Habs prospects - Final ranking

Where does the habs prospect pool rank in the league?

• Total voters

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
We desperately need 1st line talent in the prospect pool. Hopefully K turns into that but nobody else projects as top liners.
Getting Hughes would make this look much prettier though!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would rank Suzuki ahead of Poehling and behind Kotkaniemi

I have Suzuki equal to Poehling. Poehling gets a lower value cause he plays a 200' NCAA game playing with men and it's not right. The guy is a complete hockey player and plays center. Kotkaniemi and Suzuki played wing last year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is much more skilled.

Correct. But Poehling is the more complete hockey player. I value all assets. Not just skill. You can put a skilled winger with Poehling and he can keep up cause his skill is not below average. If Poehling was playing in the OHL, I bet you he puts us solid numbers offensively.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Suzuki slots in nicely at 2nd over Poehling and Ylonen and not too far behind Kotkaniemi. I had us at middle of the pack(16th), he brings us closer to top 10 territory, if not in it.

Reactions: Andrei79

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Correct. But Poehling is the more complete hockey player. I value all assets. Not just skill. You can put a skilled winger with Poehling and he can keep up cause his skill is not below average. If Poehling was playing in the OHL, I bet you he puts us solid numbers offensively.

Not by a lot though, Suzuki plays a complete game just lacks the physical tools that Poehling has. He's a good bit better of a prospect imo then Poehling and I like Poehling a lot, just not a big fan of his skill level. Poehling would likely never come close to putting up almost 100 pts as a 17 year old.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not by a lot though, Suzuki plays a complete game just lacks the physical tools that Poehling has. He's a good bit better of a prospect imo then Poehling and I like Poehling a lot, just not a big fan of his skill level. Poehling would likely never come close to putting up almost 100 pts as a 17 year old.

This is how I see it at this point but we need another year to evaluate further.... Scale of 1-10 evaluation

Suzuki:
- Size and toughness factor (6 or 7)
- Skill (8 or 9)
- Skating (not sure but I assume is well above average... 8 or 9?)
- Overall 200' game (7). He can get pushed around in his own end

Poehling
- Size and toughness factor (8 or 9)
- Skill (6 or 7)
- Skating (7 or 8)
- Overall 200' game (8 or 9). He gained some muscle last off season and it showed.

Just depends what you value more. Of course anybody can comment on my evaluations and feel free. I don't believe I am far off. When I factor in everything, I have these two as equal prospects in value. Suzuki has to use his skill and not get pushed around when he turns pro. Poehling already has a NHL body. We have seen so many times where skilled junior players struggle when there is less time and space and they play against better overall competition and physical players. Not saying this happens to Suzuki but I'm not overlooking it either

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is how I see it at this point but we need another year to evaluate further.... Scale of 1-10 evaluation

Suzuki:
- Size and toughness factor (6 or 7)
- Skill (8 or 9)
- Skating (not sure but I assume is well above average... 8 or 9?)
- Overall 200' game (7). He can get pushed around in his own end

Poehling
- Size and toughness factor (8 or 9)
- Skill (6 or 7)
- Skating (7 or 8)
- Overall 200' game (8 or 9). He gained some muscle last off season and it showed.

Just depends what you value more. Of course anybody can comment on my evaluations and feel free. I don't believe I am far off. When I factor in everything, I have these two as equal prospects in value. Suzuki has to use his skill and not get pushed around when he turns pro. Poehling already has a NHL body. We have seen so many times where skilled junior players struggle when there is less time and space and they play against better overall competition and physical players. Not saying this happens to Suzuki but I'm not overlooking it either

Suzuki's skill I'd say a 9, but skating more a 7 but I haven't seen him in a year.

Poehling is a safe bet to be an NHLer but looks more of a 3rd liner unless his offensive game takes another level higher. Suzuki has 1st line upside but questions about his skating/speed/size.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki's skill I'd say a 9, but skating more a 7 but I haven't seen him in a year.

Poehling is a safe bet to be an NHLer but looks more of a 3rd liner unless his offensive game takes another level higher. Suzuki has 1st line upside but questions about his skating/speed/size.

Understood. You value the skill upside. Based on our previous prospect pool for various years, I am not surprised. It's nice to see the skill added to our group. Lets just be happy we have both players

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Suzuki slots in nicely at 2nd over Poehling and Ylonen and not too far behind Kotkaniemi. I had us at middle of the pack(16th), he brings us closer to top 10 territory, if not in it.
Suzuki. I’ll rank a potential top-6 C ahead of a potential middle-6 C 10 times out of 10.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Suzuki. I’ll rank a potential top-6 C ahead of a potential middle-6 C 10 times out of 10.
tenor.gif

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki

that could be a hell of a line in the near future.....can't think of a good nickname for that line yet.

The best I came up with was the SPOK line. Live long and prosper.
Or the KOPS line. Bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad