Confirmed with Link: Habs sign defenseman Mac Bennett to a two-year contract

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I'll be the first too admit that i've never seen him play a full game, and the only thing i know for sure is that he's a decent DJ.

I trust Bergevin, go Habs.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I consider Bennett to be the most underrated prospect in the system.

I once spoke to Damon White, Bennett's coach at Hotchkiss. White has been coaching in the NCAA and Founders League since the mid 70's and he told me that Bennett was the best pure skater he had ever seen at the Prep School level, and that included Brian Leetch.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Already 23 and has a short window to make it. Way over hyped player.

Being 23 doesn't hurt as a D prospect. Lots of D don't establish themselves in the NHL till 26+. Short window is one way to look at it. Closer to being NHL ready is another. Glass half full or empty.

Give him next year as a pro and then we'll have a clue. Right now he's a mid-tier but interesting D prospect who's been under the radar because he stayed in college. Now he's out. We'll see.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

Ever heard of guy called Kevan Miller? First season at 26 and outplayed McQuaid.

I saw him play a game live, he is pretty good. No idea if he'll make it, but Miller made it, why not Bennett?

frenchyfred

Oct 17, 2006
...On Route 66
well the last habs prospect, as far as i can remember, who really was into music was étienne drapeau (4th round pick in 1996)... no need to tell you where he ended up... but here's a clue for those who wonder... st____ ac________

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
The best analysis of Hamilton d-man on the board so far - good job. The big question mark is will Nygren play in North America next year?

Our D looks fine. I am more concerned about our forwards. Hudon, Nevins and maybe Bozon (we still don't know his status but at least he's alive) and hopefully Vail. I don't see any other prospects making the jump. Is that enough to help Hamilton become competitive?

The year after is another story. De Larose, McCarron and Crisp (more than just bruisers) and Reway will all be 20 years old and eligible to play in the AHL.

In our scouting and development team we trust! Keep up the good work.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You don't know much about NCAA draftees, do you?

Don't insult me man! I know more about the NCAA than most. My point is he is already 23 and at that age he should pretty much be ready....is he? I doubt it

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don't insult me man! I know more about the NCAA than most. My point is he is already 23 and at that age he should pretty much be ready....is he? I doubt it

Then you should know that NCAA draftees get out at 21-24 and usually spend some time in the AHL, which is exactly what's happening.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Overhyped? Now you're just being ridiculous..you look at his stats and make a bold prediction to be noticed..unfortunately all we're noticing is that you are seeking attention.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Very good news!!

Now we have a lot of Dman prospects signed:

Tinordi
Beaulieu
Pateryn
Dietz
Ellis
Nygren
Bennett
Thrower (signed, isn't he?)

That is 8 young D-man on the Dog's roster and a, I'd say, 4 (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Nygren) that have a very good chance to play in the NHL and are already knocking at the door.

MB and the staff will probably have the chance to evaluate Bennett and then.. see what's going.

I can't imagine a world where none of these prospects is traded at the draft or this summer.

If Bennett does VERY well, do you think Beaulieu could be the one involved in a trade? He's probably the one with the highest value beside Tinordi.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Overhyped? Now you're just being ridiculous..you look at his stats and make a bold prediction to be noticed..unfortunately all we're noticing is that you are seeking attention.

You know Grant I always respect your opinions, even look forward to them but in fact you are someone who thinks you know everything because of your so called background....I think you are a fraud.
I am a fan with opinions, they may be right, they may be wrong. I come here to read about the Habs not to get attention. I love the Habs and their history! I rarely attack people (unless attacked), I come here a few minutes at a time throughout the day to take a break from work, not to be told that I am seeking attention.
Remember, I am a fan, not a professional scout! I love a good dialogue.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

The addition of Mac should make Lefebrve's job so much easier, and the Bulldogs a much improved team next season. That's the Bennett that makes their family a 3rd generation with a NHL player, his Grandfather was in nets for the Rocket's 50 in 50 goal. Two uncles were forwards and represented Team USA(Canada Cup 76) and had long NHL careers.

McKinley Bennett will be a Hab of that I have little doubt, definitely an NHLer long term.:handclap:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Then you should know that NCAA draftees get out at 21-24 and usually spend some time in the AHL, which is exactly what's happening.

I hope he pans out, I really do but I just think he is overhyped. I have seen him play about a dozen times, smooth skater, sound. Defensively but nothing that makes me think at age 23 that he will evolve into anything special. I hope I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad