do and prop up his value toward a more lucrative deal, whether or not it will be with the Habs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't have an issue with the deal, but again, it makes the next couple years the go to years to push for a cup. Weber and Ptice getting older and will be nearing mid 30s, Galch has 3 years to blow up, Patches has 2 more years at cheap.

This team is just giving out contracts randomly.

Yeah. Which means that Bergevin can't be done. You can't make a push for the cup....and not do anything else. I just like that deal. Even though I'm always negative, I negatively like it.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He will be UFA in 3 years, I''m okay with that, IF and only IF we start putting some serious effort at building a team able to win it all.

This year is currently heading into the wasteland...So 2 more years to get it done.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I hope we do.

Glad we have him a show and prove deal.

Don't understand why Drouin didn't have to show or prove anything to get 6 years. Would have vastly preferred giving Galch the Drouin contract and take the reasonable gamble that he'll overperform a 5.5-6M contract over the life of it. Would be better having both guys locked up long term.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Great contract.

Good value and gives Chucky a chance to shine after injury and then earn his paycheck if he excels.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Don't understand why Drouin didn't have to show or prove anything to get 6 years. Would have vastly preferred giving Galch the Drouin contract and take the reasonable gamble that he'll overperform a 5.5-6M contract over the life of it. Would be better having both guys locked up long term.

totally different players and circumstances.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For me that's an ideal contract. I'm not sold on Galchenyuk being a star. We'll know in 2 years. In the meantime, he's worth 4,9MM.

Exactly.

Another bonus to this deal is that let's say Chucky does show and prove and we decide to give him and 8 year max extension in 2 years. Guess what? He'll be 25. That's the perfect age to give a player an 8 year extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad