Post-Game Talk: Habs or Knights. Who you picking to Win?

Habs or Knights. Who you picking to Win?

• Total voters

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, that sucks.

The only bright side...if the Habs do win the Cup, the arena in Ottawa will be pretty much empty this winter as a third of our fanbase goes back to their old team. Fairweather fans are gonna abandon ship and fly the red, white and bleu next year for sure.

Reactions: Sicko

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Born in Quebec City during the Nordiques years, I could never, ever cheer for the Habs. But I just feel so happy for the Habs fans in this province, which is almost everyone. Montreal was hit particularly hard compared to the rest of the country during the pandemic. I think as a province we did reasonably well this past winter enduring the non-stop curfew, then, lined up to get their shots when it was time, I think they need and deserve some joy and happiness.

And if it's going to be one of Canada's teams to win it, I'd much rather it be the Habs than the Leafs, they can keep suffering.

Well, that sucks.

The only bright side...if the Habs do win the Cup, the arena in Ottawa will be pretty much empty this winter as a third of our fanbase goes back to their old team. Fairweather fans are gonna abandon ship and fly the red, white and bleu next year for sure.

But for the 3-4 home games against the Habs, Melnyk will be able to make it a super-duper platinum game. So it'll probably make up for the difference... :(

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Well, that sucks.

Guess we'll just need to win the cup next year and get them back :sarcasm:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
lol...yeah. Odds are we don't even sniff the playoffs next season. :(

Hoping we make a playoff push next season, but dont expect to make it. I hope we do but got my expectations lowered.

Its the year after I'll consider it a failure if they are on the outside looking in again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hoping we make a playoff push next season, but dont expect to make it. I hope we do but got my expectations lowered.

Its the year after I'll consider it a failure if they are on the outside looking in again.

Same. Perhaps even the year after that, depending how fast Sanderson acclimatizes to the league (and depending when he gets here). We still have a ways to go. And also assuming management doesn't get all impatient and sells off half the farm for a quick fix that never works out.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This is absolutely absurd. You wouldn't take him for free?!?! He was a super star all year long. Did you watch one game? It reads like you haven't watched anything but the last two games. Literally all the professionals that cover that team and his teammates do nothing but talk about how incredible of a leader and player he is. He was up for the selke trophy this year. Scored over a ppg. It wasn't a narrative about him being top 5 to 10 winger its because he is good. He was a young player developing thats how it works. He carries linemates to career years on multiple teams. His possession numbers are off the charts. He drives a line like a center.

Then to double down and say you like the return?!?! The return is absolutely putrid. Brannstrom couldn't play in a series like that.

Your emotional attachment to Stone is becoming an unhealthy one...

So much wrong with this post but to answer your question - No, I would not want Stone at 10m for the next 6 seasons. Nothing absurd about it my guy, just frugal cap management.

Next - Yes I watched Stone all playoffs long. Did you? Everyone including Mark Stone is being hyper critical of his performance because it was putrid. It sort of feels like you were the one to watch him play just one or two games, and then assumed that he was the regular season version of himself in the other rounds this year. Spoiler Alert - he was not.

He had a 4 game pointless streak in between round one/two (two of them were in elimination games).

Then he had a 7 game pointless streak between rounds two/three - again two of those seven games were elimination games for his team.

And not only was he not contributing offensively at all, but by the end of the Montreal series he was literally hurting his team on the ice with indifferent plays and by being totally ineffective with the minutes he was given. He was the furthest thing from this line driving multiplier that you are describing, and wasn't playing what anyone would call a solid two-way game.

And his body language on the ice and bench (visibly frustrated/rattled/sulky), as the captain and leader, was no help at all to his very frustrated and floundering team with no confidence... Adverse situations are where the true great leaders shine, just saying... Mark Stone wears his his heart on his sleeve - which is great and his positivity is infectious when times are good - but its seemingly problematic when times are not so good, and hes the one thats expected to calm his team down and guide them through tricky waters.

Mark Stone is 29 years old now, and this myth that hes been this young budding star for the last 4 years is a fallacy. He was a 60pt player at age 22, and he did not just recently figure it all out...That was his prime, and we probably gave up 2 solid years of it in reality. And hes now very likely on his way out of it....

And Brannstrom is still only 21yrs old, 8 full years younger than Stone, what kind of nonsensical point are you trying to make about him playing in the ECF this year and struggling? On what team? And are we talking like Mark Stone struggling? Worse???

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They're not really a rival. Maybe a Buffalo type rivalry that picks up when there's a playoff series between the two but Toronto is the only true rivalry.

Reality is there's probably a lot of nice and normal people in both fanbases but there's also a bunch of morons on both sides. I'm sure there's as many Habs fans who mock/talk down on Sens fans/team/city as much as Leafs do. Montreal is much closer to Ottawa, Gatineau (Habs land now) is 5 mins away, and they met twice in recent playoffs. Last time Ottawa met Toronto in the playoffs is 17 years ago. No idea why the Leafs are a bigger rival than Montreal but apparently, judging by the pulse of this board, it's really not comparable. A good portion of Sens fans are actually cheering for the Habs so it makes me realize that I could become a Habs fan without being a quitter lol

Sour grapes make the best whine

I'm not sour at all. I talked to a few friends last night and they are still trying to make me join their ranks lol... I would be considering it but I know that if I do that, I won't care as much for the Sens and they would become 2nd. But then I'd just have to listen to JiC for 5 mins for example to quit the project :sarcasm:

That’s just montrealers in general. They hate anything not from Montreal. Full stop. They hate St-Jerome they hate Brossard, they have Sorel-Tracy etc

I'd say it's actually the opposite. Montreal and the surroundings is multicultural, over 200 000 college students from everywhere on the planet, people talk several langages and don't live in a resentful separatist mentality and/or hate the anglos. Montreal is actually mostly english first. Yes, a part of montrealers live in the past and think Montreal is the best place on earth (which is lol I admit) but I'd say "Habs morons" mostly come from places like St-Jerome. Brossard is mainly an asian city. I live very close

Last edited:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Crazy how these things turn around on a dime. Habs were 2 minutes away from being down 2-1, thoroughly outplayed in two of the first three games until Fleury gives them life. From that point on, Montreal's confidence went through the roof and Vegas broke down mentally and never recovered.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So embarrassed to be a Senator fan right now, our fanbase literally has zero pride left that they are cheering for a rival to win the cup.

The same rival who's fans constantly shit all over us and our players when their team has done nothing in the past two decades. The only thing the Habs had going for them was a cup almost 30 years ago, and their fans still managed to act like entitled pricks.

Goodluck discussing hockey with them if they win another cup.

Sad but true. One of my friends told me last night that he has been waiting 28 years to see a Canadian team win the Cup, that he would even cheer if it was the Leafs (I said really?) but happy the habs have the opportunity now. A lot of nice people cheer for the Habs but unfortunately, a lot of morons kinda ruin it. Again last night :

autopatrouille-spvm-vandalisme-victoire-canadien.jpg

It's hard to have a rivalry with other teams when your team sucks.

If we were competitive it would be different, but the Senators have been irrelevant for like 5 years. Hopefully that changes.

Only 4 years ago, Sens came only one OT goal away from reaching the finals. Habs have been below average during those 4 years, until these playoffs. They even had a losing record this season.

But yeah I'm sure that if we made the playoffs and they beat us while trashtalking our team/players (think of Tkachuk lol), Sens fans wouldn't be outright cheering for them!

Born in Quebec City during the Nordiques years, I could never, ever cheer for the Habs. But I just feel so happy for the Habs fans in this province, which is almost everyone. Montreal was hit particularly hard compared to the rest of the country during the pandemic. I think as a province we did reasonably well this past winter enduring the non-stop curfew, then, lined up to get their shots when it was time, I think they need and deserve some joy and happiness.

Yes but at the same time, covid was out of control at first here because we had a bigger proportion of conspirancists and people who don't care about others. As usual, the majority had to double down on responsability and discipline to avoid worse.

Habs fans online are definitely entitled assholes (especially on this forum), but all the ones I know in real life are all good people who know a lot of hockey, so I'm happy for them.

Same here. Real life Habs fans I know are all nice/normal people, not the kind of ******* you're talking about. I can think of a few that could possibly be of that ilk but a very small minority in my circles.

Trying focus on nice people and not thinking about the morons. But yeah, if the habs win the Cup, we'll pretty much have to avoid many internet places for a least a decade or until the Sens win as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not sour at all. I talked to a few friends last night and they are still trying to make me join their ranks lol... I would be considering it but I know that if I do that, I won't care as much for the Sens and they would become 2nd. But then I'd just have to listen to JiC for 5 mins for example to quit the project :sarcasm:

That's my biggest worry. Out here (east of Ottawa), this was habsland before the existence of the Sens, and to this day nearly half the people here are still habs fans (along with a stupid amount of leaf fans, but that's another story). It took one hell of a long time for Ottawa to get a small trickle of fandom started out here....I fear a habs Cup will send most of those newish Sens fans here right back to the habs. And if that happens, I don't see any way we can woo them back into the fold.

Reactions: TheDebater

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
That's my biggest worry. Out here (east of Ottawa), this was habsland before the existence of the Sens, and to this day nearly half the people here are still habs fans (along with a stupid amount of leaf fans, but that's another story). It took one hell of a long time for Ottawa to get a small trickle of fandom started out here....I fear a habs Cup will send most of those newish Sens fans here right back to the habs. And if that happens, I don't see any way we can woo them back into the fold.
Fairweather fans are always a thing. If the Sens are winning in the playoffs, lots of people will come out of the woodwork

Reactions: Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

And it's actually very risky from a business standpoint. As we know, Sens always outcheered and outnumbered in Kanata vs the Leafs/Habs. As we could see in 2017, it's not even garanteed they can fill the arena on a playoffs run even in the SCF! Habs/Leafs could easily fill their rinks 2-3 times in that situation

If Ottawa never lost its team in 1934, things could have been very different (Habs would probably have less than 24 Cups, Ottawa would have more than 11 so the 24 (soon 25?) Cups narrative wouldn't exist), the fanbase would be strongly rooted. But the reality is it took 58 years to get a team back and right in the middle of Leafs/Habs land who have roots for over 100+ years now. It has been an uphill battle ever since to gain followers.

So now imagine the Leafs win the Cup next year. That would be disastrous for the Senators. Imagine the pressure, it would never be a viable business until they win something. If Melnyk wants to sell/move the franchise... I think Bettman is protecting that from happening but things can change and he won't be there another 20 years. Pressure is now on Ottawa to become a contender.

Speaking of last night, this is what I said to that friend : "Congrats D!" and he replied "come on, Habs are fun to watch. We'll cheer for the Sens in a few years"

He didn't even say hi or thanks lol, the first thing he said was to rally me to their cause. Habs fans are dialed in and want to convert every "lost soul", which is something I doubt you see Sens fans ever doing. And what would be the arguments? lol

So that's why I was very surprised to see that many Sens fans cheering for Montreal. It's not a good thing for Ottawa, it's a direct competitor in terms of market. Sens are losing a LOT of ground right now. It's almost like cheering for the guy stealing your gf! :laugh:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The good thing about the Habs winning the Cup (or even being in the SC Final) is when we beat them we will know we are taking down the Stanley Cup champs. I like that part of it.

Reactions: Back in Black

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Well, that sucks.

Someone can be a fan of more than one team.

Only 4 years ago, Sens came only one OT goal away from reaching the finals. Habs have been below average during those 4 years, until these playoffs. They even had a losing record this season.

I firmly believe that the Sens would have won the Cup that year too, Pitt walked all over Nashville.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The titles in the polls section at the moment :

Does Corey Perry deserve to go into the hall of fame?
Is Bergevin a Generational GM?
Will Phil the Thrill Danault re-sign with Habs or test UFA?
Cole Caufield re-draft 2019
Other
Does Montreal make the playoffs in 2021-2022?
Underdog Stanley Cup Final Runs
Best PP vs Best PK? (MTL being the best PK)
Other
then 8 more MTL related threads on the first page

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
The titles in the polls section at the moment :

Does Corey Perry deserve to go into the hall of fame?
Is Bergevin a Generational GM?
Will Phil the Thrill Danault re-sign with Habs or test UFA?
Cole Caufield re-draft 2019
Other
Does Montreal make the playoffs in 2021-2022?
Underdog Stanley Cup Final Runs
Best PP vs Best PK? (MTL being the best PK)
Other
then 8 more MTL related threads on the first page

Can you really blame them though ? Leafs fans do it in pre season

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can you really blame them though ? Leafs fans do it in pre season

No and I didn't. My post was 100% informative

Like I said to my friend last night, make sure to appreciate it because we never know how long it'll take until next opportunity. It was 28 years for the Habs since their last SCF and now 14 years for Sens fans (2007)

PS : Leafs fans are irrelevant if they do... Bragging so much when your team hasn't won a playoffs round in 17 years? Habs + Sens have won 17 playoffs rounds since (lol?)

Reactions: Kennedys

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Had a dream that MTL won the series but I’m still going with Vegas.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Yeah I'm officially done being a well wisher (in that I don't wish them any specific harm) for the Habs. Thanks for beating the Leafs and Vegas, but now it's time for the Bolts to end this Cinderella run, just like they did to Corey Perry's previous team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Same. Perhaps even the year after that, depending how fast Sanderson acclimatizes to the league (and depending when he gets here). We still have a ways to go. And also assuming management doesn't get all impatient and sells off half the farm for a quick fix that never works out.
Ya, I basically agree with this. Pinto, Formenton & JBD played some games towards the end of the season, but we still don't know exactly what we have in them yet. And Sanderson hasn't played even one NHL game yet, and will only get some games in towards the end of the season (hopefully).

We are getting ahead of ourselves if we think its time for some trades and/or big splashes. Being patient now will pay big dividends in the future imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad