Confirmed with Link: Habs Relieve Stephane Waite of his duties, Sean Burke Named Director of Goaltending

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's not what I necessarily want either but we just can't hire the best candidate, you know this. Molson is not going to upset the apple cart.
Well, that’s a whole other story. You’re definitely right on that.

And hey, maybe Roy would be great. I just don’t think he would and I think he’d make a lot of noise. We don’t need another wasted decade.

I can see him coming screaming at young players after a bad game. I just think there’s way too much downside with him.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
'Not being worse than what we have' is not what we should be shooting for.

Roy is a nutjob and he's the last thing we need here.
I believe Roy would get screened out during the interview process. He’d want full control. He’s an extremely competitive guy, and would demand the authority to hire anyone he wanted as a coach, regardless of language, so long as it meant winning. This would be a non starter for Molson.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I believe Roy would get screened out during the interview process. He’d want full control. He’s an extremely competitive guy, and would demand the authority to hire anyone he wanted as a coach, regardless of language, so long as it meant winning. This would be a non starter for Molson.

He is a competivite guy. But the bolded isn’t the reason he would demand authority. He’s full of himself and stubborn. It wouldn’t be long before he made himself bigger then the team and that’s the problem with him potentially being hired.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It was reported that MB had met with Roy when he was looking for a head coach after he was hired in 2012. But the reason MB didn't hire him was because Roy wanted more control than your typical head coach. MB wasn't willing to give his coach (let alone his first coaching hire) more control.

It was what happened in Colorado. And the reason he decided to leave the Avs before camp was because he no longer had the control he wanted.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
He is a competivite guy. But the bolded isn’t the reason he would demand authority. He’s full of himself and stubborn. It wouldn’t be long before he made himself bigger then the team and that’s the problem with him potentially being hired.
I agree with you. I can’t see him being hired for the reasons I’ve given, and you’re right about how he’d put himself ahead of the team. I just don’t see it happening at all.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
It was reported that MB had met with Roy when he was looking for a head coach after he was hired in 2012. But the reason MB didn't hire him was because Roy wanted more control than your typical head coach. MB wasn't willing to give his coach (let alone his first coaching hire) more control.

It was what happened in Colorado. And the reason he decided to leave the Avs before camp was because he no longer had the control he wanted.
100%. Those attributes would be exposed during the interview process, if it even got that far. I don’t see him being a fit with the organization and it’s current ownership.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The rumour at the time was that he was upset that the Avs didn't go after Radulov that summer, and that relates to the lack of control he had over the management decisions.

It wasn't a good look on Patrick to quit so close to the start of the brand new season. He bailed on the team, and they had to scramble to find a new coach in short order.

I don't think I've seen a coach bail on the organization at that specific time of the year before.

If you hire him, you have to give him the keys to everything, and be prepared for him bailing out if he doesn't like how things are going. I mean, we saw it in 1995, and we saw it just a few years ago in Colorado.

It's not a move I would make.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Besides Roy, who would be considered viable candidates were a change to occur?

With the habs "special requirement", the only name brand candidate is Julien Brisebois, and he's under contract with the lightning.

Aside from that, you're looking at someone with no general manager experience. I'm not sure how many French speaking management types are out there. Someone mentioned Mathieu darche who works with brisebois in tampa.

So yeah, your guess is as good as mine. The candidate list wasn't great last time when MB was hired either. I think Pierre mcguire was 2nd on their list after MB.

The candidate pool for the GM job is a chronic issue with the french requirement, and it doesn't get talked about enough.

The habs need to come up with their own development program for bilingual individuals, so that they don't get caught with their pants down everytime they need a new GM.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
With the habs "special requirement", the only name brand candidate is Julien Brisebois, and he's under contract with the lightning.

Aside from that, you're looking at someone with no general manager experience. I'm not sure how many French speaking management types are out there. Someone mentioned Mathieu darche who works with brisebois in tampa.

So yeah, your guess is as good as mine. The candidate list wasn't great last time when MB was hired either. I think Pierre mcguire was 2nd on their list after MB.

The candidate pool for the GM job is a chronic issue with the french requirement, and it doesn't get talked about enough.

The habs need to come up with their own development program for bilingual individuals, so that they don't get caught with their pants down everytime they need a new GM.

Madden is in the league since a longtime and he would be a good candidate even if he wouldn’t speak french

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I could have saved them a bunch of money by telling numbnuts to ditch the red pads. Is there anyone in this organization that thought that was a good idea and the science behind pad colors? Are they all stupid?

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Pierre McGuire would be fun...

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I could have saved them a bunch of money by telling numbnuts to ditch the red pads. Is there anyone in this organization that thought that was a good idea and the science behind pad colors? Are they all stupid?

I remembered when Patrick Roy wore those elegant white pads with the Habs, he was an excellent goalie back then. Then for some obscure reason he started wearing blue-red pads. That season was 1992-93. He sucked so much that season, you wouldn't believe it!

Reactions: Habs

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I remembered when Patrick Roy wore those elegant white pads with the Habs, he was an excellent goalie back then. Then for some obscure reason he started wearing blue-red pads. That season was 1992-93. He sucked so much that season, you wouldn't believe it!

Well, he did lose his first game that year to the Ottawa Senators in their inaugural regular season game...:laugh:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Well, he did lose his first game that year to the Ottawa Senators in their inaugural regular season game...:laugh:

I remember being so annoyed at that game! I it was the beginning of grade 9 for me. Season ended much better of course.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pull Larry Robinson out of wherever he's working now...would help us a ton...

I don't think he has any management experience, and he's probably prefers to scale back at this time of his life.

Also, Robinson got burned out while he was head coach in a place like new Jersey (or at least I think it was jersey), so I don't think he would be suited for the montreal spotlight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad