Proposal: Habs-Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not a bad deal. However, Pittsburgh probably wants to hold onto Guentzel. He's a playoff beast. And, they do not need Petry when they already have enough RD.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Not a chance Pittsburgh does that deal. I hope Chicago or someone trades for Pacioretty to end the speculation to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: BillPrep

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Pens now have to trade Petry for an LD to replace Maatta, need to dump Hagelin for capspace and then have to trade Pacioretty next year to keep Kessel.

Pens get older, worse and are forced to make multiple extra trades.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Pitt rather keep their guys. This seems more like a trade for the sake of making a trade in their POV. Cap doesn't work either

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Holy god the Penguins get reamed in this deal. They're giving up the most valuable player in the deal and adding a ton of cap, this is terrible. I'm pretty sure each of the assets the Penguins give up is more valuable than the corresponding Habs player, the only exception might be Armia vs Sprong. Maatta is definitely more valuable than Petry and Guentzel is definitely more value than Pacioretty, even with an extension.

Reactions: 99664987

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I thought that the Habs and Pacioretty were not going to negotiate a contract? Has that changed? Was it not true?

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Bad for Pittsburg, very lateral and don't do anything for Mtl either.

From Pitts POV, they give 3 younger "version" of the 3 players you want them to trade (not necessarily the same style of play but a LW, a RW and a D). And Petry is the last thing they need (except if they trade one of Letang or Schultz.)

For MTL, when/if Patches and Petry are traded, this is almost certainly in separate trades and each for a package of future assets. I'm not saying the value isn't there, it just make little sense.

That's the kind of trade people do in video games (or at least try), not in real life.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I can't and don't want to imagine that the Habs will ship Pac/Petry as a part of a 'hockey trade'

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Armia, signed Pacioretty, & Petry for Sprong, Guentzel, & Maatta

Pens get a consistent 30 goal scorer. Armia is a nice spark plug too. Guentzel will add youth to the rebuild in Montreal.

Thoughts?

Guentzel and Sprong make 1.5mil combined. Guentzel is proven, Sprong has loads of sniper potential.

Guentzel plays LW, Sprong plays RW.

Pens have Crosby, Malkin and Brassard as their top 3 C's.

Guentzel and Sprong ain't going anywhere.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Guentzel is basically a much younger Pacioretty thats cheaper, not an upcoming UFA, and a playoffs beast (as opposed to playoffs non-show in Pacs case). Pittsburgh also adds a ton of salary they probably cant even fit and swap a promising prospect in Sprong for a 3rd line journeyman.

This is ugly.

How are the habs beggars?

Because the team is complete trash ?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Armia, signed Pacioretty, & Petry for Sprong, Guentzel, & Maatta

Pens get a consistent 30 goal scorer. Armia is a nice spark plug too. Guentzel will add youth to the rebuild in Montreal.

Thoughts?

LOL...

First off, JR wouldn't even give you Jake Guentzel for that package let alone entertain ever moving him to the Habs. The Habs literally have no single player or package of players that would be worth the Pens losing Guentzel for, if you are struggling to understand or accept that, understand that Guentzel is worth a ton to the Penguins and is arguably THE BEST young playoff performer currently in the NHL, period.

Then you want Sprong on top of it and Maatta for a rental, a depth forward, and another high priced defenseman that would be wasted on the 3rd pairing?

Is that you Marc Bergevin? Get off the net, fix your trash of a team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Missing a #1 C and a top 4 LHD = Being complete trash

I would say they are also out a legit #2C and a mediocre set of #3 and #4 C's. Also, a lot of issues on defense without Weber and Weber hasn't exactly lit the NHL ablaze in a while, Price has come down and is past that dominance phase.

Then you have a coach that likely should have made his way to being a GM because as a coach, he's just done.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I would say they are also out a legit #2C and a mediocre set of #3 and #4 C's. Also, a lot of issues on defense without Weber and Weber hasn't exactly lit the NHL ablaze in a while, Price has come down and is past that dominance phase.

Then you have a coach that likely should have made his way to being a GM because as a coach, he's just done.

Put a real #1 C on that team, and Drouin could become a decent #2 (if he doesn't have the pressure of being the #1). Danault is a great #3, and Plekanec/DLR/Peca as a #4 isn't bad at all. They are playing all the C 1 or 2 spot too high, but that's not true that the bottom 6 C are mediocre. Even if they need a #1 and #2 C, it's not like every players are bad, there's a lot of bright spot. It's only that bad because those are big holes.

For Weber, I think he's still a 40/50 pts D, but until he play full time again, it's hard to argue. If he's here, Weber-?, Petry-Mete and Juulsen-Alzner is not a bad defense.

For Price, he had a down year so maybe he's over, maybe not. It's pretty soon to say that he's over with his dominance phase.

Not saying the team is great, but I think that "complete trash" is an over reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad