Confirmed with Link: Habs Relieve Stephane Waite of his duties, Sean Burke Named Director of Goaltending

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I read some speculative rumor thing that suggested that Patrick Roy is going to be the guy once Bergevin gets the boot.
Habs have to decide what they are gonna do with Patrick Roy. They take him or they have him in their face when the Nordiques comes back. Roy is a true warrior, a true winner, have a lot of mental strenght. He was a real elite player who knew real elite players when he played with Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Hejduk, Gainey, Robinson, Chelios, Smith, Naslund, etc. He knows what excellence is and he will expect excellence around him, from the equipment guy to the number one center. But he can be a monster too, tough decision. Should Molson hire him, you ask me and I can't tell you, I'm 50-50%.

Reactions: abo9

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs have to decide what they are gonna do with Patrick Roy. They take him or they have him in their face when the Nordiques comes back. Roy is a true warrior, a true winner, have a lot of mental strenght. He was a real elite player who knew real elite players when he played with Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Hejduk, Gainey, Robinson, Chelios, Smith, Naslund, etc. He knows what excellence is and he will expect excellence around him, from the equipment guy to the number one center. But he can be a monster too, tough decision. Should Molson hire him, you ask me and I can't tell you, I'm 50-50%.
Nords will never come back, unless the league goes belly up and shuts down most US franchises. The NHL is an American run league now, there’s zero corporate revenue growth potential in Quebec City, and TV revenue generation has a fixed base of 7M population would only be splitting revenues with Habs not growing the pie

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why would you say that? He can't possibly be worse than what we currently have and he is a local guy/hero. The last time we had a former star player running the team was the last time we were actually relevant. Who is else is there? Stephane Quintal?

The guy that should have been GM is fresh off a cup win in Tampa and there is no way that he is leaving there to come and fix Bergevins demolition job. I bet that it will be Roy.
It’s constantly going back to Les Boys hockey mentality that keeps this org spinning it’s wheels. Need to find a new age GM, can’t believe the Leafs have left the Habs in the dust in being creative & forward thinking..

Reactions: McTusk

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

We can't continue on as we are. Everything is coming unglued right now, right from the anthem singers to the goalie coach. MB is really cracking right now, he has aged 20 years in the last 2 months, he should be fired today based on, well, everything.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It’s constantly going back to Les Boys hockey mentality that keeps this org spinning it’s wheels. Need to find a new age GM, can’t believe the Leafs have left the Habs in the dust in being creative & forward thinking..
Hey man, I have mentioned/talked about this to the point of no return but it's not going to happen. I have accepted that and it is what it is. We have to have a French GM and coach, so who is available? Quintal? Damphousse? Roy.....who else is available and meets the criteria?

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Economic powerhouses in society have moved from hard labor relics of industrial revolution to cranial capacity of digital age, yet Habs need to go back to relics of the glory years to help them in the new age?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hey man, I have mentioned/talked about this to the point of no return but it's not going to happen. I have accepted that and it is what it is. We have to have a French GM and coach, so who is available? Quintal? Damphousse? Roy.....who else is available and meets the criteria?
And what there are no other educated & cranial Francophone types like Brisebois? Also why does it have to be one GM, why can’t it be a GM by committee and allow the Communications person to wait for it....”communicate” to the public/media ? There needs to be some out of the box thinking...times come for this org

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I was commenting about Allen when Sal said he was 0-1-3 in his last 4. Just wanted to point out it wasn’t because he played bad and in fact, was one of the best players on the ice for those games and a big reason we got points at all. Price is an entirely different topic. He’s obviously struggling big time and having Allen is saving our season at this point. If we had any of the backups we’ve had in past years, we’d likely be in or around the basement this year.

Saving the season is a stretch. The guy IS playing well but he only got 2 wins in his last 7 starts.
Overall the Habs have 4 wins and 5 losses with Allen and 6 wins 7 losses with Price. PTS% is .611 for Allen and .577 for Price.

Statically Allen is already seeing the effect of getting used more often, he went from .940 to .921 in the span of 4 games. Again Allen is playing well, he is just another victim of playing behind a team prone to ridiculous and costly mistakes in their own zone.

Last 4 starts:
Allen: .898 (0-1-3)
Price: .877 (1-2-1)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And what there are no other educated & cranial Francophone types like Brisebois? Also why does it have to be one GM, why can’t it be a GM by committee and allow the Communications person to wait for it....”communicate” to the public/media ? There needs to be some out of the box thinking...times come for this org
I don't know if there more Brisebois types, you tell me. I agree as well that we need the best available people regardless of origin but it is not going to happen.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Saving the season is a stretch. The guy IS playing well but he only got 2 wins in his last 7 starts.
Overall the Habs have 4 wins and 5 losses with Allen and 6 wins 7 losses with Price. PTS% is .611 for Allen and .577 for Price.

Statically Allen is already seeing the effect of getting used more often, he went from .940 to .921 in the span of 4 games. Again Allen is playing well, he is just another victim of playing behind a team prone to ridiculous and costly mistakes in their own zone.

Last 4 starts:
Thx - That was my point, Allen’s track record clearly shows his performance starts to drop sharply if used more than 35% of games - he played behind a very strong D focused group & system in STL yet consistently put up that trend.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Habs management are affraid of Roy. Damphousse doesn't want the job I guess so it leaves Quintal on your list. There is a few nhl agents speaking french and a lot of LHMJQ managers. Maybe I forget someone, Bobby Smith and Larry Robinson might be good too.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Darche and Brodeur.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
What a huge mistake his hiring was. He came in at a critical time and gummed everything up. Day one he hires a terrible coach. Day two he ignores Jagr and gets Bouillion and a bunch of scrubs... just brutal.
He even ignored Robinson who wanted to coach our D only to hire of J.J Daigneault.

He operated a foxhole and country club for his buddies for so long and it's finally catching up to him!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know if there more Brisebois types, you tell me. I agree as well that we need the best available people regardless of origin but it is not going to happen.
Emilie Castonguay (Lafreniere’s agent) is young & bright, why hasn’t the org approached to bring her on board..very similar background to Brisebois. You build a committee consisting of the likes of Castonguay (contracts), Jocelyn Thibeault, Mike Futa with Scotty as senior advisor to owner (Yoda role - de facto Prez), and run with it.

What sage wisdom for society has any GM provided at a PC?

Out of the box thinking....

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We can't continue on as we are. Everything is coming unglued right now, right from the anthem singers to the goalie coach. MB is really cracking right now, he has aged 20 years in the last 2 months, he should be fired today based on, well, everything.
So true that he looks older suddently. He should cut his hair, use some expensive skin cream and have some sleep. He looks like he didn't sleep in the last 4 months. For his own sake, he should be fired.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Emilie Castonguay (Lafreniere’s agent) is young & bright, why hasn’t the org approached to bring her on board..very similar background to Brisebois. You build a committee consisting of the likes of Castonguay (contracts), Jocelyn Thibeault, Mike Futa and run with it.

What sage wisdom for society has any GM provided at a PC?
Well, that's a very progressive approach that just might work, I am all for it. I am still betting on Roy though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Last 4 starts:
Imagine we had Lindgren or Kincaid or Niemi in nets in stead of Allen. How many games would they have won and points would we have bs where we are now? Take away just 3 wins and we’re barely above Ottawa and I think that’s generous given Allen has been one of the league’s best statistical goalies this year.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Thanks for posting this. I did saw during the games that he was trying to do too much, looked like he did not trust his players. Eg. trying to block passes, playing deep in his net, over pushing etc.

The last part about Price not being 100% healthy still is super worrying though especially with the lenght of his contract. I love Price and am a big defender of him, but you can't defend a "stiff" goalie and a guy who's "playing with pain". Unfortunately I can't see him being successful in those conditions - and would that be his fault?

"He can play two, three, four games in a row, but we have to take care of his body because he’s had a history with his knees, his hips, his back. Unfortunately for Carey, that’s a reality now at his age"
"He’s not 100 per cent, but he can play,” Waite said. “He’s not hurt but he has some stiffness. He has to learn to play with the pain"

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So true that he looks older suddently. He should cut his hair, use some expensive skin cream and have some sleep. He looks like he didn't sleep in the last 4 months. For his own sake, he should be fired.
Personally, I am okay with seeing him hit rock bottom, he has sunk this team to the bottom of the league all while being a smug, arrogant asshole, he deserves everything that is coming his way.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Personally, I am okay with seeing him hit rock bottom, he has sunk this team to the bottom of the league all while being a smug, arrogant asshole, he deserves everything that is coming his way.
Woah....easy there with the exaggeration 2 behind Edm w 3-games in hand, 2-up on Cgy w 2-games in hand.

This team is far far from being “bottom of the league”. Even now it’ll be a complete shocker of this team isn’t top-3 in the division, let alone miss the playoffs

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Woah....easy there with the exaggeration 2 behind Edm w 3-games in hand, 2-up on Cgy w 2-games in hand.

This team is far far from being “bottom of the league”. Even now it’ll be a complete shocker of this team isn’t top-3 in the division, let alone miss the playoffs

That shows you how bad the North Division is. That's the problem, we are playing in an echo chamber that is making our team look better than it actually is. If we were playing in our regular division we would be close to dead last.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That shows you how bad the North Division is. That's the problem, we are playing in an echo chamber that is making our team look better than it actually is. If we were playing in our regular division we would be close to dead last.
Not sure if you’ve watched many games from the other divisions? North has a significant concentration of elite players, what’s the excuse for the other divisions?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Imagine we had Lindgren or Kincaid or Niemi in nets in stead of Allen. How many games would they have won and points would we have bs where we are now? Take away just 3 wins and we’re barely above Ottawa and I think that’s generous given Allen has been one of the league’s best statistical goalies this year.

Yet Niemi performed REALLY well his first year in Montreal. Goaltending is a lot about being confident and mentally ready. My hypothesis is that Montreal's a goalie coming from a good team will look good because they're confident and used to win. Until they don't win, then second-guess their approach, and then second-guessing the team in front of them, which is when you start to see their stats decline rapidly to oblivion.

Because as a goalie, if you don't trust your D to cover the man on the opposite side of the ice, you might subconsciously cheat and leave a little opening for the shooter, hoping that he passes and you can make that tough cross-crease save. And when the guys are open all around your crease, you might play deeper in your net to avoid them deflecting the puck in an empty net, leaving a lot of space to a point shooter. And when they're behind the net, you try to block the passes instead of the shots because you know that if they get that one-timer in, you might make the first save and the second and the third, but eventually that puck goes in. If you block the pass the play never happens - but if you miss it you're slow on the one-timer.

My bad I went on a bit of a rant in the last paragraph but yeah TLDR Montreal goalies learn to not trust their D and end up playing worst as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad