Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 2 Czech defensemen, David Sklenicka and Michal Moravcik

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
What's that quote? Expect the worst and hope for the best? I dunno, something like that.

Honestly, these guys will probably never make it, but our current LHD depth right now in Laval is Taormina, Parisi, Bourque and Valiev who is likely gone this summer anyways. Our LHD prospects are still another year or two from the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Something like that, yeah, to me that should be a given when signing an undrafted UFA, or when you sign the 4th to 7th rounders you drafted.

Don't expect anything, just have a dim hope of surprise.

Signing two guys who are probably bound for Laval leaves little to no room for Galipeau

On paper you're right, no room for him, but if they're serious about adding him they'll make some place.

Bourque, to me, should be ECHL bound to find a way to produce more and gain more confidence. Plant will probably get there too.

All I know is that Galipeau just won the Memorial Cup, and is from Montreal, let's forget about the player, but imagine the PR boost the Habs would get by signing him, I'm sure Bergevin is drooling to that perspective :laugh:

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They are most likely AHL bound this year.

My thoughts as well. There will be focus to make our team in Laval competitive this year. We need to establish a winning culture with our farm team. I expect more moves like this. Not sure if Terry is back.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't know, man. Galipeau is a 21 year old playing against young teenagers. What I saw from him at the Memorial was at best a ceiling as a decent AHLer.

And yet we signed Adam Plant who you think is what? We had Tom Parisi in our system. We drafted Simon Bourque. This team is made of players that couldn't even be decent. So at this point, I'd take decent. But in the end, this is a defenceman that at 21 years old, we still have NO IDEA how they will turn out to be as they progress slower than forwards. I know one thing.....I prefer we pick a player that dominates his level to see if there's another gear after that.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And yet we signed Adam Plant who you think is what? We had Tom Parisi in our system. We drafted Simon Bourque. This team is made of players that couldn't even be decent. So at this point, I'd take decent. But in the end, this is a defenceman that at 21 years old, we still have NO IDEA how they will turn out to be as they progress slower than forwards. I know one thing.....I prefer we pick a player that dominates his level to see if there's another gear after that.

I never saw Plant so I don't know. Never saw Parisi in the Rocket games I watched. Bourque I've seen and he may become a fringe NHLer but whether or not we sign a 21 year old still playing juniors is not terribly important.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Surprised they are both left shooting D. Depth at the AHL looks like this...

LD: Taormina, Bourque, Moravcik, Sklenicka, Parisi (RFA)

RD: Juulsen, Lernout. Who else?

I suspect Juulsen makes the Habs next year but won't be surprised if he plays AHL. Then maybe add Fleury on the right side as I think we sign him. That's all we got for Right D at the AHL level.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Surprised they are both left shooting D. Depth at the AHL looks like this...

LD: Taormina, Bourque, Moravcik, Sklenicka, Parisi (RFA)

RD: Juulsen, Lernout. Who else?

I suspect Juulsen makes the Habs next year but won't be surprised if he plays AHL. Then maybe add Fleury on the right side as I think we sign him. That's all we got for Right D at the AHL level.

I'm guessing we are adding LHD depth for cheap. I have no problems with that. Valiev is gone also, right? There was a definite hole at LD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm guessing we are adding LHD depth for cheap. I have no problems with that. Valiev is gone also, right? There was a definite hole at LD.

Work to do on the RD side too. Especially if Juulsen makes the Habs next year. Maybe their plan is to have him play in Laval?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What's that quote? Expect the worst and hope for the best? I dunno, something like that.

Honestly, these guys will probably never make it, but our current LHD depth right now in Laval is Taormina, Parisi, Bourque and Valiev who is likely gone this summer anyways. Our LHD prospects are still another year or two from the AHL, let alone the NHL.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best is the way it goes :)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I never saw Plant so I don't know. Never saw Parisi in the Rocket games I watched. Bourque I've seen and he may become a fringe NHLer but whether or not we sign a 21 year old still playing juniors is not terribly important.

In an era where there's only 7 rounds in a draft.....you absolutely cannot think that any signing is not terribly important. I guess at one point signing Gourde was not important either. Or Marchessault. Or Tyler Johnson etc. At one point, yes, there are more duds than studs....but there are still some studs in there. And if at worst, the guy you get is JUST a very good AHL'er....well maybe it helps the team wins and let the prospects develop. And it then becomes important.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Work to do on the RD side too. Especially if Juulsen makes the Habs next year. Maybe their plan is to have him play in Laval?

Yup. Fleury will sign and play in Laval. Juulsen probably will have to win a spot in camp. Lernout is still around and probably 2 more coming next year from last years draft. Maybe we get a stop gap if Juulsen makes the club.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
I'd sign him to a AHL contract. Let them battle it out for a spot.
I doubt Galipeau Will accept that, as he lost most likely has some NHL interest after a stellar Memorial Cup. We have the contract room for it, I see no reason why we should keep Parish instead of adding Galipeau either, just don't qualify him.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt Galipeau Will accept that, as he lost most likely has some NHL interest after a stellar Memorial Cup. We have the contract room for it, I see no reason why we should keep Parish instead of adding Galipeau either, just don't qualify him.

He is going to have NHL interest for sure but no team is going to overpay as there are plenty of these types available every year. Hope they sign him though. The more depth the better. I think it comes down to what team he thinks is his best fit. Most contracts will be similar that team offer him IMO

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In an era where there's only 7 rounds in a draft.....you absolutely cannot think that any signing is not terribly important. I guess at one point signing Gourde was not important either. Or Marchessault. Or Tyler Johnson etc. At one point, yes, there are more duds than studs....but there are still some studs in there. And if at worst, the guy you get is JUST a very good AHL'er....well maybe it helps the team wins and let the prospects develop. And it then becomes important.

What I'm saying is Galipeau is not an undrafted junior player. He's a 21 year old playing juniors. Hell, if you send Alzner to play on a junior team, he'll look great.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Moravcik looked very good at the WC and I think he's likely to get a call up next season. I wasn't all that impressed by Sklenicka, highly doubt he ever makes the NHL full time. I would've much preferred Sulak from this years WC but unfortunately he got signed by Detroit a few months back.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Taormina is probably gone, but Parisi was solid for Laval, Valiev will begin negotiating a new contract in June and Bourque never even got a real chance in Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad