Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
What would the sharks want for Eklund? Would something around 2 1sts, say the WPG and the worst of the MtL or cgy pick next year + say struble get it done? Scratch that I know it wouldn’t but would the fit be there between the two.

Thinking if sharks get 1st and get macklin + smith could be a good fit on both sides as Montreal could trade from depth (defense) for an excess on SJ

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
What would the sharks want for Eklund? Would something around 2 1sts, say the WPG and the worst of the MtL or cgy pick next year + say struble get it done? Scratch that I know it wouldn’t but would the fit be there between the two.

Thinking if sharks get 1st and get macklin + smith could be a good fit on both sides as Montreal could trade from depth (defense) for an excess on SJ
Eklund could always move to wing. Not sure they’d move him for lower first round picks.
Would probably have to be quality for quality trade.

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Eklund could always move to wing. Not sure they’d move him for lower first round picks.
Would probably have to be quality for quality trade.
Would defense be a need for sj, I swear I used to have more knowledge of other teams pools but now it’s a mess.

Actually this could be interesting what about a trade up scenario for the sharks,

pens pick + Elkins
For
Habs pick + wpg pick

Move up 5-7 slots and get another first for eklund

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Would defense be a need for sj, I swear I used to have more knowledge of other teams pools but now it’s a mess.

Actually this could be interesting what about a trade up scenario for the sharks,

pens pick + Elkins
For
Habs pick + wpg pick

Move up 5-7 slots and get another first for eklund
I’ll leave that for San Jose fans to go from. My guess is even if they don’t get Pittsburgh first this year (top 10 protection) I think they’ll roll with Pitt potentially not being good next year to cash in on that.
Maybe start a value or a proposal or eklund thread. My guess is their ask will be high.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
2nd would probably pry Barron out of Montreal, IMO. He will be eligible for waivers soon and i think he fell in the hierarchy of RD in Montreal; it'd suck to lose him for nothing.

I think he will have a career in the NHL, but he hasnt shown me anything that makes me think he can overtake matheson or is has more to offer than hutson in terms of OFD responsibilities.

I'd much rather trade a prospect for him. Is there any interest in discussing players like Colton Dach?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
2nd would probably pry Barron out of Montreal, IMO. He will be eligible for waivers soon and i think he fell in the hierarchy of RD in Montreal; it'd suck to lose him for nothing.

I think he will have a career in the NHL, but he hasnt shown me anything that makes me think he can overtake matheson or is has more to offer than hutson in terms of OFD responsibilities.

I'd much rather trade a prospect for him. Is there any interest in discussing players like Colton Dach?
Can’t imagine the hawks looking to move Colton

Reactions: Gaud

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It's hard to find the right fit.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Most of the time, trying to speed up a rebuild causes the rebuild to stall or short circuit.

Hold on to your young assets and picks.
We spent 2x 1st (#13 and #30) as well as a early 2nd (#36) over the last two draft to speed up the rebuild by acquiring Dach and Newhook and Hughes is on record saying he would like to find another deal like this one at the draft

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think they will do much.

Dach is going to feel like a big add next year. Their crop of dmen are still very young as a unit, and they will continue to allow them to grow.

Eventually, I think they might trade some of that defense for some forward help, but I don't think the timing is right for any "acceleration". Remember its only been a couple years since this rebuild actually started.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We spent 2x 1st (#13 and #30) as well as a early 2nd (#36) over the last two draft to speed up the rebuild by acquiring Dach and Newhook and Hughes is on record saying he would like to find another deal like this one at the draft

I see what you mean, but to me, "speed up the rebuild" means let's start breaking the bank and acquire some guy who is 28 years and in the prime of his career

When Hughes trades picks for other guys who are still puppies, I see that more as using their seeds for another developing player that they like. I guess it speeds up the build to a certain extent but it's still a "future for future" deal at its core.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
But most people don't see this as speeding up the rebuild, and therefore dunk the idea without reading any of the thread....

Keep in mind though, Romanov for (effectively) Dach actually made Montreal younger.

Reactions: viceroy

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I see what you mean, but to me, "speed up the rebuild" means let's start breaking the bank and acquire some guy who is 28 years and in the prime of his career

When Hughes trades picks for other guys who are still puppies, I see that more as using their seeds for another developing player that they like. I guess it speeds up the build to a certain extent but it's still a "future for future" deal at its core.

What you're describing sounds more like trying to skip the rebuild process entirely and buying a finished product instead.

Trading a mid/late 1st round draft pick that was acquired for a rental at the TDL for a 22 year old RFA coming off his ELC who is at least NHL ready speeds things up by about 3 or 4 years, and removes a lot of the uncertainty about what you're getting. You probably won't get a superstar this way, but you should at least get someone who is at least NHL capable, and you can hopefully get a superstar with one of your own picks in the top 5.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
But most people don't see this as speeding up the rebuild, and therefore dunk the idea without reading any of the thread....

Keep in mind though, Romanov for (effectively) Dach actually made Montreal younger.

While I agree that it's 3-4 years faster and much safer to trade for a NHL ready RFA than wait for a mid/late 1st pick to hopefully become something useful, I would probably also say that it's not really "speeding up the rebuild" so much as just "rebuilding".

Reactions: viceroy

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Toronto is what can happen when a team speeds up what could have been a productive rebuild.

Build a contender, not a pretender.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Rushing through the rebuild means retooling.
Habs fans want a rebuild but once we start they have no patience for one.

Realistically, rebuilds take at least 5 years. Should be 2 more years at the bottom after this season.

I would be OK with trading Winnipeg first for a decent young player but our 1st is absolutely a no go (unless it's a massive overpayment). I would also be ok trading out surplus of D-man for more picks instead of forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad