Post-Game Talk: Habs outshoot Wings 2:1

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm not as upset about this loss as the Carolina one (mostly because Cam Ward is bad and they didn't take advantage of his shakiness), but look what happened when the puck was thrown on net... It turned into Detroit's only goal. Kudos to Larkin.

Is there a difference between throwing it on net and taking stupid shots? Absolutely. But there's too many guys trying to do too much with the puck on their stick.

Tobeflop

Jan 19, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I think pretty much everything's been said about last night's game already, but I'm still baffled by one thing.

Why doesn't Green shoot the puck? From what I understood, the Wings acquired him because of his ability to score goals and boost the offense in general. Whenever the Wings were on a PP, I found myself yelling "SHOOT!" at my TV several times, because Green held on to the puck either too long, or just passed it to someone else. I know it was his fifth game in the Winged Wheel, but man. Shoot the puck.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not as upset about this loss as the Carolina one (mostly because Cam Ward is bad and they didn't take advantage of his shakiness), but look what happened when the puck was thrown on net... It turned into Detroit's only goal. Kudos to Larkin.

Is there a difference between throwing it on net and taking stupid shots? Absolutely. But there's too many guys trying to do too much with the puck on their stick.

The difference that one was what Mikael Samuelsson did and the other was everyone else. :)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Z is the only guy that can control the puck right now. I haven't seen any other player on the team do that this year unless it was on a breakaway.

Not sure where these line combos are coming from either. Like was Blash really expecting Glenny to produce on the second line? Tatar needs to start showing up too. He was benched for most of the third.

Have to get it together going forward. Three winnable games coming up. No more excuses. If not, tear it down and bring up more kids. AA is ready, and Mantha and Little Bert are almost there as well.

I'd really like to roll with a 4th line of Bert-AA-Glendening. :yo: Trade Abby while he's at his highest value and see what you can get for Helm and Q. I realize no real changes will be made at this point but those are the major changes I want to see once the season fully gets away from us. :naughty:

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I can't see us trading Abby, mainly because without him, who will play physically up front? Franzen's future is in doubt, and Glenny cannot score in a top 6 role. The only reason to trade him would be if he doesn't want to stay and sign a new deal. With him being a Michigan boy, I think he's happy here.

Helm though, I really don't see staying. I love the guy to death, but he's so injury prone and his role is diminishing with the team. Put him up front, he doesn't put up huge numbers, but when he's in a depth role he seems to disappear. It's almost like he was still injured yesterday because I saw him like twice in the ice.

You would think he would want to go elsewhere and not only get paid more, but have a more secure role in the lineup. At this point Larkin ≥ Helm, and that's bad for him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can't see us trading Abby, mainly because without him, who will play physically up front? Franzen's future is in doubt, and Glenny cannot score in a top 6 role. The only reason to trade him would be if he doesn't want to stay and sign a new deal. With him being a Michigan boy, I think he's happy here.

Helm though, I really don't see staying. I love the guy to death, but he's so injury prone and his role is diminishing with the team. Put him up front, he doesn't put up huge numbers, but when he's in a depth role he seems to disappear. It's almost like he was still injured yesterday because I saw him like twice in the ice.

You would think he would want to go elsewhere and not only get paid more, but have a more secure role in the lineup. At this point Larkin ≥ Helm, and that's bad for him.

Sheahan isn't a scoring line center. He can easily outscore Abby as a winger and he's still on a good contract. I'd trade Abby for maximum value/return and replace him with Sheahan on Z/Larkin's line.

Centers
1st line: Z or Larkin
2nd line: Datsyuk
3rd line: Richards
4th line: AA or Glendening

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Sheahan isn't a scoring line center. He can easily outscore Abby as a winger and he's still on a good contract. I'd trade Abby for maximum value/return and replace him with Sheahan on Z/Larkin's line.

Centers
1st line: Z or Larkin
2nd line: Datsyuk
3rd line: Richards
4th line: AA or Glendening

Really? I'm begging Sheahan to show me something. So far, some hints of a scoring touch but mostly..... nada. So, easily outscore Abby? Hardly.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Really? I'm begging Sheahan to show me something. So far, some hints of a scoring touch but mostly..... nada. So, easily outscore Abby? Hardly.

He has clearly outproduced Abby at the same stage of development their careers. Put Sheahan on a line with Z and Larkin and he'll score plenty.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
He has clearly outproduced Abby at the same stage of development their careers. Put Sheahan on a line with Z and Larkin and he'll score plenty.

By that logic Larkin will end up with 2x the career points of McDavid. Abby is picking spots and making shots, carrying his load and being a physical presence on a skill line who adds a scoring touch. Maybe Sheahan would be equal or better but basing it on where Sheahan is now vs where Abby was t that age holds no water for current output.

I wish I could invest on that principle though, I'd be rich.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The thing that bummed me out about the first goal, Is if Detroit had done the same thing to Carey Price the goal most likely is disallowed. Seems more and more lately like the Wings are getting a bum rap when they play Montreal in Montreal case in point last year when the refs called Abby for Goaltender Interference on Price. Abby was about at least a half of foot out of the crease if any thing Price was interfering with Abby keeping him from near the crease Price wasn't even concerned about playing the puck but more concerned on keeping Abby from getting closer to the crease.

I think it's more badluck than anything else. When we play against NYR guys like Kreider flop on price as soon as a fly touch them and the refs don't do anything about it. I would even go as far as to say it's part of their strategy.

Looks like the bad calls in our favor happen always against Detroit. But i can tell you we've been on the wrong side of bad calls as much as anyone in the last couple of years.

imo Gallagher's goal should not have been allowed.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
By that logic Larkin will end up with 2x the career points of McDavid. Abby is picking spots and making shots, carrying his load and being a physical presence on a skill line who adds a scoring touch. Maybe Sheahan would be equal or better but basing it on where Sheahan is now vs where Abby was t that age holds no water for current output.

I wish I could invest on that principle though, I'd be rich.

You're really using 5 games to make your point? LOL, good luck using that amazing skill IRL. :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You're really using 5 games to make your point? LOL, good luck using that amazing skill IRL. :laugh:

Abby scored 23 goals last year, too. It's not just 5 games. I think he brought up a very valid point. He's saying that just because Sheahan is doing better than Abdelkader at the same age, doesn't mean right now he is going to do better. It's a fair point.

We're all very hopeful for what Sheahan can produce moving forward, but right now he can't "easily" outscore Abby. You can say he can, but there's nothing to really back it up.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Sheahan has a good shot, I wish he would use it more. He is also one of the better defensive forwards on the team as well. I believe he has played PK every game so far.

But right now, I can't see any justification in saying he's better than Abby. As much as I am trying to see the game from more of an analytic point of view right now, the numbers are still black and white. We need more production from him no matter where he is in the lineup.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Sheahan has a good shot, I wish he would use it more. He is also one of the better defensive forwards on the team as well. I believe he has played PK every game so far.

But right now, I can't see any justification in saying he's better than Abby. As much as I am trying to see the game from more of an analytic point of view right now, the numbers are still black and white. We need more production from him no matter where he is in the lineup.
I've made my thoughts known on Sheahan for a while now...I don't see much upside with him. He was projected to be a 3rd line guy/checking center that was solid defensively coming out of Notre Dame and that's exactly what he looks like. The flashes of offense he showed during his first stint with the big club set expectations WAAAAY too high IMO. Abs doesn't have much natural skill but his mindset of being physical and battling in the hard areas of the ice to create chances for himself are two things Sheahan has not shown at all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've made my thoughts known on Sheahan for a while now...I don't see much upside with him. He was projected to be a 3rd line guy/checking center that was solid defensively coming out of Notre Dame and that's exactly what he looks like. The flashes of offense he showed during his first stint with the big club set expectations WAAAAY too high IMO. Abs doesn't have much natural skill but his mindset of being physical and battling in the hard areas of the ice to create chances for himself are two things Sheahan has not shown at all.

I'm not seeing Sheahan being much above a 3C yet, either, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sheahan can play further up the lineup at wing. We saw it with Flip, who was far more productive and involved offensively every time he was shifted to wing. I'd be curious if his physical play wouldn't go up a bit without the defensive responsibilities of center weighing on him, too.

Actual Thought*

Abby scored 23 goals last year, too. It's not just 5 games. I think he brought up a very valid point. He's saying that just because Sheahan is doing better than Abdelkader at the same age, doesn't mean right now he is going to do better. It's a fair point.

We're all very hopeful for what Sheahan can produce moving forward, but right now he can't "easily" outscore Abby. You can say he can, but there's nothing to really back it up.

I agree. Not only that but Sheehan has big size and doesn't use it at all. He has zero physicality in his game. He is nothing like Abby and no matter how many points he might put up is not a replacement for what Abby does.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Incoming Sens fan. The goal by Gallagher was an absolute joke, but the refs calling it a fair goal was not a surprise whatsoever. Over the years I've come to expect horid officiating when facing off against the Habs and it is a complete joke that the league repeatedly let's it happen, but hey, welcome to the Eastern Conference and that is way it will seamingly always be.

Anyways, best of luck this year with your Wings and look forward to batting against you guys.

Incoming Habs fan.

Urban legend.

Over the last 6 years, Montréal had 21 more PPs than PKs at home.

As a point of comparison, over the last 6 years, Detroit had 88 more PPs than PKs at home.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
First star should go to the refs.
FW90165.jpg
Only in Montreal. Last year it was amazing what they got away with.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Only in Montreal. Last year it was amazing what they got away with.

I remember that Montreal game, and the game against the NYR where DDK got high sticked in the face (blood was drawn), ref saw the whole thing since it happened right in front of him, and no penalty was issued.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I remember that Montreal game, and the game against the NYR where DDK got high sticked in the face (blood was drawn), ref saw the whole thing since it happened right in front of him, and no penalty was issued.

Remember this terrible call?

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I agree. Not only that but Sheehan has big size and doesn't use it at all. He has zero physicality in his game. He is nothing like Abby and no matter how many points he might put up is not a replacement for what Abby does.

Yup. People like complaining that Andersson doesn't use his size (though I find it funny that he actually does it for once and immediately gets a penalty for it) so it's kind of strange that Sheahan gets a pass for it. I mean, he's a fine skater for his size too so he doesn't even have Andersson's poor speed to blame. He just never throws a hit and I really wish he would. Just doesn't seem to have it in him.

As for the tying goal, Mickey said that they allowed it because it wasn't a coach's challenge so they couldn't judge on goalie interference, just if it was directed in legally (ie not kicked in, which it wasn't). If so I'd like to know, was Blashill not allowed to use his challenge or did he just mess up by not doing it?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
How can you be expected to make a save when you're bracing for impact from a human cannonball? Yeah, should have been no goal.

At the same time, I'm not even that mad about it. The Wings would have gotten their ass kicked regardless.

To be honest A team playing tied, or playing 1 goal down is a big difference. We get called no goal there, the STYLE of play would need to be changed by MTL. They have to play more aggressive and risky than they can 1-1. Being a super-defensive team. Being ahead on them , is likely the only way to win the game.

Green played great all game. He got +3 from me.
He made 1 MAJOR mistake in the 3rd. I gave him 2 minuses for basically giving their team goal #3.

1 mistake only, but everyone will remember it. That is kind of how being a defender works.

shots on goal is a result of all the powerplays. We stay out of the box, and they wont get 15+ PP shots on net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad