Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs should be good team next year. How about offer sheet Necas? Around 6 million. Same as Kotkaniemi .Give up late first. Canes sure to match.

Circle back offer sheet Jarvis. They can't keep both. Montreal has 2 first next 2 drafts. We can spend one of them.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Habs should be good team next year. How about offer sheet Necas? Around 6 million. Same as Kotkaniemi .Give up late first. Canes sure to match.

Circle back offer sheet Jarvis. They can't keep both. Montreal has 2 first next 2 drafts. We can spend one of them.
You can't choose which one to spend, though. For an offer sheet, it will have to be Montreal's own picks for the next year.

Reactions: viceroy

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

If either signs a deal for $6 million aav the canes match easily.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You can't choose which one to spend, though. For an offer sheet, it will have to be Montreal's own picks for the next year.
I well know. with Dach back, adding Necas or Jarvis. Plus Hutson and Reinbacher getting close Habs be playoff position next year. That pick be 20th or so.

Pay Carolina back for Kotkaniemi fiasco

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal needs to move Brendan Gallagher, Josh Anderson and Christian Dvorak.

Way too much money tied up to 3rd line production.

Once those guys are gone, thats when the rebuild kicks in to another gear.

IMHO
Wishful thinking... Dvorak might get moved at the 2025 deadline, none of the other 2 would be movable. Habs are going to have to live with them until end of contract, buyout, LTIR or trade them for equally bad deals hoping a change of scenery helps.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What about a bottom 6 center born in Ottawa for future considerations? He even has a French name.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
- Any prospect not named Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Beck, Mesar
Which of other our prospects has the tangible market value that could garner us the level of young player that would materially speed up our re-build?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

IMHO

you aren't wrong necessarily but there is nearly 6 million off the books this summer and the cap going up. Summer of 2025 its another 7 million-ish off the books. Most the of UFAs in the next 2 years will likely be replaced by younger cheaper guys.

They will have room to add guys if they want.

I well know. with Dach back, adding Necas or Jarvis. Plus Hutson and Reinbacher getting close Habs be playoff position next year. That pick be 20th or so.

Pay Carolina back for Kotkaniemi fiasco
Neither of them are close to NHL ready and adding Necas doesn't make them a playoff team.

You are talking about paying Carolina back??? you could very well gift them a lottery pick.....

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Which of other our prospects has the tangible market value that could garner us the level of young player that would materially speed up our re-build?

Barron I think is a good gamble, for a team that lack RHD prospects
He has already all the tools to be a NHL player, but IMO he didn't have the talent to put him above either Renbacher or Mailloux in our depth chart
Maybe an another team could give him a shot, and who knows what he could turn out to be

Both Farrell and Heineman are in similar situation IMO

Those ain't our best prospects, but we're at the end or our rebuild, so those, we're obviously keeping them

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
you aren't wrong necessarily but there is nearly 6 million off the books this summer and the cap going up. Summer of 2025 its another 7 million-ish off the books. Most the of UFAs in the next 2 years will likely be replaced by younger cheaper guys.

They will have room to add guys if they want.

Neither of them are close to NHL ready and adding Necas doesn't make them a playoff team.

You are talking about paying Carolina back??? you could very well gift them a lottery pick.....
They both be here sometime next season. If not to start season.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

IMHO
Nah. Cap space shouldn't be an issue for next season and then Dvorak will be gone after that. Gallagher buyout could happen at that time too (contract is untradeable), and Anderson, while overpaid, can be a useful player still (you can explore trade and try to move him but it's not an anchor that you have to get rid of).

What they need next season is avoid devastating injuries (see Dach), their young prospects to keep developing and taking next steps (like Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Roy, 1st pick this year), then make a better assessment of what exactly you have, and then try to make a splash in 2025 summer with all the cap space.

I'm sure they will be looking for a Dach/Newhook type of trade if one pops up and makes sense, but it's not a thing they need to do.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Barron I think is a good gamble, for a team that lack RHD prospects
He has already all the tools to be a NHL player, but IMO he didn't have the talent to put him above either Renbacher or Mailloux in our depth chart
Maybe an another team could give him a shot, and who knows what he could turn out to be

Both Farrell and Heineman are in similar situation IMO

Those ain't our best prospects, but we're at the end or our rebuild, so those, we're obviously keeping them
Other teams have eyes. They see the limitations of Barron, Farrell and Heineman. Their respective market value is comparatively low.

We aren’t moving up significantly in the draft by dangling these and other ‘lesser’ assets. To obtain value you have to offer value, and for the Canadiens, at least with respect to prospects, that means Beck, Fowler, Hutson, Mailloux or Roy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anardil

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

IMHO

I think we need to wait, we still need elite talent, we have plenty of cap space. The rebuild is far from over.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Other teams have eyes. They see the limitations of Barron, Farrell and Heineman. Their respective market value is comparatively low.

We aren’t moving up significantly in the draft by dangling these and other ‘lesser’ assets. To obtain value you have to offer value and for the Canadiens, at least with respect to prospects that means Beck, Fowler, Hutson, Maillouxor Roy.

What I expect for Barron, Farrell and Heineman ain't high end pieces, obviously.
What I'd want would be either similar prospect, kind of like a lottery ticket that we'd buy with a lottery ticket, or I'd combine them with 1rst round pick (I'd make them all available, beside Montréal 2024 1st, and package that for a high end prospect, or a solid young player

Of course, the target for this type of trade would be a team that want to start a rebuild right away, or begin a retool (Calgary, Buffalo, etc)

Hughes would have to be a f***ing moron to trade Beck, Fowler, Hutson, Mailloux or Roy (we need those pieces, since most of them are with the Habs in 2 years top), unless he receives an offer he can't refuses

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No speedup.
Stay the course.

No to the buyouts.

UFA's almost never help. You're doing it the right way. Build through the draft.
Ya unless you can get a UFA like if PLD gives a discount, its not a smart option for a rebuilding team to get a premium piece in UFA. Maybe a few supports like Yzerman did, short term contracts.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ya unless you can get a UFA like if PLD gives a discount, its not a smart option for a rebuilding team to get a premium piece in UFA. Maybe a few supports like Yzerman did, short term contracts.
I doubt Hughes will go the UFA route. I would not be that surprised if he ended up trading our 2024 first (granted it’s #5-7) and one of our young D for a legit top under 27 with term/good contract. It just feels like the timing is right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad