Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Galchenyuk to 3 year deal, $4.9M AAV

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lets hope this turns into a steal of deal over the next 3 years. If AG can get his pace back to where it was from when he took over DD's spot till his injury we could be looking at a 70 pt player for under 5.

Not worried about having to pay in 3 years time, so much can happen in the NHL between now and then.

How much cap does that leave the team with now? A shade under 9?

Hes already good for around 60 pts, so its already a steal

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I don't know what Galchenyuk and his agent are thinking, he should have been able to get about $5 million in arbitration and go through it twice to bridge to UFA, but that's a a very good deal for the Habs.

5M for one year or guaranteed 4.9M for three then UFA? He did OK. He can focus on putting up the numbers for the big payday.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Prove you can play 1C and earn that fat check in a few years. Decent deal.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
The ultimate show me deal. Very good for the team in the short term, if he earns it it's a very good deal for Chucky

I like it

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
I hope this bites the Habs in the ass because Chucky becomes a top 10 center in the NHL. That would be a great problem in 3 years (as long as he re-signs).

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Wasn't expecting that. I expected Chucky and his manager to go the 1 year route to gamble and bank on next season's performance to squeeze as much money possible on his last RFA negotiation.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
For me that's an ideal contract. I'm not sold on Galchenyuk being a star. We'll know in 2 years. In the meantime, he's worth 4,9MM.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm torn on this. 4.9 is a steal, but 3 years is terrible. Was hoping for a 6x6 type deal, if he continues to be a 60 point player or more that could cost a loooot more 3 years from now.

If he can't prove he's a top 6 centre this year I'm betting he gets traded before year 2

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Well...I'm now looking forward to hear a lot of 'it's easy to say in hindsight' in 3 years from now. :(
Do not agree with this deal, at all. Should've been either 1-year 'show me deal' or commit long term, 5-6 years.

I better not hear that Bergevin is the one who insisted on that length.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
good god. I'm not thrilled with Mb right now but people thinking this is a horrible contract need to relax JUST ONCE.

If we would've got more term he would've been asking for 6.5 a year. Come on this isn't amazing but it's pretty damn good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'M fine with that. Time to shine Alex. 2 years to impress the hell out of them and cash it to not lose you. Or trade you....

I don't have an issue with the deal, but again, it makes the next couple years the go to years to push for a cup. Weber and Ptice getting older and will be nearing mid 30s, Galch has 3 years to blow up, Patches has 2 more years at cheap.

This team is just giving out contracts randomly.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good contract. He still has a lot to prove. If he comes up big in the next 2 years he'll get paid.

If the Habs do trade it'll be easier because he's signed & at a fair cap hit too.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
This could be Subban all over again lol If he lights up he becomes a 26 yr old UFA who we would have to pay out the ass lol

After this season the next 3 years are fun
-Price Contract kicks in
-Resign Patches
-Resign Chucky

I wouldn't resign Pacioretty, enough. Trade him and get us a centerman instead. He was cute at his current salary but we arent giving this guy a bonus only to watch him consistently choke each playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad