Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Brett Kulak for 3 years 1.85AAV

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yep, 1 (One, Uno, Un) "bottom pairing D, or a 7th D?", ...How many bottom pairing LD do you want exactly...?, because i can list what the others did and what happened to them last year.

And with Folin , and Juulsen and people waiting in the AHL for a call up. The bottom pair possibilities are pretty much wrapped up.
And so, if we do amazingly sign Jordie Benn, I guess that pushes Mr. 7th D Kulak to top 4 dont it? Unless.... you think Benn is...top 4 caliber? Hm

Anything else?
Benn certainly is better than Kulak. Im not even sure you have the cognitive capacities to remember these things anymore.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Kotkaniemis caphit is .950k, like every rookie.

The goal is to not overpay on those contracta because you want to have the most money for the big guys. One of those isnt much, but if he stays a 7D and hes payed almost 2Ms, that becomes a problem, even more so when you have Shaw, Byron and co making the type of money they do... suddenly you have 15 millions in cap tied to 4th liners and 7th Ds.

First of all, when you say he's a 7th D in order to serve your argument you're going over the top and it should make anyone who reads your post raise an eyebrow as to what is your motive.

Secondly, the theory to maximize cap space is all well and good but the challenge is not to spend the cap space properly it's to actually find the players worth paying 10M. They don't exactly fall out of the sky.... mostly are acquired through the draft, and sometimes free agency but very rarely do these truly elite players become available. And if you look at the teams in the final this year.. they don't have any of those so it's not like there's only one way to skin a cat.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Benn certainly is better than Kulak. Im not even sure you have the cognitive capacities to remember these things anymore.

Right lmao, after I've been calling out your glaring mistakes for the past couple months, but nice spell checking!

In what universe is Benn better than Kulak lmao, I mean forget one is 7 years younger than the other for a sec. You must be joking, or trolling, or worse..

Guy watches a couple shift by shift prospect youtube videos and all of a sudden he's God's Gift to HF lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
First of all, when you say he's a 7th D in order to serve your argument you're going over the top and it should make anyone who reads your post raise an eyebrow as to what is your motive.

Secondly, the theory to maximize cap space is all well and good but the challenge is not to spend the cap space properly it's to actually find the players worth paying 10M. They don't exactly fall out of the sky.... mostly are acquired through the draft, and sometimes free agency but very rarely do these truly elite players become available. And if you look at the teams in the final this year.. they don't have any of those so it's not like there's only one way to skin a cat.
There was one available last year. If the Habs offered him 12 millions, whos to say he doesnt choose us?
Same with Panarin, Karlsson and Duchene this year. At some point if no one wants to come here for the competitive team (lol) and the charming city (rofl), youll have to give them a reason to come here.... whats better than more money?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Right lmao, after I've been calling out your glaring mistakes for the past couple months, but nice spell checking!

In what universe is Benn better than Kulak lmao, I mean forget one is 7 years younger than the other for a sec. You must be joking, or trolling, or worse..

Guy watches a couple shift by shift prospect youtube videos and all of a sudden he's God's Gift to HF lol.

Benn has pretty much been the perfect 3rd pair D all the times hes been here, and hes exceeded some of that a few times.

What does Kulak do? Lose his coverage and rim the puck? Hes Alzner bad.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

If anything, 1.85 for Kulak IS penny pinching lmao
And the most glaring thing about the two teams in the finals? The two goalies. Go figure

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Benn has pretty much been the perfect 3rd pair D all the times hes been here, and hes exceeded some of that a few times.

What does Kulak do? Lose his coverage and rim the puck? Hes Alzner bad.

Ahhhh but regardless of Kulaks shortcomings, Benns are worse. We're talking bottom pairing D here, if they were all stars, I guess they would be Top pairing, yes?
Kulak is much much younger, much faster, and may turn out cheaper (he will)..for a guy who wants to penny pinch, signing Benn uselessly would be one of the worst things you could do.

Im not arguing Benn isnt a 3rd pair D, but why in the f*** would we sign someone to do the job we just signed Kulak for. Again, they are not throwing money away at Benn WITH Alzner still on the roster, its just not going to happen.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
"Bergie" :sarcasm: just needs to add a veteran backup for Pricer and he might be done. For those of you posting about potential big name ufa's signing here, are you joking? If any of you were a big name 27+-year-old ufa what in the world would cause you to want to consider the habs as a potential destination? Players would take less money to go to a better run organization with some good homegrown talent and with a potential to win, that is not us. I predict that outside of a trade I don't see us landing a big name player, lower tier ufa's will be available for us and they are certainly not what this team needs more of. We have plenty of middle of the road guys right now thank-you very much. Yes I know this it the Kulak thread and he is a classic example of what the organization's goal is, "cheap diamonds in the rough" Paul Byron yadda-yadda.
Lower tier UFAs are seen as upper tier or star players to “Bergie”

Karl Alzner says hello.

Reactions: OldCraig71

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Benn should not be ahead of Juulsen in a young team that is looking to improve. Benn will be 32. He's not the type of guys playing until 40. He can be a good vet for a good team looking to add depth with experience. But if you are looking to improve thru draft Juulsen must be ahead of Benn. Playing Benn instead of Juulsen would be dumb imo.
Juulsen is not a future top-4 D. Brook hopefully is, maybe Fleury too.

Benn is ok for a year, maximum two.

Perhaps Juulsen can be traded for a similar LHD prospect from a team that needs a RHD.

Jul 6, 2016
Juulsen is not a future top-4 D. Brook hopefully is, maybe Fleury too.

Perhaps Juulsen can be traded for a similar LHD prospect from a team that needs a RHD.

Way too early to do that. We don't even know how Brook gonna do at AHL level. Juulsen will be a solid #5, even #4 d-man.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
[QUOTE="BaseballCoach, post: 161335941, member: 46457"]Juulsen is not a future top-4 D. Brook hopefully is, maybe Fleury too.

Perhaps Juulsen can be traded for a similar LHD prospect from a team that needs a RHD.[/QUOTE]

Why not?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What about Armia and Lekhonen? Most say theyre 4th liners and they have similar production... would you be happy if I said 3td liners? Its not wise to overpay your fourth and third liners.

Shaw is slightly (0.5-1 million) overpaid. Byron is not and is a middle 6 winger. Armia/Lehkonen are definitely 3rd liner on most teams. 1.85 million is 2.2% of the cap for next year, which is fine for a bottom pair D.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They have historically been just that. Kulak isnt anything better than a 7th, hes struggle to stay in the Habs line-up, lol.

Byron and Shaw have been 4th liners for like 90% of their careers...
You either have a tendency to exaggerate or your TV is hooked up to Inter-dimensional Cable. It's the only explanations I can think of for such.............hot takes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Shaw is slightly (0.5-1 million) overpaid. Byron is not and is a middle 6 winger. Armia/Lehkonen are definitely 3rd liner on most teams. 1.85 million is 2.2% of the cap for next year, which is fine for a bottom pair D.
Byron has been averaging 35 points a season since he came out, at 3.5, thats more expensive per points than Kane...

If you were to actually look at fair value :
Jonas Donskoi at 50k per point
Bjorkstrand at 64k per point
Coleman at 50k
Vesey at 65k
McCann at 30k

Basically what you get at the value Byron brings is either 3rd line centers like Eller (97k on the dot), Bonino, defensemen like Muzzin, Montour and or veterans that are on the decline and that are finishing their contracts like Stepan.

The value he brings is that of a bottom six forward, but he's paid like a low-end top 6er. Its just not that good of a contract.
Same for Shaw, by the way.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Byron has been averaging 35 points a season since he came out, at 3.5, thats more expensive per points than Kane...

If you were to actually look at fair value :
Jonas Donskoi at 50k per point
Bjorkstrand at 64k per point
Coleman at 50k
Vesey at 65k
McCann at 30k

Basically what you get at the value Byron brings is either 3rd line centers like Eller (97k on the dot), Bonino, defensemen like Muzzin, Montour and or veterans that are on the decline and that are finishing their contracts like Stepan.

The value he brings is that of a bottom six forward, but he's paid like a low-end top 6er. Its just not that good of a contract.
Same for Shaw, by the way.

Bottom 6 guys get 20+ goals? That's new to me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bottom 6 guys get 20+ goals? That's new to me.
A lot of them do, yes, when given too much ice-time.

Darche put up 12 goals in 52 games with Martin one year
Deslaurier put up 10 goals in 50 games last year..
Weise put up 14 goals in 56 games.

It happens, a lot of players have the ability to pot 15-20, its not something special, doing it consistently is what is hard, and without the loads of ice-time/ridiculous shooting percentages/PDO

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Good signing, cheap bottom pairing D. Now its time to get rid of dead weight. I am eager to see what MB is going to do. Team needs a top pairing LD and a sniper. Will they buy out Alzner or trade for a similar type contract? Would Ottawa accept a Ryan/Alzner trade with some retained salary for Ryan?

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015

It happens, a lot of players have the ability to pot 15-20, its not something special, doing it consistently is what is hard, and without the loads of ice-time/ridiculous shooting percentages/PDO

Funny how most teams have between 3 and 5 20+ goals scorer, if any depth player that gets a lot of ice time can do it how is it possible that only 2 teams have all 6 players of their 2 first lines with 20+ goals

0 ARI
1 ANA
2 LA NJ
3 BUF DAL MIN MTL NAS NYI NYR STL VAN
4 BOS CAR CHI COL DET EDM OTT PIT
5 CGY CBS FLO PHI SJ TB VGK WPG
7 TOR WSH

20 goals is not something easy, Cizikas, Chiasson and Coleman are the only 3 players that got 20 goals this year that are clearly not top 6 foward

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You either have a tendency to exaggerate or your TV is hooked up to Inter-dimensional Cable. It's the only explanations I can think of for such.............hot takes.

I know they're hot takes but you have to admit they're entertaining. :laugh:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Jeeze, I gotta go back to school. The math they taught me is outdated. Here I was thinking 20 = 20 but now I read that they've gone and changed it on me. 20=14=12 and even equals 10.

Reactions: sharks9 and Eegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad