Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Cody Goloubef to a PTO (Update Oct 4: Released from PTO)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laval only I imagine

At training camp, Goloubef is part of the third group, which is mostly the AHL guys. So it gives you an idea what the Habs brought him in on a PTO for. After the word that Brook would be out for months, it made sense why they brought in Goloubef, another RD.

A few years ago, Simon Depres was brought into camp on a PTO. But he was signed to an AHL deal to play for Laval.

Goloubef may end up being signed to an NHL deal at league minimum just in case injuries on defense gets out of hand and they will need him to play in Montreal. But then again, they can sign him to an AHL deal, and if they end up needing him, they can then sign him to an NHL deal.

Reactions: Archijerej

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
At training camp, Goloubef is part of the third group, which is mostly the AHL guys. So it gives you an idea what the Habs brought him in on a PTO for. After the word that Brook would be out for months, it made sense why they brought in Goloubef, another RD.

A few years ago, Simon Depres was brought into camp on a PTO. But he was signed to an AHL deal to play for Laval.

Goloubef may end up being signed to an NHL deal at league minimum just in case injuries on defense gets out of hand and they will need him to play in Montreal. But then again, they can sign him to an AHL deal, and if they end up needing him, they can then sign him to an NHL deal.
Depres few years ago big name

Last edited by a moderator:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Laval's D-corp is quite thin.

Ouellet-Belpedio
Schueneman - Bisson
Fairbrother -
IR: Brook

Then a fight between Amorosa, Beaudoin, Neill and Dello. I don't see how Xhekaj would have had much chance to pierce that. That's if we carry 8D in the NHL.

Even in the ECHL, you already have Beaudoin (the other one), Brodeur, Gagnon and Galipeau. With the guys sent down from Laval they will be pretty full.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It was said that he did sign a PTO with Laval. But I had asked Marcotte and he told me he was looking at his options. And it seems he opted to look elsewhere.

Maybe he has offers in Europe.

I saw on twitter where it was said he signed a tryout with Laval but had to attend to personal matters so he would miss the start of camp. The person said they spoke with the Habs pr department, although it's not like they would say he's sitting at home wondering if he wants to ride the buses all year or not so I guess we'll see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I saw on twitter where it was said he signed a tryout with Laval but had to attend to personal matters so he would miss the start of camp. The person said they spoke with the Habs pr department, although it's not like they would say he's sitting at home wondering if he wants to ride the buses all year or not so I guess we'll see.

Yea, I asked Zadarnowski, who mentioned this. And I also asked Marcotte, who said he was looking at his options at what to do next.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ouellet-Belpedio
Schueneman - Bisson
Fairbrother -
IR: Brook

Then a fight between Amorosa, Beaudoin, Neill and Dello. I don't see how Xhekaj would have had much chance to pierce that. That's if we carry 8D in the NHL.

Even in the ECHL, you already have Beaudoin (the other one), Brodeur, Gagnon and Galipeau. With the guys sent down from Laval they will be pretty full.

Next year, hopefully, we'll have a huge influx: perhaps Harris, Struble, Guhle, Xhekaj.

But for this year, don't know why we didn't claim Juulsen and Fleury and try to send them down.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Next year, hopefully, we'll have a huge influx: perhaps Harris, Struble, Guhle, Xhekaj.

But for this year, don't know why we didn't claim Juulsen and Fleury and try to send them down.

Because the initial team could have just claimed them back.

This year corps is fine when Brook comes back.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because the initial team could have just claimed them back.

This year corps is fine when Brook comes back.

True, but sometimes a team doesn't do that. For example, after we waived Scherbak and he was claimed by the Kings, the Kings later sent him down and we didn't claim him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
True, but sometimes a team doesn't do that. For example, after we waived Scherbak and he was claimed by the Kings, the Kings later sent him down and we didn't claim him.

Because we didn't want him back. Pretty sure Seattle wants to keep Fleury. Maybe Florida wouldn't, but I'm still inching towards yes.

We also have limited contract space remaining, so can't claim too many AHLer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because we didn't want him back. Pretty sure Seattle wants to keep Fleury. Maybe Florida wouldn't, but I'm still inching towards yes.

We also have limited contract space remaining, so can't claim too many AHLer.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I don't know why we didn't want them back. They both need to play and get development time. I was not surprised at all they each didn't make NHL rosters this year. But I would like to see what they can do with more AHL seasoning in the future.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I don't know why we didn't want them back. They both need to play and get development time. I was not surprised at all they each didn't make NHL rosters this year. But I would like to see what they can do with more AHL seasoning in the future.

But again, as I've said, so do Seattle/Florida and they have the big end of the stick this time around. No one can claim them and send them in the AHL unless Seattle/Florida is ok with it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But again, as I've said, so do Seattle/Florida and they have the big end of the stick this time around. No one can claim them and send them in the AHL unless Seattle/Florida is ok with it.

worth a shot to see if they don't reclaim him imo. Nothing to lose imo, unlike an offer sheet where there's a threat of potential future retaliation.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If RD is deemed a problem, when Price is back and Motembeault clears waivers, either he or McNiven could be dealt in an AHL trade trade for a defenseman who also cleared waivers from a team needing an AHL goalie.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

If Habs claimed Juulsen and Fleury, they'd have to keep them in the NHL. And they'd have to place them on waivers again to send them down. And they can be claimed again. The Panthers and Kraken would have priority to take them back. And if they did, they wouldn't need to put them on waivers again, they can send them straight to the AHL.

Guhle, Harris, and Xhekaj will turn pro next year. Struble may stay another year in college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad