Post-Game Talk: Habs @ Sens - Jan 16, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Andy has been great the last 10 game stretch or so.

But the guy absolutely needs to work on his positioning, so many times he will be way out of his net and leave a wide open net to shoot at ( Deharnais goal yesterday comes to mind). It's been a problem of his since he's been in the league. It just seems like many teams have studied him after a couple of good seasons and know how to beat him. Teams know that he will over-commit to the shooter (Andy expecting a shot) and then either deke or pass while Anderson is already down on his knees out of his net

I thought his positioning was great last year, but maybe that's because he came back from a summer of working with Francois Allaire.

It's definitely been an inconsistent season from Anderson this year. It's too bad that Lehner has really "stolen" the position from him. Prior to his shutout, he was looking mediocre too.

If we can get .920 goaltending consistently (like we were before this game during this stretch), this team would be a legit.

Lol at Habs fans on our boards....still struggling to grasp how Ottawa owns them.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I thought his positioning was great last year, but maybe that's because he came back from a summer of working with Francois Allaire.

It's definitely been an inconsistent season from Anderson this year. It's too bad that Lehner has really "stolen" the position from him. Prior to his shutout, he was looking mediocre too.

If we can get .920 goaltending consistently (like we were before this game during this stretch), this team would be a legit.

I think the difference was last few seasons we were playing better defensively. Andy is a good system goalie.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Just want to say that I apologise on behalf of the rational Habs fans who know who the better team was last night.

Simply put, we got lucky and there is absolutely no reason for us to be gloating after last nights win.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Just want to say that I apologise on behalf of the rational Habs fans who know who the better team was last night.

Simply put, we got lucky and there is absolutely no reason for us to be gloating after last nights win.

No worries. We had some doing the same during the playoffs.
Every team has fans like that. Toronto seems to have the most...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Goalie is part of the team.

A great performance from Price is sometimes enough to win you the two points.

Ottawa may have been extremely dominant at times but you can't say they dominated the whole game when you give up 5 goals.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The good news from last night was our speed and puck possession. Over these last number of games, our puck possession has improved dramatically, and that is what the game is all about these days. Our energy level was high, and we were moving our feet and creating chances all night. If we can keep playing like this, we will not only make the playoffs but be a very difficult out for anyone.

The bad news was Craig Anderson. That's the November Craig Anderson we just saw, never looking comfortable and giving up those ugly softies. It is just so soul destroying to play as well as we did, and not get the two points because our goaltender couldn't even be average. Mac says, "best players play", yet Lehner didn't get another start after posting a shutout against the Wild. Why is it that the "best players play" line doesn't apply to our goaltenders? Our chance for a playoff run is far better with the younger, more intense, more athletic goaltender.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The bad news was Craig Anderson. That's the November Craig Anderson we just saw, never looking comfortable and giving up those ugly softies. It is just so soul destroying to play as well as we did, and not get the two points because our goaltender couldn't even be average. Mac says, "best players play", yet Lehner didn't get another start after posting a shutout against the Wild. Why is it that the "best players play" line doesn't apply to our goaltenders? Our chance for a playoff run is far better with the younger, more intense, more athletic goaltender.

Lehner didn't have to do all that much against Minnesota.

Anderson hadn't lost in regulation in 9 games.

You can fault Craig for his uneven performance in this one, but I'm still not all that worked up about MacLean's decision to put him in.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
You don't usually give your backup the next start after a good game. I can't blame the coach for going right back to Andy. He has been an important part to this recent surge. I'm not sure what happened last night, but I'd give him another go on Saturday. Re-evaluate from there, if need be.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
So frustrating to watch that game. Really torn because the Sens absolutely dominated play except for those couple of minutes in the first when Mtl scored two, even in the third they looked good. Sens had no reason to be in the game being down 3-0 and with how Price played. Regardless they couldn't hold onto the lead and that is something really good teams do. If Price wasn't in net the Sens could have scored 8 but oh well.

Big difference between now and earlier in the year, the Sens would have given up after being down 3-0, this time they came back and were consistently better than Montreal on each shift. That is a big plus.

Like it or not but Anderson is our guy, he should play tomorrow against the Rangers. There's no point in trading him because the goalie market is very soft. Unless there are a few big injuries there return on him would be terrible.

Onwards and upwards. I think tomorrow's game is going to be a really good one. The Rangers have been generating a lot of chances/shots as have the Sens. Goaltending is going to be the difference maker tomorrow.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
What a game to be at. It's a wierd feeling sitting there down 3-0, and knowing that the Sens will come back. Too bad the outcome wasn't a little different, I thought the Sens played pretty well though all things considered.

A couple of bad bounces made the difference.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I'm sure this has been talked about a bunch, but that GWG by Subban was exactly why he was picked by team Canada

His child like buffoonery after he scored, is exactly why he will be watching from the press box. There is no way Team Canada brass will let him play if he's going to show boat and disrespect the opponents like that.

I do now feel much better about Canada's netminding. Price was amazing last night

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ole chant has nothing to do with gloating, tempting hockey gods, etc...
It's just a chant during a game. Same as go sens go.

Go Sens Go is to energize the players, if that logic applied to Ole then how come we never hear it when the Canadiens are trailing?

Edit: Didn't see TristanH' comment.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Please trade Cowen asap. Not because I think he sucks but because this fanbase simply can't appreciate that type of player. Seeing how Phillips is disrespected after playing over 1100 games in a Sens Jersey, there's absolutely no chance that Cowen ever gets respect here. The name calling is simply unacceptable. That's why this fanbase needs to learn it the hard way and see Cowen flourish somewhere else. They deserve it and need it to grow as a fanbase.

Anyone else find it funny that certain posters ONLY show up after a Sens loss?

Internet = therapy

Let's keep it at "it's less expensive than a shrink" :laugh:

Cowen was awesome for the most part, encouraged by that, and encouraged by not giving up after going down 3 and picking a point was important.

Cowen had 2 points and could have had more if Price didn't rob as many goals... Also, Andy didn't bail anyone tonight, so it makes players look bad when a simple save (like in OT) would have made the difference. We're simply not getting consistent goaltending (a bit better lately) and I'm not sure why people try to find a ton of other reasons. We have been dominating other teams for a while and I find it frustrating that (almost) all our games are that close

Just remembered something. This happened to the habs last season with Bishop in our barn. Big Ben made 44 saves and we got outshot bad 45-24 and won 2-1 in the shootout. What was also very similar is the habs threw everything at us in the first two periods and then let up in the 3rd. Anyone still remember that game? I also remember Price giving up a brutal goal to DD and Regin getting the winner in the SO.

Number of shots doesn't matter much to me. I doubt they had as many glorious chances, I don't remember seeing that in the NHL. Price made some pure robbery saves on many chances, not just a few like it happens most nights. He still gave up 4 goals, which shows how dominant the Sens were in that game. Could have easily scored a dozen goals on a goalie playing at a normal level.

Stop ignoring Petersson guys. :(

THIS.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Nice try... you are telling me they sing that damn song when they are down 4-1? ...

I don't get the problem. The Habs fans are having fun, and it's not like they are knocking on your door at home and singing it into your face. They're at the arena for Pete's sake. Thing about it this way: The majority of fans here, and probably fans in general, absolutely adored and loved the moment in the playoffs last year when Pageau scored three, and every time he stepped on the ice everyone sang the "Pageau" song. I don't see the difference. They're both gloaty, but at the same time, they're both just for fun, and they aren't going out of their way to insult your mother or something.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying and I hate it, but they aren't bad people for singing it... They're bad people for being Habs fans ;)

burf

Mar 27, 2012
No worries. We had some doing the same during the playoffs.
Every team has fans like that. Toronto seems to have the most...

Ditto Colorado fans.

It always stings a bit when your team outplays the other team and loses, but then you just have to think back to any game the Sens have played against NJ in the past few years, and you realize that these things even out. I don't think we've had one good performance against the Devils recently, but we always seem to come out with a win (mostly because of Brodeur).

The Sens transition game was absolutely fantastic last night. They looked just like they did last year in getting the puck out of the zone. That's the main difference between this years team and last years team, and having Turris-Zibanejad-Smith down the middle really seems to get us back into that same kind of groove.

I also love that we have 3 very legitimate scoring lines. Conacher-Zibanejad-Michalek still looks great - they are astounding at creating turnovers in the neutral and offensive zone, and Zibanejad has to be one of the best players in the league at gaining the zone with possession, even if they haven't had a great deal of finish in the last few games. You can't really say enough good things about the Mac-Turris-Ryan line. And while Spezza and Stone struggle a bit in the defensive zone due to their lack of initial footspeed, they're looking very dangerous offensively.

Hell, over the past little bit, even Kassian hasn't looked that out of place. Sure he's not doing anything offensively, but he also hasn't been hurting the team defensively when he's out there with Smith and Condra.

Last edited:

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
Nice try... you are telling me they sing that damn song when they are down 4-1? ...

No, we boo when the Habs are down 4-1. We sing the Ole song when we're winning.

We're not tempting hockey gods, firing up the opponent, or disrespecting the other fanbase. Just 21,273 (or however many fans there are at road games) people having fun, supporting our team. In hockey at least, it's our thing, something a little different from the generic "Go X go!"

Yea, sometimes it backfires, but that's what adds to the fun.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

We're not tempting hockey gods, firing up the opponent, or disrespecting the other fanbase. Just 21,273 (or however many fans there are at road games) people having fun, supporting our team. In hockey at least, it's our thing, something a little different from the generic "Go X go!"

Exactly.

I have no issue with any noise that the crowd makes, provided it's not overly risque or offensive because there are kids in the audience.

If it happens to fire up our team, as it appears to, all the more better.

The only thing I don't get is chanting a goalie's name when he's doing well (e.g. pitching a shutout).

Really? There's nothing to rag him about.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Hey, I never said "stop doing it". In fact, Ole to your heart's content. It's awesome being in an arena when it completely backfires because it crushes the souls of the fans who sing it as their team blows another lead.

I vividly remember them singing it a SBP and then Bobby Butler just undressing Hal Gill and scoring the game-leading goal. MINT.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you can receive 3+ Spezza passes a game you click with him.

Did you not see how easily Spezza was finding Stone last night? It was unbelievable.

Spezza actually thinks about the game at a very high level. He needs someone with an incredible hockey IQ, that understands the game like he does, to play with.

From what I've seen so far, Stone fits that bill. He release needs to be a little faster, other than that he was excellent.

It's clear that Spezza is the guy missing Alfie the most... Alfredsson was a very good 2-way forward with very high IQ, so he could play with Spezza. It's not Spezza's fault he has been forced to play with players he doesn't dit with or just aren't at the same level. Spezza needs to be the offensive force on his line but needs 2 guys who are better defensively. Stone-Spezza-Alfie would be great :cry:

Spezza-Stone need a MacArthur type, but no way we move the Mac from Turris, those 2 are a thing of beauty together

My favorite part about listening to Habs fans get bent out of shape about whatever is rustling their jimmies at the moment is when they start to try and rag on the City of Ottawa itself. Granted, most Habs fans aren't silly enough to do this, but there are a select few that somehow think that it matters.

Like: seriously? We're talking about hockey. It's the equivalent of two people talking about politics, and one guy saying to the other: "Oh YEAH? Well I have a bigger collection of BEANIE BABIES THAN YOU DO!!! Take THAT!!!"

Well, they should calm down a bit. The city of Montreal sucks in itself. If you believe it's an awesome city, it's simply because you haven't traveled a lot in your life.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
Hey, I never said "stop doing it". In fact, Ole to your heart's content. It's awesome being in an arena when it completely backfires because it crushes the souls of the fans who sing it as their team blows another lead.

I vividly remember them singing it a SBP and then Bobby Butler just undressing Hal Gill and scoring the game-leading goal. MINT.

Like I said, sometimes it backfires. More often than not (at least over the last year and a half), it hasn't. I doubt it fires up the opposing team all that much. I wouldn't be too pleased if, during a post game interview, a Hab said "I was fired up by the opposing team's fans' chants."

John Holmes*

That's weird. I think Montreal is pretty awesome and I've been everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad