Post-Game Talk: Habs outshoot the Hawks AND outplay them for 10 mins in the first period!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Coaches will always have some weird player decisions. I hated how Martin handled the Kost bros and questioned a bunch of other decisions, but that doesn't mean he wasn't head and shoulders above Therrien.
Same here with Julien. He has some dinosaure tactics at times, like trusting a vet like Plekanec over Galch for the center spot, but he's not comparable to Therrien, he's still a cerebral coach. The roster he has now though, forget it. Way too many holes.
Personally I don't like any of those coaches. At least though, CJ and Martin are NHL caliber. They preached D a lot more than I liked and made some weird moves but MT was beyond the pale. Just a God awful coach. I have no idea how he got a job in the NHL.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Trading for Duchene isn’t one of Bergevin normal rehab project, bargain bin, dumpster dive type trades.
Any new GM would be happy to have an asset like Duchene on the roster.
I personally think Galchenyuk is done in Montreal. He has been screwed over so many times by the current regime and past coach that I don’t think he has his head or his heart in the team any more.

I was expecting Galchenyuk to be traded this past summer and was surprised MB even gave him a 3 year contract. It's obvious the GM and coach don't have much faith in this player. Maybe MB tried to trade Galchenyuk this summer and was only offered scraps so it was best to re-sign him and hope for the best. I still don't think he will last the season as a Hab which is too bad since I had high hopes for this player.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I believe it's more about your favouritism than any weird decisions by Julien. One can be critical of Plekanec's last season compared to his contract, but he's actually a reliable player 5 on 5 and one of our best forwards so far this year. He's still a better player and a much better center than Galchenyuk.

Plekanec has played at the level of a 4th-3rd liner tweener the past couple of years... Just because you can take a face off better than the other guy does not make you a better player.

It's this kind of thinking that has gotten us in this position in the first place. Over-emphasis and blowing out of proportion the aspects that grinders excel at, and marginalizing actual talent.

Reactions: muzion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I believe it's more about your favouritism than any weird decisions by Julien. One can be critical of Plekanec's last season compared to his contract, but he's actually a reliable player 5 on 5 and one of our best forwards so far this year. He's still a better player and a much better center than Galchenyuk.
I have defended Plekanec on plenty of criticism on this board before but there is no need to pretend like he is what he used to be. He isn't. He is still reliable, yes, and he should be used as the 3rd center. His creativity on offense is pretty much non existent. He is good at moving the puck forward and solid defensively, but in the offensive zone, he does the same thing. We need more skills and creativity in the offensive zone.
Galchenyuk, despite his experience, is still a work in progress with better offensive potential. The hope is for him to finally blossom but he isn't going to do that next to Mitchell on the bottom lines.

And I have zero favouritism towards Galchenyuk. You can trade him for all I care. I am not particularly a fan of his. But I know he isn't going to do much of anything being used as he has.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Is there a day that goes by that Chris Nilan doesn't crap on Alex Galchenyuk on air? Everyday he seems to be on Galchenyuk. This is becoming like when Nilan and Marinaro did a 180 on Subban 3 or 4 months before he was traded.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I was expecting Galchenyuk to be traded this past summer and was surprised MB even gave him a 3 year contract. It's obvious the GM and coach don't have much faith in this player. Maybe MB tried to trade Galchenyuk this summer and was only offered scraps so it was best to re-sign him and hope for the best. I still don't think he will last the season as a Hab which is too bad since I had high hopes for this player.

If their mentality was hope for the best, they need to stop putting him in situations to fail. We're seeing it with Drouin now. He's not a Center, he hasn't been horrible but if you want to get the best results from him, play him on the wing where he should be. The kid has so much skill, play him where he has the best advantage and best chance to help the team win.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Is there a day that goes by that Chris Nilan doesn't crap on Alex Galchenyuk on air? Everyday he seems to be on Galchenyuk. This is becoming like when Nilan and Marinaro did a 180 on Subban 3 or 4 months before he was traded.

Galchenyuk is absolutely getting traded, and it won't be for a good enough return.

Someone joked about Galchenyuk for Craig Smith. Not only could I absolutely see that happening, but I think I even made the same joke about the same player to a friend of mine last year.

"I didn't want to trade Galchenyuk, I wasn't shopping him, but when a GM calls you and offers you CRAIG SMITH, perennial 20 goal scorer, well, obviously I'm going to listen!"

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I would echo noble six, i dont like anything hab related right now. I cheered for our lose as the only way forward. We knew the gm had to go before subban was traded. I have been watching other teams, because this hodge podge of terribleness has no identity. Boring hockey, still hate juliens system, and the worse D i have ever seen for the habs. Our center issue is almost irrelvant. We knew it was terrible, but making our D this bad as well!

Go leafs go, help to make us a better team. 8-0 short term pain for long term rewards

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Yes they did outplay them in the first 10 minutes then folded like a cheap lawn chair when they got scored on, disgusting as well as predictable.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Marinaro bringing up the Habs pro scouting and the types of players they recommend that MB acquire and them turning out to be disasters for the most part. I think he has a good point which he sometimes does come up with. :)

This entire front office needs a complete cleansing and a change in mentality on how to build a team for the current NHL which is about speed and skill instead of slow and dumb..

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Um.......a picnic?

"We're not looking for moral victories. This just makes us bear down to be even better, every game," said captain Max Pacioretty, who had three shots on goal and five more that were blocked or missed the net. "There's never an easy night in the NHL. Tonight proves it. We thought we were going to have a picnic the way we were playing (early) but we got away from our game and they made us pay."

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-not-panicking-yet/c-291815090?tid=277548856

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Um.......a picnic?

"We're not looking for moral victories. This just makes us bear down to be even better, every game," said captain Max Pacioretty, who had three shots on goal and five more that were blocked or missed the net. "There's never an easy night in the NHL. Tonight proves it. We thought we were going to have a picnic the way we were playing (early) but we got away from our game and they made us pay."

https://www.nhl.com/news/montreal-canadiens-not-panicking-yet/c-291815090?tid=277548856

"We could use a little bit of puck luck, no doubt, but there's more we can do with maybe some confidence. At some point, every team in the League is going to go through that. We're going through it at the beginning of the year."

:facepalm: x 100

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Galchenyuk is terrible Patches is terrible

for all the whining the defense isn't even bad at all. Unless those two guys start competing it's going to be a long season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Galchenyuk is terrible Patches is terrible

for all the whining the defense isn't even bad at all. Unless those two guys start competing it's going to be a long season.

How is the defence "not bad at all"?

It's all icings, turn-overs and loss of possession.
It resulted in 3 goals just last night where the opposition scored.. virtually on top of our goaltender.

Weber has been vanilla.
Petry has made terrible decisions.
Alzner is non-existent in that I'm pretty sure he is a floating mist out there and pucks and bodies go through him.
Benn is a dumpster fire of bad decisions, terrible puck movement, terrible positionally and altogether horrendous.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Team can't score, team can't win.
Prospect pool is empty...

erm...what are we trying to do here?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
How is the defence "not bad at all"?

It's all icings, turn-overs and loss of possession.
It resulted in 3 goals just last night where the opposition scored.. virtually on top of our goaltender.

Weber has been vanilla.
Petry has made terrible decisions.
Alzner is non-existent in that I'm pretty sure he is a floating mist out there and pucks and bodies go through him.
Benn is a dumpster fire of bad decisions, terrible puck movement, terrible positionally and altogether horrendous.
Vanilla is awesome, so agreed about Weber.
Mete continues to impress and looks like he belongs in the top 4.
Petry needs to WTFU.
Benn needs to GTFO.
Alzner hasn't been bad at all, your perspective is obviously skewed.

We basically need to fix the 3rd pair, and with Schlemko close, and Jerabek and Lernout knocking on the door, we have the pieces.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Even with all the doom and gloom about the Habs start I've liked what I've seen from Lehkonen and Hudon. How Hudon never got a fair shot at sticking with the Habs before this season is beyond me.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even with all the doom and gloom about the Habs start I've liked what I've seen from Lehkonen and Hudon. How Hudon never got a fair shot at sticking with the Habs before this season is beyond me.

We haven't needed offense until this season.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yeah, with proper usage, development, and support from his coach and GM who knows what Galchenyuk could have become in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad