Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Brett Kulak for 3 years 1.85AAV

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
"When I got the opportunity to sign the three years, it was a no-brainer for me. That's the dream growing up: when you work, you want to play at the highest level in the world. And I think the Canadiens are probably the best franchise in the world and hockey market to play in," praised Kulak. "That's the dream and the goal to work towards. I didn't hesitate when I got the chance to sign for three years."

"When I got the opportunity to sign the three years, it was a no-brainer for me (because it set me up for life money wise when last year I wasn't even sure I'd ever be an NHL player lol)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
pqI2I8o.png

What are those, pant leg lengths for Bergevin?

What’s “Off_GF”? When your girlfriend says it’s enough?

Meaningless without at least a short comment.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Compare Kulak to Petry at the same age. If he can continue to improve like Petry did after 25, Kulak can be more than a depth player. He has all the tools, size, speed, mobility and some offensive instincts. Like Petry at 25, he still need to improve in his zone and I think he will.

This.

I don't know if Kulak will become a 40+ point Dmen, but I think by year 2 or 3 he could be putting up 30 points.

Look at how many NHL games Kulak has played, he is a baby as far as NHL defensemen go. And D usually hit their stride 25/26/27.

This could end up being a real steal of a deal. I think Kulak still has some growth and I doubt 17 points in 57 games is going to be his career high.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
The Habs can’t shed too many D, Petry has very good market value right now. His next contract He will be looking for a retirement type term. We should look at moving him while he is of value.

I know I’m dreaming here but getting Karlsson as UFA would really set us up for the future.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Remember that Calgary traded Kulak to the Habs as a favor to the player. Success comes with opportunity, especially for underdogs. High draft picks will get all the opportunities to justify the fact they were taken early. Later picks do not not get that many opportunities. Maybe the trade to Montréal will prove to be the opportunity Kulak needed at the right time in his development.

I thought it was reported he pissed off Flames management with his contract demands and that’s why they just dumped him?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The Habs can’t shed too many D, Petry has very good market value right now. His next contract He will be looking for a retirement type term. We should look at moving him while he is of value.

I know I’m dreaming here but getting Karlsson as UFA would really set us up for the future.

We have D's graduating to the pros this year and next.
Petry will most likely be moved after next year to make room for Brook
If the team was (or is) circling the drain for some reason next year, then even more people are up for trade

Getting Karlsson, you have to move one of weber or petry RIGHT away, but its a nice pipe dream for sure

But id focus more on acquiring a 30 point+ LD before another RD..

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I like the way our D is shaping up.

Weber and Perty are a good 1 2 punch.

Mete is still young I think people forget that.

Kulak has some more improvment in him.

If Benn would take a 1 year contract he is fine on the bottom pair but I think another team will offer him a contract MB should not match.

And we have some young gun like Juulsen/Brook/Fleury that could maybe surprise.

I would let Benn walk and sign another journeyman moneyball bottom pair guy, you can't ever have too many Dmen.

And in the end we have Price making 10.5 so he has to be the last line of defense.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I thought it was reported he pissed off Flames management with his contract demands and that’s why they just dumped him?

He did.

In the summer of 2018, he took the Flames to arbitration and not the other way around:

Reports suggest that Kulak desired a one-way contract worth $1.15-million while the Flames were prepared to offer the league minimum.

And the Flames responded with this:

Treliving placed Kulak on waivers ..., a decision that was likely to bolster the Flames case that Kulak’s value was not as high as his salary demands were (although Treliving wouldn’t comment on the reasoning behind it). As such, 30 NHL teams took a pass on the 6-foot-2, 187-pounder.

In the end, he didn't cost much for the Habs to acquire (Taormina, Valiev). But, just like Byron, they could have picked him off for free off the wire.

Reactions: McTusk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Evolving-Hockey

click "more" > glossary or references (RAPM section)

Unless you're used to navigating that site, I found the same Purple Pant Length graph and still no explanation in plain English to put it in context.

I wish I were tackling stuff like this when I used to study advanced stats and pure and applied sciences. It's been a while, though.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The Flames wanted to give ice time to Jusso Valimaki. Kulak was under contract and passed waivers, so the only reason to trade him was to make him a favor by sending him to a team where he may get a chance in the NHL.

Also. Again. Nobody is talking about Gustav Olofsson. He is one year younger than Kulak with an interesting potential. He could end up being the #6 D. Bergevin gave Will Bitten for him.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
so, we're one player away from having the exact same team that ended last season.

Reactions: LaP

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol @ overpaying, now you're just trying too hard to be "different"

If you had it your way the whole team would be 23 players who are 18 and 19 years old.

Its 1.85 my man... even Kotkas cap hit is 2.2.

Josh Gorges made 3.9 million a year... Karl Alzner makes 4.6....
Kotkaniemis caphit is .950k, like every rookie.

The goal is to not overpay on those contracta because you want to have the most money for the big guys. One of those isnt much, but if he stays a 7D and hes payed almost 2Ms, that becomes a problem, even more so when you have Shaw, Byron and co making the type of money they do... suddenly you have 15 millions in cap tied to 4th liners and 7th Ds.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

The goal is to not overpay on those contracta because you want to have the most money for the big guys. One of those isnt much, but if he stays a 7D and hes payed almost 2Ms, that becomes a problem, even more so when you have Shaw, Byron and co making the type of money they do... suddenly you have 15 millions in cap tied to 4th liners and 7th Ds.

Im sorry bud, but Kotka's cap hit is 3.4 Mill actually.
First rounders get performance bonuses, unfortunately even if they dont meet them, the cap hit remains.

You realize Schlemko was making 2.1 mill as a 3rd pairing D in san jose yes? many many many more 3rd pairing guys make more than 1.85, im blown away that you think 1.85 is overpaying a RFA lol..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im sorry bud, but Kotka's cap hit is 3.4 Mill actually.
First rounders get performance bonuses, unfortunately even if they dont meet them, the cap hit remains.

You realize Schlemko was making 2.1 mill as a 3rd pairing D in san jose yes? many many many more 3rd pairing guys make more than 1.85, im blown away that you think 1.85 is overpaying a RFA lol..
Theres a percentage allowed for performance bonuses... and since theres only top rookies that get it you rarely pay them.

Also Schlemko was overpaid, and a lot of players are overpaid. The goal is to penny pinch to have the best team possible. Handing out 1.9 millions for three years for a 7th D isnt it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Byron, Shaw and Kulak aren't 4th liners/7th D though.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Kulak , Folin, Weal and Thompson are not what this team needs. You go after skill and goals and if you have money remaining you sign the plugs. Its looking more and more like another year with 8-10M of unused cap space

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with bringing him back. When you look at who is under contract next year, you already have 8 defensemen.

I won't be up in arms if they do sign Benn. But I think at this point, it's unnecessary.
Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Reilly-Benn
Folin

I doubt Juulsen is ready for the NHL right now, we need a 3rd pair RD if Benn doesn't come back. Benn gets a lot of hate, but he's been pretty good on the 3rd pair. He is just a liability when he plays in the top 4.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad