Habs shutout sabres 2-0!!!!! In other news laughs listed 9th!

Habsman10*

Am I the only person who noticed Emelins piss poor puck handling skills? Yesterday was awful, he couldn't control the thing.

PricePkPatch*

The reason they look good is probably because they play less minutes and don't have the tough match ups They would have playing with Plek.
Let them be the 3rd line.

Basically this.

Gallagher/Chuck are gaining great experience playing with Pleky, while Bourque/Gionta are proving to be more effective than ever playing on our 3rd - The Veteran Line.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
The pp needs to be tweeked. Its atrocious. Change some of the players and the strategy. This really needs to be addressed before the playoffs.

I actually kind of liked it since VAnek was put on the first unit, but the last few games they have struggled. In fact it could probably be argued that the 2nd unit had more success.

PricePkPatch*

I actually kind of liked it since VAnek was put on the first unit, but the last few games they have struggled. In fact it could probably be argued that the 2nd unit had more success.

It's all right, methink. Our PP are getting their chances, we just have had bad execution. The core fundamentals are sound, and we get regular zone entry.

Although I have to wonder why it's Patch, and not Vanek, who goes right in front of the net. Vanek is a natural netblocker.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For all we laugh about Bergevin's obsession with character, there's clearly a character problem with the Leafs.

One choke can happen to anybody, two chokes is merely a coincidence. But choking year after year? That has to be something else.
I really thought they'd be a lot better with some of the talent on that roster. But man, those guys just don't know how to play hockey.

What is it over there? Coaching? Lack of any kind of system? They just get outplayed every night. They've gotten amazing goaltending and have one of the best scorers in the league... otherwise they'd be dead last - or at least down there near Buffalo anyway.
You watched that game and thought "wow, MT's a good coach"? Really?

What I'll give Therrien credit for is the team's record.
I hate his strategies but hard to crap on him when the team keeps winning games.
I'll give that credit to our goalies.
LeafNation set to implode. Wonderful. I watched our game on RDS with no volume & listened to the Leaf game on TSN 1050. The joke continues. Phaneuf was called out by all the announcers & analysts for being the worst team player with giveaways & overall play. Carlye is describing the defeatist attitude of the Leafs. They're treating the puck like a hot potato no one wants. This is the most idiotic thing I've have ever witnessed as a fan. This is comic epic materiel :laugh:

Meanwhile the Habs go to 89 points with a shutout. An annoying game where we felt our way around but did good neutral zone work & it all worked out :)

This is classic. St. Louis nor did New Jersey put the knife in to the Leafs, we did. And, we put the knife in as well against the Sens. Neither team has recovered from the meltdowns. :laugh:

Great season so far. I'm lovin' this :yo:
Living in the TO area, I was listening to it as well. Man, they just BBQ'd Phaneuf over there. Just brutal listening to the analysts rip him up.
Pacioretty 9 GWG, tied for league lead
Good stuff.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
yrDdVtE.png

:laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Has anyone accepted that we're a grinding team yet?

I don't think our ES play is very reassuring. The addition of Vanek helps in more ways than once. It gives us more balance on other lines, which helps us a lot. But our play still isn't that great at ES.

We will go as far as our goalies will lead us. This is no different than how it's been over the last...I'm not sure how many years...

PricePkPatch*

I don't think our ES play is very reassuring. The addition of Vanek helps in more ways than once. It gives us more balance on other lines, which helps us a lot. But our play still isn't that great at ES.

We will go as far as our goalies will lead us. This is no different than how it's been over the last...I'm not sure how many years...

We were a darn good grinding team when we had all of Weise, Prust, White and Moen available. Say what you want, but that 4th line changed our entire team dynamics.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I was at the game and here are the things I took note of :

- Either the team was tired or completely uninterested. I'll go with tired.
- I love what Vanek brings to this team but when he's alone in the slot he needs to put da puck to da net instead of dangling through the air.
- Cory Conacher is a dumbass. Who the hell does he think he is? Must be from the Ottawa days.
- Price gave a Sabre a good right at the end. I think it was Hodgson.
- The PP was a disaster.
- The 4th line played very well.

Glad I went because we won but to be honest i'd rather drag my (Mod Edit) through a mile of broken glass than sit through this snoozefest again. Ok i'm exaggerating there but you get the idea. At least it wasn't a seat in the reds.

I think he needs to shoot more. He had some great opportunities to shoot but decided to go for the pass instead.

I was at the game... Quite the snooze-fest up until the last 10 minutes or so...

It reminded of me a Devils game :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

PricePkPatch*

I think he needs to shoot more. He had some great opportunities to shoot but decided to go for the pass instead.

Actually, think of it this way:

Vanek knows he's damn good to get rebounds. That's his bread and butter; to be in front of the net and take rebounds.

If he pass the puck for the 1st shot, he will be in a better position to take the rebound. Or do the deviation.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We were a darn good grinding team when we had all of Weise, Prust, White and Moen available. Say what you want, but that 4th line changed our entire team dynamics.

These guys were more than a grinding line, they can all be used (and have) on the 3rd line. They did more than grind it out.
In any event, our ES game wasn't that great even with them in it. It's the way we've played all season. But in the POs, depth is key. Having a solid 4th line like they brought us would help tremendously.

PricePkPatch*

These guys were more than a grinding line, they can all be used (and have) on the 3rd line. They did more than grind it out.
In any event, our ES game wasn't that great even with them in. It's the way we've played all season.

I think we have a chance in the playoffs. But only if they are healthy and on fire.

PricePkPatch*

We actually have a useful 4th line for once. I remember the days of Weber-Engqvist-Darche!

Bergevin's main objective has been to really boost down our 4th line. It has been his priority since he got the job, and his main activity has been to have a strong 4th line as well as solid bottom-pairing.

And despite a few setbacks, he's done quite a good job.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think we have a chance in the playoffs. But only if they are healthy and on fire.

Of course we have a chance, with a wide open Eastern Conference, everybody that comes in has a chance.
Depth is key for the POs, and we have some, the issue though is that our depth doesn't score all that much. That's why we'll go as far as our keepers lead us, unless, of course, our depth starts producing a lot more in the POs.
What raises some concern as well for me is that we always had Plekanec playing the key shutdown role and told him to really just worry about that aspect come PO time. So Plek's line always had that tough duty. But now with two sophomores on his wing that aren't the best shutdown players, I'd be concerned having them try to shutdown the top opponents every game.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think getting Tampa in the first round could be a blessing. It's not a big rival and there will be a load of fans in Tampa for the club.

They can go in relaxed and play their game without added pressure and I just have this feeling like Bishop is going to not play overly well. He's starting to slow down, and while Tampa is winning it's not because of him and we have Subban and Plekanec to go against Stamkos.

I like the match up tbh and feel even Therrien can keep his composure the team will come out of the series ahead.

PricePkPatch*

I am actually scared of Bishops. Since he beat us when in Ottawa, he always seems to light up against us

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

I think getting Tampa in the first round could be a blessing. It's not a big rival and there will be a load of fans in Tampa for the club.

They can go in relaxed and play their game without added pressure and I just have this feeling like Bishop is going to not play overly well. He's starting to slow down, and while Tampa is winning it's not because of him and we have Subban and Plekanec to go against Stamkos.

I like the match up tbh and feel even Therrien can keep his composure the team will come out of the series ahead.

Wonder if Subban will find a way to piss off his old friend Stamkos during the series.

habitue*

I am actually scared of Bishops. Since he beat us when in Ottawa, he always seems to light up against us

Don't be afraid by Bishop. The guy never was a #1 goalie before this season, never played that many games, never been in a Playoffs series.

Anderson is the one who beat us for Ottawa in the Series, not Bishop.

PricePkPatch*

Don't be afraid by Bishop. The guy never was a #1 goalie before this season, never played that many games, never been in a Playoffs series.

Anderson is the one who beat us for Ottawa in the Series, not Bishop.

You don't remember the 1-0 (or is it 2-1?) loss in Ottawa last year? Bishop saved something like 60 shots. And not feeble ones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad