Habs prospects - Final ranking

Where does the habs prospect pool rank in the league?

• Total voters

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote. Here is the final ranking of your votes:

1. Jesperi Kotkaniemi (C)
2. Ryan Poehling (C)
3. Victor Mete (D)
4. Noah Juulsen (D)
5. Jesse Ylönen (RW)
6. Josh Brook (D)
7. Cayden Primeau (G)
8. Jacob Olofsson (F)
9. Cale Fleury (D)
10. Jake Evans (C/RW)
11. Charlie Lindgren (G)
12. Joni Ikonen (C/RW)
13. Alexander S. Romanov (D)
14. Cameron Hillis (C)
15. Cole Fonstad (F)
16. Allan McShane (C)
17. William Bitten (RW/C)
18. Lukas Vejdemo (C/W)
19. Michael McNiven (G)
20. Jordan Harris (D)
21. Jarret Tyszka (D)
22. Brett Lernout (D)
23. Jack Gorniak (F)
24. Rinat Valiyev (D)
25. Jeremiah Addison (LW)
26. Scott Walford (D)
27. Kerby Rychel (LW)
28. Michal Moravcik (D)
29. Alexandre Alain (C/RW)
30. Hayden Verbeek (C/LW)
31. Brett Stapley (C)
32. David Sklenicka (D)
33. Daniel Audette (C)
34. Samuel Houde (C)
35. Michael Pezzetta (F)
36. Antoine Waked (RW)
37. Arvid Henrikson (D)
38. Nikolas Koberstein (D)

Controversial omission: Scherbak - should have been included based on HF's definition of a prospect, I left him out due to him being on a one way contract next year, so technically graduated. You can insert him your personal list if you'd like.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Somewhere between 11-20. Voted 11-15. I'll have a better idea after camp.

I voted the same. I had the Habs in the middle of the pack last season (12-18 range) and I think it got a bit better after the last draft. Will be interesting to see how some of our guys in the top 10 do this season.

Lot of focus that the Habs don't have elite level prospects. This is true but so do a large % of teams in the league. Habs are in the fringe of the top 1/3 in rankings to top 1/2 rankings somewhere IMO.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Middle of the pack. Should be top ten after we get rekt this year and accumulate picks from Patches etc.

Samuel Houde and Pezzetta are too high.

Reactions: CapSpace

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You think they are worse than Waked, Henrikson and Koberstein?

Yep, in the case of Houde his value as a player multiplied by the position where he was selected makes him a candidate for the bottom. Waked was a signing so it was a free kick in the ass.

Pezzetta being selected over Sokolov from the same team means he also deserved to be in the bottom.

While Koberstein and Henrikson also such (and Koberstein also taken too high) they are defenceman and by that measure their positional worth puts them over the wingers.

I'm also being a sensationalist against the two picks I've hated the most in recent years.

Reactions: CapSpace

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ranking them in the 11-15 range. Hard to say since I just woke up and didn't go through all the teams and not sure who graduated from prospect to full-time, thus my opinion is based on intrinsic data.

I do feel we improved immensely though, regardless of everyone else. Even if we were around 15th to 20th right now, this past draft alone is enough I think for us to move up at least 10 to 12 spots relative to the league since I would have put us near the bottom before June.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I think it's arguably around the 8 to 12 range.
Look at other teams prospects list a d ours. We got the elite C and one very deep pool which many teams lack.

Next year we should be top 5 assuming we dont get f***ed by the lottery.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd have to look at other teams but would guess somewhere around 15-20 maybe. Not a good pool but lots of depth and question marks. we have a major lack of high upside/1st line/pairing prospects. Kotka I like a lot as you should with a 3rd OA and I think Poehling is a lock to play in the NHL and I might be the biggest Brook fan on this site so clearly I like him a lot. With Ylonen, Mete, Juulsen, that gives you a solid top 6 for sure.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I think we may be middle of the pack, no clear game-breaking talent, perhaps Kotka, if everything, -everything-, aligns perfectly for him and us (and I also really like Brook @montreal you're not alone on that, may be a hidden gem), but a lot of depth and potential surprises.

And finally, a lot of centers.

All we need now are 1 or 2 top talents in the next 2 seasons, and we'll climb into the top 10, maybe even top 5.

Cause yeah, I hope we suck for the next 2 seasons, for the good of the team.

Reactions: montreal

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
21-25 only because nobody really sticks out for me yet. That’s a pretty uneducated guess though admittedly as I haven’t looked at the prospect pool of every team and I’m not putting much weight on the last draft yet as I haven’t had time to see most of the new draftees play.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I said 6-10 because if we aren't, meaning we don't get at least 4 top players out of this bunch, then we are sunk. And TT is behind on selecting top players, so has catching up to do.

Let's hope the Habs actually try to develop these guys properly and instill them with confidence for a change.

Reactions: Wats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I said 6-10 because if we aren't, meaning we don't get at least 4 top players out of this bunch, then we are sunk. And TT is behind on selecting top players, so has catching up to do.

Let's hope the Habs actually try to develop these guys properly and instill them with confidence for a change.

In order to go from a weak prospect pool to a top 10 pool, this summers draft would need to be outstanding to move us up that much imo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
thats a very deep prospects pool IMO, lack of top end talents but still pretty deep...

We have to hope Kotkaniemi is a top end talent, our only lottery pick, that hasn't been traded, since Price. (crazy how we probably lost on all 3 of the McDonagh, Glachenyuk, and Sergachev trades, not to mention Subban). I'm in favor of letting Timmins draft and not trading any of his picks away.

And hopefully Timmins found gems in Poehling, Mete, Juulsen, Ylonen, Olofsen, Romanov, Brook, Ikonen, Fleury or Primeau.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Made some progress but there's still some work left.

These past two drafts have brought us back to middle of the pack.
2019 and 2020 crops look specially strong at the top end, two more years picking high and we should be looking at one of the top pools in the league.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
This will take a while. Not enough, if any top end talent and Kotkaniemi seems the only one with that potential. It would be huge if Primeau keeps improving.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->